We're officially a diddy footballing nation.

5 minutes ago, GordonD said:

The European Cup went downhill when they started allowing runners-up to take part. Even its new name is a lie.

I don't understand why Liverpool were invited to play at Murrayfield in the first place. Did the SRU have an old wall that needed demolishing?

It’s the 4th placed ones you’ve got to watch for Gogs. 

Not so sure they were invited but believe the SRU spotted Liverpool’s problems trying to secure a venue and offered their services. 

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

Scottish football will have had literally hundreds of sold-out games in that 30 year period which could have sold 70k+ tickets. The fact that Murrayfield is a wee bit bigger than Celtic Park, Ibrox or Hampden doesn't make this particularly special.

It’s is a shame then that we don’t have a national football stadium that could accommodate that then.
I don’t know about hundreds of Scottish games that could have sold the same maybe the occasional game between the ugly sisters and Possibly the ‘salt n sauce’ cup final as well.
The Dandies could also have sold more tickets for the 2014 league cup but the authorities would rather have empty seats due to segregation issues at that game.
As for the National team, possibly the recent game against the ‘Auld Enemy’ and the Italy game spring to mind as demand outstripping the capacity.

43 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

What is this football related pish doing in GN

I thought long and hard about where I should put this and thought this was the most appropriate place. 

I still think back to when Channel 4 was trying to promote the NFL in the 90's and that had arranged a series of  preseason games at Wembley. Before one of the games the Channel 4 presenter was all excited and asked the expert back in the studio in LA if he thought the game would take of in the UK the expert replied "No the Brits don't seem to understand NFL"

The commentator gushed "But this game is a 80000 sell out"

"Exactly" came the reply.

It’s the 4th placed ones you’ve got to watch for Gogs. 
Not so sure they were invited but believe the SRU spotted Liverpool’s problems trying to secure a venue and offered their services. 

Do the SFA or SPFL not have a say if football games are arranged to be played in Scotland?
Especially when there are already competitive games being played the same day.
Maybe the SFA will have a masterplan now and invite the Rugby European Champions to play an exhibition game at Hampden. Given their organisational skills I have every confidence it would be a huge success!!!

4 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Do the SFA or SPFL not have a say if football games are arranged to be played in Scotland?
Especially when there are already competitive games being played the same day.
Maybe the SFA will have a masterplan now and invite the Rugby European Champions to play an exhibition game at Hampden. Given their organisational skills I have every confidence it would be a huge success!!!

This game was organised without the permission of the SFA, and they have already submitted a request to FIFA/UEFA/Liverpool for compensation.

Fair enough if you genuinely go and watch Liverpool as much as you can, but I know folk who went claiming to be big reds, and they couldn't point to Merseyside on a ****ing map.

I contemplated going as a total neutral, just for the opportunity to watch 2 decent sides. I've seen Liverpool a couple of times of St James recently though, so was more enticed by watching Napoli as I've never seen an Italian team play.

The minute I saw the ticket prices though, I thought, **** that.

37 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This game was organised without the permission of the SFA, and they have already submitted a request to FIFA/UEFA/Liverpool for compensation.

The only possible sanction is to ban Liverpool from all competitions sine die and strip them of all honours.

We are a tiny country with a poor cultural attitude, football is only decreasing in relative viewership especially with the younger generations, Scotland are a shite footballing nation but thats ok because all the glory seeking wankers just support Barcelona or Man City. Let them, I'm sure it gives them immense pride.

Noticed quite a few. Maybe 100-200 liverpool 'fans' at dunfermline station yesterday. Probably more than the amount that would be there for a dunfermline away game in edinburgh.
Full kit wankers and everything.
Surely supporting dunfermline or even getting bummed by a tramp is less degrading than that?

Noticed quite a few. Maybe 100-200 liverpool 'fans' at dunfermline station yesterday. Probably more than the amount that would be there for a dunfermline away game in edinburgh.
Full kit wankers and everything.
Surely supporting dunfermline or even getting bummed by a tramp is less degrading than that?

There was just over 1k at the Edinburgh City game last Saturday and I would say about 80-85% of the crowd appeared to be Pars fans. I would hope some were Pars fans who support Liverpool as their English team.
I heard that Scotrail also ran additional coaches from Aberdeen. This caused some ire up there as they hadn’t done so last season when the Dons were playing at Hampden.

1 minute ago, Dunfermline Don said:

There was just over 1k at the Edinburgh City game last Saturday and I would say about 80-85% of the crowd appeared to be Pars fans. I would hope some were Pars fans who support Liverpool as their English team.
I heard that Scotrail also ran additional coaches from Aberdeen. This caused some ire up there as they hadn’t done so last season when the Dons were playing at Hampden.

I meant fans actually at the station getting the train. Especially on a Sunday to a meaningless fixture.

We do get a good away support but I can remember us filling the entire away ends at both Edinburgh clubs. Guessing 4000 at least.

I meant fans actually at the station getting the train. Especially on a Sunday to a meaningless fixture.
We do get a good away support but I can remember us filling the entire away ends at both Edinburgh clubs. Guessing 4000 at least.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.
I can also remember the Pars filling the away ends at Easter Road and Tynecastle for cup games back in the 80s. Must have been about 6-8000 on the ‘good old’ uncovered terraces.

A couple of people half suggested to me that I might like to go to the Liverpool Napli game, absolutely no chance.  However, I do think there's a tendency in Scottish football for people to get their panties bunched about stuff like this - "we're a diddy nation!"  "shame".  It's like whenever the national team have a bad result or a Scottish team gets pinged out of Europe by a load of gaot herders - "our game's a laughing stock!".

5 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Sorry about the misunderstanding.
I can also remember the Pars filling the away ends at Easter Road and Tynecastle for cup games back in the 80s. Must have been about 6-8000 on the ‘good old’ uncovered terraces.

Were you at the game at Easter road when we won 3-1 in extra time? Hibs fans were chucking their scarves on the pitch. I’d bet that now half of the fans that went now ‘support’ Celtic rangers Liverpool man united.

Gimps.

A couple of people half suggested to me that I might like to go to the Liverpool Napli game, absolutely no chance.  However, I do think there's a tendency in Scottish football for people to get their panties bunched about stuff like this - "we're a diddy nation!"  "shame".  It's like whenever the national team have a bad result or a Scottish team gets pinged out of Europe by a load of gaot herders - "our game's a laughing stock!".

Possibly but a crowd of that size for a meaningless friendly is pretty indicative of the general attitude towards our own domestic game in this country.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Possibly but a crowd of that size for a meaningless friendly is pretty indicative of the general attitude towards our own domestic game in this country.

How so?

Surely it's indicative only of the attraction of watching one of England's top teams play against a top European side?