We're officially a diddy footballing nation.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

@JTS98is spot on here.  The EPL is a parody of itself, it's been marketed brilliantly to make fools part with their money to sit there filming the whole thing on Snapchat, barely taking in what is actually happening on the pitch

The fans actually at the game are like bit-players in a Hollywood movie - the real interest is in the global audience watching on TV.  Why do you think the cameras zoom in and show the Asian faces when they are clearly in the absolute minority at these games - the marketers want to attract the global audience and Asia is where it's at for EPL as they have no quality football of their own.  

13 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

@JTS98is spot on here.  The EPL is a parody of itself, it's been marketed brilliantly to make fools part with their money to sit there filming the whole thing on Snapchat, barely taking in what is actually happening on the pitch

Indeed, the vast majority of it is absolute dross played in front of big yet docile crowds. Quite how anyone tunes into Crystal Palace vs Watford with no emotional investment in either side is an absolute feat of marketing.

Indeed, the vast majority of it is absolute dross played in front of big yet docile crowds. Quite how anyone tunes into Crystal Palace vs Watford with no emotional investment in either side is an absolute feat of marketing.

We must need better marketing.

It’s maybe because even no-hopers like Crystal Palace and Watford have the odd decent player, like Zaha and, err, one of those foreign lads at Watford. Not that I’d ever contemplate watching that fixture. I’ve no real interest in watching 90 minutes on TV anymore. I prefer Match of the Day where they edit out all the shite bits, then highlight certain players as a subtle spoiler that they’ve done something.

The bigger English teams games have become city breaks for football fans who can now book ticket, hotel and travel through Thomas Cook Sports. I quite fancy a game at Anfield but I can’t stand scouse accents, so the more tourist fans there the better.

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

We must need better marketing.

It’s maybe because even no-hopers like Crystal Palace and Watford have the odd decent player, like Zaha and, err, one of those foreign lads at Watford. Not that I’d ever contemplate watching that fixture. I’ve no real interest in watching 90 minutes on TV anymore. I prefer Match of the Day where they edit out all the shite bits, then highlight certain players as a subtle spoiler that they done something.

The bigger English teams games have become city breaks for football fans who can now book ticket, hotel and travel through Thomas Cook Sports. I quite fancy a game at Anfield but I can’t stand scouse accents, so the more tourist fans the better.

John Nelms and Barry Hearn have both come out in recent times and said how the Scottish game is terribly marketed and suggested that it could be done a whole lot better. 

Nelms said it could be marketed as 'The hardest league in the world' or something like that. Personally I don't know how much a simple strapline would make any difference but at least someone is thinking outside the box instead of blindly following anything that happens down south. 

We need our own identity rather than being a minterific poor man's version of the English game. 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Some usually in the cheap seats down the front but there’s plenty of the die hard still there. As the Premier League thread shows on here marketed brilliantly to get people in front of their tellys 4/5/6/7 days/nights a week paying a fortune every month to Sky & BT. 

John Nelms and Barry Hearn have both come out in recent times and said how the Scottish game is terribly marketed and suggested that it could be done a whole lot better. 

Nelms said it could be marketed as 'The hardest league in the world' or something like that. Personally I don't know how much a simple strapline would make any difference but at least someone is thinking outside the box instead of blindly following anything that happens down south. 

We need our own identity rather than being a minterific poor man's version of the English game. 

I recall a Motherwell v Hibs game on BSkyB or the likes back in the early ‘90s when they had that mad bagpipe music playing at numerous stages throughout the build up and at HT and FT. It was really awful. As long as that’s not part of it.

Don’t know if it was a conscious decision but as long as I can remember sky sports have actively marketed Scottish football as a third rate product.

That fucking bagpipe intro music made me cringe every single time.

It made me cringe too. Just awful.

If I was a fan of an English Premiership club - I mean one who actually attends a few games - I would be fucking livid at Sky/BT Sport for the number of changes to the accepted kick off time of 3pm.

9 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

I might as well ‘fess up and admit I attended this match with my 12 year old son.

I have no interest in Liverpool as a team and admit that the ticket prices for a pre-season friendly made me wince. 

However, my son is obsessed with Liverpool and the football discussions and arguments he has with his friends tend to involve English teams rather than Scottish ones. 

He has been desperate to go to a Liverpool game for years. Tickets for games at Anfield go to season ticket holders first and then to residents of Liverpool (checked by Liverpool postcode). Criteria for away game tickets are even more restrictive. 

My take was this was a simple opportunity to get my Liverpool daft son to see his team. Although the tickets were pricey, I saved money and time compared to travelling down south. I suspect a lot of other attendees thought the same. 

