Stirling Albion v Queen's Park

Maybe it's just me but I didn't think the ref was that bad. For me he got the major decisions right! Galt went down far too easily and deserved his booking. For the pen Muir pulled his arms away at the last moment and never touched the Stirling player, on his part he jumped over what he thought was an impending collision. Wasn't a pen or a dive so play on correct decision. Sending off was a silly, dangerous tackle worthy of a red card and some refs would have bottled it and only given a yellow, especially for the home team.

Thought we looked solid at the back but still have concerns about scoring goals.

17 minutes ago, an86 said:

Gibby and Clark still to return and young Regan Thomson sure to be involved as well. I'd be surprised if we're finished on the signing front, too. 

Yes , things looking promising. But fancy a lot of squads in this division will be bolstered by the loan market, unfortunately in my opinion.

Ref was pretty inconsistent but it probably would have been the same result with a competent ref. Least he understood the drop ball rule unlike most of the players!

Or Mark Roberts. He was having a hissy fit at the second drop ball because “that’s twice we’ve just let them win it” before on of the lads in red at the side of the dig out pointed out the new rule. Then, rather bafflingly, a Queens Player went down holding his leg outside our box, game played on and after Blair Currie launches the ball into the opponents half, the ref blew, made sure the player was ok then went for an uncontested drop ball in the QP half only for Roberts to have another go, which KR pointed out to him was the new rule [emoji23] Who knows why the ref initially made that decision but it did give us something to laugh about.

For me he got the major decisions right! Galt went down far too easily and deserved his booking. For the pen Muir pulled his arms away at the last moment and never touched the Stirling player, on his part he jumped over what he thought was an impending collision. Wasn't a pen or a dive so play on correct decision. Sending off was a silly, dangerous tackle worthy of a red card and some refs would have bottled it and only given a yellow, especially for the home team.

I would agree in general, in my opinion he got 2 of the 3 major decisions right (think McGeachie’s red was harsh, but will watch it again tonight), but it was all the continual little things before and after the decisions that we just incompetent in my option.

Just now, BB_Bino said:

I would agree in general, in my opinion he got 2 of the 3 major decisions right (think McGeachie’s red was harsh, but will watch it again tonight), but it was all the continual little things before and after the decisions that we just incompetent in my option.

I'm far from an unbiased onlooker, but it was right in front of us and I was shouting for the red straight away. Definitely in the "endangering an opponent" vicinity imo. 

27 minutes ago, The man with no name said:

Maybe it's just me but I didn't think the ref was that bad. For me he got the major decisions right! Galt went down far too easily and deserved his booking. For the pen Muir pulled his arms away at the last moment and never touched the Stirling player, on his part he jumped over what he thought was an impending collision. Wasn't a pen or a dive so play on correct decision. Sending off was a silly, dangerous tackle worthy of a red card and some refs would have bottled it and only given a yellow, especially for the home team.

Thought we looked solid at the back but still have concerns about scoring goals.

I agree with the 3 major decisions but so often he let a foul go when there was no advantage or just didn’t blow for blatant fouls. 

It’s no excuse at all but we were denied 2 fouls in the 30 second period before the red card tackle. Ross may have in part acted out of utter frustration at the number of fouls he wasn’t giving. Hopefully he’ll learn next time.

Dont think I’ve ever heard Forthbank so angry at a ref below. Proper vitriol. I actually had to take my 8 year old daughter home with 5 mins to go as she was getting a bit intimidated with all the anger. I was really trying hard not to swear myself. Moral of the story: leave the kids at home to play barbies next time and go have a good swear instead. 

Edited by BinoBalls

Alfie coming on certainly made the tiring defence work harder but was the removal of Purdue that changed the game. Davie Galt doesn't belong on the right and the change in him when he went back to left wing was incredible. And there was a lengthy spell when both were on the left which I assume was Purdue going over there leaving Mortimer without support and curtailing his gallops up the right. I'm sure Davie is doing it for the team but Marko needs to get this right.  Purdue had a very poor passing game and apart from one clever reverse pass made no impression at all.

We lost our early composure and like last week, with an ill-balanced team, hoofball from the back line started. Long balls to a single striker, in a 2v1, won't work unless the midfield is very close to the striker to get the second ball. Alfie sat further right and much higher and held the ball until the rest caught up and we looked very comfortable until the whistle.

The stats showed we had 10 shots at goal so a return of one ain't great. Salim got very little service and spent a lot of energy jumping for wasted balls. Think they'll get more form him playing ground balls into space.   The long ball crap concerns me, especially when we have some decent ball players. Block had a good shift but MotM agan was Jinola at no. 7. Great all-rounder. Defence looks wonderfully solid. Let's see how the Cove and Edinburgh games play out for them. Great to have Wullie back as the governor at the back.

These were the kind of games we either lost or drew last year and yesterday we won. 3 points away from home is always welcome so good times. Consolidation against Stenny next week will give us a better picture.  

