Books

The Night Circus  Erin Morgenstern 

the worst journey in the world , apsley cherry-Garrad 

Anything by Tim Powers , personal fave  the Anubis gates , on stranger tides runs it close and it is much better than the pirates of the Caribbean film of the same name , 

and if you want a series , dig in to the rivers of London books by Ben Aaranovich 

Edited by bishopburn boy

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Any history recommendations that aren't too heavy? Scottish history preferred but would read anything.

58 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Arthur Herman - The Scottish Enlightenment

Antony Beevor - Stalingrad

Norman Davies - Europe: A History

Last one is quite a big tome but surprisingly readable. I've read it through twice and might do it again now you've put it in my head.

Stalingrad is good although I preferred Enemy at the Gates by William Craig.

I've just finished reading Russia's War by Richard Ovary, which gives a fairly detailed overview of the ostfront from the Soviet perspective.

I'm keen to read more about the Eastern Front in WW1 but there's not much out there.

13 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Arthur Herman - The Scottish Enlightenment

Antony Beevor - Stalingrad

Norman Davies - Europe: A History

Last one is quite a big tome but surprisingly readable. I've read it through twice and might do it again now you've put it in my head.

Tom Devine's The Scottish Nation is possibly the best history of post-1707 Scotland.  A bit hard going at times but well worth the time and effort for the overall picture it builds.

17 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Carl Hiassen's crime fiction is very funny. Wee environmental message there as well.  Good summer reading.

His collected newspaper columns are good value as well. Florida politics is fucking mental, and occasionally even more absurd than his fiction.

On Hiaasen, if you like his sense of the absurd, try Tim Dorsey. If it's the crime/thriller aspect of his work that appeals, Randy Wayne White is good value.

It would be easier to recommend books if the OP was clearer as to his/her preferences. Saying that, I'm currently reading a collection of Neil Gaiman Short Stories, "Me, Cheetah" - the autobiography of Tarzan's sidekick, and the Fallout 4 Vault Survivor's Guide*, so I reckon you could say my reading is pretty diverse.

* Just picked up all the DLC in the Steam Sale, so I'm having another go at it. I'd forgotten what a great game it is.

15 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Any history recommendations that aren't too heavy? Scottish history preferred but would read anything.

If you really mean "anything",  try the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. Pretty light reading adventure books, but with some serious footnotes which will pique your curiosity to learn more about some of the events he writes about. Mr American is good, too.

20 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Carl Hiassen's crime fiction is very funny. Wee environmental message there as well.  Good summer reading.

I'd always recommend Carl Hiassen to people as he is good on so many levels. It's very accessible without being too lightweight. It's absurd but still involving. It has this burning anger about the environmental situation bubbling underneath and uses all the funny, likeable characters and absurd baddies to make serious points. And if you just like a crime caper then you'll enjoy it. I'd say if you've enjoyed anything by Christopher Brookmyre you'd like Hiassen and if you enjoy a Rebus novel then you'd also enjoy it as there's plenty of crime and intrigue but in a sunnier climate and with baddies who may have a pet nutjob monkey rather than a Staffie. 

19 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Anything by Tom Holland is worth reading, no Scottish history in there (apart from proto Scots appearing in Aethelstan's Court) but they are written as narrative not as an evaluation of evidence. Mainly covers 500bc to 1000ad across Europe and Middle East. 

Agree with the recommendation of Devine's Scottish Nation. 

20 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Currently reading A short history of Europe by Simon Jenkins which is good. 

Also, the shortest history of Germany is really good. Gives a nice insight to the history of the country. Particularly nice since you live here (if I’m not mistaken). 

1 hour ago, Crroma said:

Lol at people reading books in 2019, go play a videogame or something grandad

Do you feel threatened?

20 minutes ago, Serious Business said:

Like the Roman: The Life of Enoch Powell - Simon Heffer

An outstanding and intimate look at the life of one of the great scholars, linguists, orators and ultimately patriots of the last century.

"Too often today people are ready to tell us: ‘This is not possible, that is not possible.’ I say: whatever the true interest of our country calls for is always possible. We have nothing to fear but our own doubts."

😂

Currently reading A short history of Europe by Simon Jenkins which is good. 
Also, the shortest history of Germany is really good. Gives a nice insight to the history of the country. Particularly nice since you live here (if I’m not mistaken). 
Already have A Short History of Germany. Great read, will look into the Europe book.

On 30/07/2019 at 19:03, bishopburn boy said:

and if you want a series , dig in to the rivers of London books by Ben Aaranovich 

Thanks for this recommendation. Battered through the first half of the first book tonight, cracking stuff. No idea how I hadn't come across it before because it's right up my street.