How much were the tickets?

For comparison

The Rugby world cup warm up between Scotland vs France  is £45 for the best seats and £20 for shit seats down the front behind the goals. The Georgia game is £5 cheaper

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Maybe people just like watching football? 
Saying you need an emotional investment to enjoy a football match is quite a strange thing to me. Doesn't every single person getting into the sport start without an emotional investment? And what about World Cups and EURO's that Scotland don't qualify for.

Bt sports and sky sports especially are absolutely saturated with premier league football. Pretty much every day of the week when it’s full flow. 5/6 televised game per weekend as well.

If you want to just watch a match get down to your local team even if it’s highland/lowland league etc, I occasionally do. Bottom half premier league tripe is not worth the god knows how much it costs for sky sports. This idea that all premier league football is the elite is utter dribble yet people seem to think it is. You often hear “only in the premier league!” From a commentator after a last minute winner for example, clever marketing but clearly nonsense.

World cups are a once every 4 year event and should be the pinnacle of football (I get a lot of people don’t think that about internationals now) for fans and the emotion it can generate in countries is pretty special to witness.

I think some of the attitude towards English football is a backlash against the perception of marketing style over substance. A need to accentuate the difference between themselves and the tv can boys. Or possibly, some people aren't as keen on football as they think. I'd be watching Palace v Watford right now if it was on. 

I think some of the attitude towards English football is a backlash against the perception of marketing style over substance. A need to accentuate the difference between themselves and the tv can boys. Or possibly, some people aren't as keen on football as they think. I'd be watching Palace v Watford right now if it was on. 

Hmm disagree. If Watford v palace was on bbc 1 there’s a fair chance I’d end up watching it. I don’t have sky but I’ve heard ludicrous monthly prices quoted for this stuff.

I live in Edinburgh and I’d much sooner pay £10/£15 to see Spartans for example than pay stupid a month for the opportunity to see pretty average football.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

How much were the tickets?

For comparison

The Rugby world cup warm up between Scotland vs France  is £45 for the best seats and £20 for shit seats down the front behind the goals. The Georgia game is £5 cheaper

I missed the initial sale and ended up paying £50 each for a couple of returns. They were good seats in the west stand and, as previously stated, worked out favourably compared to travelling down south, but £50 for a pre-season friendly does seem steep. 

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Hmm disagree. If Watford v palace was on bbc 1 there’s a fair chance I’d end up watching it. I don’t have sky but I’ve heard ludicrous monthly prices quoted for this stuff.

I live in Edinburgh and I’d much sooner pay £10/£15 to see Spartans for example than pay stupid a month for the opportunity to see pretty average football.

Now TV cuts the price a bit, but that's not really the argument. I watch Juniors, EoS etc too and prefer it. I just don't get the negativity about English football. Never mind Watford v  Palace, I'd be watching Macclesfield v Cambridge etc.

Now TV cuts the price a bit, but that's not really the argument. I watch Juniors, EoS etc too and prefer it. I just don't get the negativity about English football. Never mind Watford v  Palace, I'd be watching Macclesfield v Cambridge etc.

Might not be you or I but the negativity is aimed at the way English football has stifled football here. Everyone knows people here who abandon Scottish football and willingly call it shit whilst they watch Jeff and the boys on a Saturday afternoon.

No one is saying Watford v palace is worse than Dundee v Aberdeen or whatever but the amazement is that sky sports have managed to convince people that this is the pinnacle of the sport simply because it’s the premier league.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Might not be you or I but the negativity is aimed at the way English football has stifled football here. Everyone knows people here who abandon Scottish football and willingly call it shit whilst they watch Jeff and the boys on a Saturday afternoon.

No one is saying Watford v palace is worse than Dundee v Aberdeen or whatever but the amazement is that sky sports have managed to convince people that this is the pinnacle of the sport simply because it’s the premier league.

What came first though, the incredible marketing or the gullible market?

On 30/07/2019 at 09:04, The Skelpit Lug said:

I was up for this until I spotted the flaw. What if others, lured by the bridie offer, claim to be you? Could be awkward at the gates.

I could see how you could be overrun by Blue-nose impersonating bridie-stealers.

I'll be in Dundee anyway and Super Ayr, who do look like they can play some tidy football, will be at Dens so I'll go and shout for Stephen Kelly - assuming he gets a game.

5 hours ago, ForzaDundee said:

Seen a Snapchat of someone at the Liverpool game and the atmosphere looked worse than a rugby match, how is that even possible.

The atmosphere was one of the best I’ve seen at a friendly to be fair. In the grand scheme of things though it was sh*te. I don’t think I’ve ever been at friendly that wasn’t.