League cup knock out

stumpy

2 minutes ago, archieb said:

If it's perceived that any sort of shake-up to the format is required then it can be proposed for & voted on at the 2020 AGM

Archie, I don't think anyone's asking for a change.

Just a few don't know the full ins and outs, thus they asked why and some have replied.

A shake up was mentioned, the only reasoning is for interest latter in the rounds after the sectional winners are found out but in reality most know its awkward through midweek so the league cup is the way it is.

37 minutes ago, archieb said:

There are 8 Sections with either 8 or 7 teams, grouped geographically. 4 Sections cover Ayrshire & Renfrewshire (approximately, as Bens & Ants are also included) and the other 4 Sections cover Lanarkshire, Glasgow & Dunbartonshire.

A draw was done before Season #1 (2018-19) to split each Section into 2 Groups of 4 or 3 teams.

The Group winners play off in R2 to determine a Section winner, then the QFs & SFs follow a predetermined geographical draw.

This is done to minimise traveling distances (as most games will be midweek) and to ensure that one finalist is from Ayrshire + Renfrewshire with the other from the old Central Region (minus Renfrewshire).

The predetermined draw also allows clubs to make provisional plans when rounds are scheduled in close succession.

For Season #2 (2019-20) the draw remains exactly the same as Season #1 but with home advantage reversed throughout (apart from a little tweaking) and the scheduling of Group games being rotated so that fixture #2 becomes #1, #3 becomes #2 and #1 becomes #3.

For Season #3 (2020-21) the Sections will remain unchanged, but there will be a new draw to split each into 2 Groups in a different way. (Will there be some sort of seeding to ensure an identical draw is avoided?)

As far as I know the draw for the knockout stages will remain unchanged for Season #3 but perhaps home advantage will be reviewed/re-drawn?

If I've got any of the above wrong then I welcome all corrections & clarification.

For season 3 they should just make it easier by abandoning the daft cup.

• 2 weeks later...

The rush to get it finished is baffling as well. The winner of Cambuslang Rangers v Rutherglen Glencairn on Monday night then have to play away to either Lanark United or Shotts Bon Accord two nights later with a 6.45pm kick off.

Some players of both teams will really struggle to make it on time to prepare properly for kick off. It just makes it a bit of a farce.

I can’t see it being a priority for Whitletts on Monday. Number of boys carrying knocks and still a couple injured. Id expect a few changes from todays team

Another in favour of ditching this cup. For me theres 3 options:

1. Run only with the WoS cup as a knockout

2. Bring back the ayrshire/central knockouts

3. 2 new cups split along divisional lines eg one for top two divisions & one for lower two.

While we're at it patch the evening times cup or whatever its called now thanks.

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

Another in favour of ditching this cup. For me theres 3 options:

1. Run only with the WoS cup as a knockout

2. Bring back the ayrshire/central knockouts

3. 2 new cups split along divisional lines eg one for top two divisions & one for lower two.

While we're at it patch the evening times cup or whatever its called now thanks.

I've thought from the start we ditched the wrong ones, and the Sectional was priority #1 for the bin. The old sections served to perpetuate some half-remembered rivalries I suppose, but the new ones don't even have that to recommend them. Attendances are down for these games all over the shop as the word's out they're just glorified PSFs. I don't think the competition would be missed in the slightest if we ditched it.

Run with the West as the major knockout, and bring back the Central/Ayrshire as second-half-of-the-season knockouts for the lower division clubs who probably won't be involved in the latter stages of the Junior Cup.

Are we even still having the Evening Times? My understanding was it was held over from last season and was going to be played early doors this season, but I've not seen any more about it.

The "Evening Times" (now called the West Region League Champions Cup) is to be held throughout the season on dates that are available. Two semi finals and a final.

As fixtures are allocated now until the end of December, and these games are not listed, I can only assume that they are going to squeeze it in some time towards the end of the season. And that seems utterly pointless, as the whole point of moving it to the next season was so it didn't need to be squeezed in before the end of a season. Now it looks like it'll be squeezed in before the end of the following season, with teams who won the leagues almost a year previously, and even less interest.

It should have been a pre-season tournament held on a Saturday and Sunday in July, like they have at the likes of Kilbirnie and Neilston every year. That would have brought much more interest.