Do you wear football tops abroad?

Lofarl

Do you wear your teams top in another country and enlighten the backwards locals about such teams as Dundee United or Falkirk?  Or do you think I’m a grown adult and I’ll look like a massive fanny walking around another country wearing a teams top that no one has heard off?  

I will say Celtic/Sevco fans are great for wearing brand new tops where ever they travel.  It serves very well as a warning sign not to strike up any sort of conversation with them and try and hide your accent within earshot of them.  Come to think of it.  It should be mandatory for them to wear club tops whenever they travel.  The same goes for Liverpool fans.  Man U fans used it to do this, but they are shit now.

European games are excluded naturally.

Edited by Lofarl
Bored

IMO, football tops on holiday should be treated the same way you do with 5s/exercise. If you gonna sweat in it, or need a shirt to cover yourself from getting sunburnt, it's fair game.

Taking it with you when actively travelling, out for dinner/drinks is more within the 'for the watching' type behaviour.

11 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

OK lounging about at a beach resort, not OK at somewhere like the Louvre Museum or on a tour of Auschwitz.

I'm with you on this one, I generally pack an Ayr Utd top on my travels and tend to wear it when I'm out on a randan session, however I totally agree that there's a time and a place and that place is generally sitting at a beachfront bar in the Costa Dorada or Costa Del Sol relaxing with a few Estrella Damm's or San Miguels.

I should note that I haven't been to Lanzarote and I don't take selfies and post them anywhere.............

IMO, football tops on holiday should be treated the same way you do with 5s/exercise. If you gonna sweat in it, or need a shirt to cover yourself from getting sunburnt, it's fair game.
Taking it with you when actively travelling, out for dinner/drinks is more within the 'for the watching' type behaviour.

Agree, football tops are for football, the gym or on holiday around the pool or possibly the beach when you’re willing to get it sweaty/sandy/minging.

Anything else is weird behaviour and the behaviour of a delinquent.

Would only wear a #retro effort or something just old.

That "half your age plus 7" rule for relationships should also apply to football tops imo. I'm 26 so only 20 year old tops for me.  The 1996-1998 Frikin Brewery top is my favorite that I wear all the time.

Also important to make sure you never wear anything even approaching matching top, shorts and socks. Even at fives it's crucial that there's no chance of anyone even mistaking you for a #FullKitWanker. I've kept a set of generic bright yellow football socks which solves when wearing Dundee or Scotland attire.

Apart from the yellow Scotland tops, that is. 

Anyway, no. Any person over 15 wearing football tops not either playing football, at the gym or attending a match should, most likely, be placed on the sex offenders register before they eventually actually commit the crime. 

Saying that, I will be taking last seasons away top with me on holiday in October. Hopefully some pub in Portugal will take it off my hands. 

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 11:36, LongTimeLurker said:

OK lounging about at a beach resort, not OK at somewhere like the Louvre Museum or on a tour of Auschwitz.

It's not often I am speechless, but I certainly was when I saw an older gentlemen wearing football colours at Dachau. .

You can go on a foreign holiday, get totally pissed up in the sun and wear any football top. Its not illegal, if anything its just giving off the signal that the person is a moron with very few interests.

No, as I'm not a complete roaster.  Indeed, I haven't owned a football top since I was 18/19 and bought the 04/05 ICT home top for our first season in the SPL.  And I only wore it to about 2 games when it was warm.  Never anywhere else.