36 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

I agree with the 3 major decisions but so often he let a foul go when there was no advantage or just didn’t blow for blatant fouls. 

It’s no excuse at all but we were denied 2 fouls in the 30 second period before the red card tackle. Ross may have in part acted out of utter frustration at the number of fouls he wasn’t giving. Hopefully he’ll learn next time.

We are all biased and interpret games differently. 

You mention the number of fouls he wasn't giving, the Stirling no.8 seemed to be fouling pretty consistently to me and could have been booked before he was. I'm sure you thought our players were getting away with murder.

As I say, he got the major decisions right and if all refs do that then I won't be complaining.

3 hours ago, an86 said:

I hate to bring the name debate back up, but if the "Our Salim" patter on the match report continues throughout the season, we deserve to be relegated. 

I could not agree more. I thought it disrespectful at best at the time and the more you read it the worse it gets. I also was not impressed with his explanation of "Alfie". If those comments had come from a right wing politician the press and 'politically correct" BBC would have had a field day. How hard is it to get someone's name correct?

That was an utterly dreadful game of football which QP just about shaded and deserved the win.

I honestly couldn't tell what the plan was for Stirling, presume it was just to hoof it up to Mackin and hope they got lucky with a knockdown. Doesn't really make sense when there are no runners coming from midfield. Brutal.

Not sure about the red card, didn't see it well but he looked like he launched himself in and the reaction of the players told you everything. The QP dive the red got correct, Stirling's penalty claim was right in front of me and I couldn't decide if it was or not so have to give ref benefit of the doubt. Overall , the ref was really poor though.

Can't emphasise enough how brutal the game was though, two horrendous sides that could barely string a pass together. At least QP tried though, and the guy took the winner well. Keeper looked suspect though.

49 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Is it "Homer" and "Gulliver" still writing the Queen's Park match reports? How on earth they ever made it onto the official site is beyond me. It reads more like a fan's blog than something from an official website.

"Big Alfie", "our Salim". Rubbish.

It is indeed.

1 minute ago, Hampden Diehard said:

All these people upset about whether a player is called this or that.  People get nicknames in every sphere of life; football is no different.  As long as it's not offensive, who cares?

I clicked on the Queen's Park match report to look for some reasonably objective reporting on yesterday's match, not an account of "Homer's" driving to Forthbank.

55 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I clicked on the Queen's Park match report to look for some reasonably objective reporting on yesterday's match, not an account of "Homer's" driving to Forthbank.

No idea why that's tacked onto my comment.  Here's all you need to know.  Great run and shot by Galt for the only goal, who also hit the post with an outstanding free kick.  Oor Salim hit the bar with a header.  Red card for a rash dive in by an Albion player; Albion looked tired towards the end and didn't threaten.  On this form, QP to challenge for the playoffs at least with the Binos decidedly mid table.  Bovril without salt or pepper is grim.

Exciting stuff yesterday. First half was a bit stale but the second had a bit of everything. Sweet goal from Galt. Fair to say we could have had more - the woodwork is still shaking I hear and arguably we should have had a penalty.

Quite a few new individual talents in the squad. Notably Jamieson, Little, Joffrey and Sal. Confident the squad will gel more as games progress.

How about that from the QP fans yesterday. Loud and proud as always. Always a crackin’ day out to Stirling. [emoji835]️[emoji836]️

Terrific to start to the season with 3 points and a clean sheet away from home. The difference from last season is how much more solid we are at the back. Too often last season we’d play some nice stuff and fail to score and on the opposition’s first attack into the box, we’d crumble. Jamieson, other than one misplaced header for a corner was outstanding yet again, however man of the match was comfortably Lidouren. He’s got everything you’d want in a box to box midfielder: pace, energy, defensively sound and he’s terrific with the ball at his feet. He’s been the best player on the pitch in his first two games. 

Id be inclined to start Alfie next week against Stenny for the expense of Purdue. Although Purdue was outstanding in the Betfred cup, he really didnt have the desired effect yesterday and the likes of Galt and Salim really thrived when Alfie was introduced. Overall, a really positive start and once Gibson, Clark and Thompson are amongst the team, we’re gonna have a really strong squad 

Edited by qpfc

4 hours ago, an86 said:

I'm far from an unbiased onlooker, but it was right in front of us and I was shouting for the red straight away. Definitely in the "endangering an opponent" vicinity imo. 

Didn't see the incident but the reaction of the QP players said it all. You don't get that kind of response unless it's a really bad foul.

37 minutes ago, gmca said:

Didn't see the incident but the reaction of the QP players said it all. You don't get that kind of response unless it's a really bad foul.

Might have been a yellow on other days. Wasn't in the Violent category for me i.e.two feet off the ground or studs facing but it was a deliberate and lazy tackle. Your player seemed more indignant about our guys steaming in than the actual decision. Maybe just wanted a rest. Don't think it altered the result.