We're officially a diddy footballing nation.

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Hmm disagree. If Watford v palace was on bbc 1 there’s a fair chance I’d end up watching it. I don’t have sky but I’ve heard ludicrous monthly prices quoted for this stuff.

I live in Edinburgh and I’d much sooner pay £10/£15 to see Spartans for example than pay stupid a month for the opportunity to see pretty average football.

It’s only £7 Don. I’m the same refuse to pay it but you see it on here it’s the same Sky Sports boys glued to Premier / Champions League football every night of the week when there’s loads of good stuff on up here. 

Guest JTS98
5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think some of the attitude towards English football is a backlash against the perception of marketing style over substance. A need to accentuate the difference between themselves and the tv can boys. Or possibly, some people aren't as keen on football as they think. I'd be watching Palace v Watford right now if it was on. 

Everyone's different. I recently binned the sports package on my tv deal precisely because I realised that I was sitting in the flat while English fitba was on and was reading a book or watching a film because I'd been burned too often by shite like Watford v Palace.

If you enjoy it, then fair enough. I just don't see it.

2 minutes ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Going to a couple of Highland league games  a month is going to work out at the same cost as a Sky Sports package. And is likely to be even more "tripe"

Each to their own. Enjoy Burnley v Sheffield United.

54 minutes ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Going to a couple of Highland league games  a month is going to work out at the same cost as a Sky Sports package. And is likely to be even more "tripe"

And this is of course the popular view up here and hence partly why the EPL is dripping with 💰

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

There's literally a TV football blackout when the vast, vast majority of Scottish league games are on. I go to Stenhousemuir matches almost every week and still watch at least parts of few games on Sky and BT.

I like a variety of sports so am happy to pay good money to Sky and BT to have access to them. It's not all about the EPL

18 hours ago, Dee Man said:

John Nelms and Barry Hearn have both come out in recent times and said how the Scottish game is terribly marketed and suggested that it could be done a whole lot better. 

Nelms said it could be marketed as 'The hardest league in the world' or something like that. Personally I don't know how much a simple strapline would make any difference but at least someone is thinking outside the box instead of blindly following anything that happens down south. 

We need our own identity rather than being a minterific poor man's version of the English game. 

Our first priority is to get people to go along and watch their local team instead of sitting at home "supporting" one of the Cheeks for tribal reasons. Marketing our game to people outside Scotland is a nice-to-have.

Our first priority is to get people to go along and watch their local team instead of sitting at home "supporting" one of the Cheeks for tribal reasons. Marketing our game to people outside Scotland is a nice-to-have.
Marketing should be along alternative lines, very much like 'a view from the terrace' - or even 'off the ball' back in the day.

We can't attempt to hype the game up in the same way they do down south. It's fake and folk know it.

We need to go for a completely different tone. Scottish football has some fucking brilliant moments - tinpot stuff, wind ups, put downs, fan chants, weird shit.

Let's sell it as real as f**k - but that requires an anti-sky. By sport kind of did that...a bit.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Marketing should be along alternative lines, very much like 'a view from the terrace' - or even 'off the ball' back in the day.

We can't attempt to hype the game up in the same way they do down south. It's fake and folk know it.

We need to go for a completely different tone. Scottish football has some fucking brilliant moments - tinpot stuff, wind ups, put downs, fan chants, weird shit.

Let's sell it as real as f**k - but that requires an anti-sky. By sport kind of did that...a bit.

Agree with that. I remember a few years the English football league (or one of its sponsors) did an ad campaign about it being the leagues for real football fans and basically took the piss out of the prawn sandwich brigade etc.

Not suggesting replicating that but it was presenting itself as an alternative rather than just a watered down version of the real thing, which is basically what we do. And you're right, we have to embrace our identity as a footballing nation and not be ashamed of it which some in the game seem to be.

The 'casual' tv viewer however will always go for English football/Champions league anyway, they're a lost cause so let's stop trying to target them.

18 hours ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Maybe people just like watching football? 

Saying you need an emotional investment to enjoy a football match is quite a strange thing to me. Doesn't every single person getting into the sport start without an emotional investment? And what about World Cups and EURO's that Scotland don't qualify for.

Surely we all develop an emotional attachment to whoever England are playing?

Just now, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

What syndrome would you diagnose to a manchild that decided to become a subscription customer to a  foreign football club from an area he has no personal connection to?

I’m not sure fud who is it ?   

Have to agree with , well everyone  that the marketing of Scottish football has been nothing more than fucking awful, ever since the 90s when TV kicked off the best anyone could manage was " Scotland - we've got the old firm derby "  .   seriously that was the best anyone could come up with?

Have to agree with , well everyone  that the marketing of Scottish football has been nothing more than fucking awful, ever since the 90s when TV kicked off the best anyone could manage was " Scotland - we've got the old firm derby "  .   seriously that was the best anyone could come up with?

Ah, but it’s the biggest game in the world with its ‘special’ atmosphere!!!!!

Just watched the sports section on Reporting Scotland this evening. Do they mention a 5-0 win by a Scottish team in Europe last night? Do they go to East End to preview and promote a game BBC are covering?

No, it’s all will ‘They’ win the league again or can we expect a challenge from ‘them’.

FFS guys there are 42 senior clubs in this country not 2!!!!!!!!

12 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Just watched the sports section on Reporting Scotland this evening. Do they mention a 5-0 win by a Scottish team in Europe last night? Do they go to East End to preview and promote a game BBC are covering?

No, it’s all will ‘They’ win the league again or can we expect a challenge from ‘them’.

FFS guys there are 42 senior clubs in this country not 2!!!!!!!!

There's a lot more than that...