We're officially a diddy footballing nation.

After years of fighting it this morning I have to admit we are a diddy footballing nation.

Our National association tried for years to get us there. Sending our National team out in Woolly Ski Jerseys because the World cup was in Switzerland. Using ridiculous names for our 4 top Leagues because our neighbours did. Cutting corners and keeping a bowl layout when upgrading our national Stadium. 

Our teams pandering to 2 teams even giving them the power of veto. Losing to teams from Wales Luxembourg Malta Gibraltar etc.

Our medias inability to look past the OF. ignoring every other club to tell us where the wife of the latest OF mega-signing gets her hair cut.

But this morning I read 65000 people paid through the nose to see their big teams playing a preseason friendly. Scotland's  biggest footballing crowd in 40 years was made up of fanboys. I thought our resident MacScouser was one off. But out there he's the majority. It's now official we are now in the same footballing backwaters as Singapore Qatar Ireland etc. and it was the fans that did it. To quote the original and best Taggart "I am Depressed"

Edited by thisal

You missed out the extra 442 Al. Every man and his dog was there. I must admit I was very surprised too I watch a lot of Scottish football and just go to the odd Liverpool game but there were Liverpool shirts and Scottish accents everywhere. 

45115302-B4FA-4AB1-8D44-A4C307CA482B.jpeg

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

You're talking about a club with a worldwide fan base and in particular has a strong tradition of Scottish players.

I was at the game and have no leaning to any English club, I took my son along for the spectacle. Just because Liverpool can sell out Murrayfield is not a reflection on our game but a reflection on how big and far reaching Liverpool is.

3 boys from the pub were there. 2 Dundee fans, one United. Two of those 'support' Chelsea. The other? Man U. The two Chelsea boys borrowed Liverpool tops off their mates.

If folk want to spend upwards of £40 to watch some of the worlds most technically gifted players play against Liverpool then that's up to them. Fools and their money. 

9 minutes ago, Dele said:

3 boys from the pub were there. 2 Dundee fans, one United. Two of those 'support' Chelsea. The other? Man U. The two Chelsea boys borrowed Liverpool tops off their mates.

If folk want to spend upwards of £40 to watch some of the worlds most technically gifted players play against Liverpool then that's up to them. Fools and their money. 

Which ones brought the European Cup up with them Del ? :D 

I only paid £25 + £10 for the wee man delighted with that. 

The fact that this was the largest crowd for a football match in this country for about 30 years and it not only didn’t contain any Scottish teams but was played at the national rugby stadium should make the footballing authorities in this country hang their head in shame.
However it could be counter argued that there is a market out there if the product is right!!!

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

I quite like it whenever Murrayfield has a chance to rub the SFA's nose in it for sticking with Hampden right enough.

The SFA would still have a slight disadvantage in that it would still be showcasing Scottish football.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Worth every penny to see Liverpool pumped by Napoli on Scottish soil imo.

Can’t help but think this was a missed opportunity for the Lolverpool squad if it had still been around wb. 

24 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

The fact that this was the largest crowd for a football match in this country for about 30 years and it not only didn’t contain any Scottish teams but was played at the national rugby stadium should make the footballing authorities in this country hang their head in shame.

Scottish football will have had literally hundreds of sold-out games in that 30 year period which could have sold 70k+ tickets. The fact that Murrayfield is a wee bit bigger than Celtic Park, Ibrox or Hampden doesn't make this particularly special.

39 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Which ones brought the European Cup up with them Del ? :D 

The European Cup went downhill when they started allowing runners-up to take part. Even its new name is a lie.

I don't understand why Liverpool were invited to play at Murrayfield in the first place. Did the SRU have an old wall that needed demolishing?

Scottish football will have had literally hundreds of sold-out games in that 30 year period which could have sold 70k+ tickets. The fact that Murrayfield is a wee bit bigger than Celtic Park, Ibrox or Hampden doesn't make this particularly special.

Hampden not fit for purpose. Hundreds of games with inadequate capacity. Small fortune lost due to incompetence of SFA.