Hibs vs St Mirren

6 hours ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Only what I've heard mate, he has ambitions to play European football for a big club and knows the potential is there at Hibs.

I'd give you all the greenies i have for the year for this.  

Hibs.  Europe.  Fucking good yin, min...!

As for the game, Hibs will hand us our arse.  5-0 to the champions of Europe Elect (trademark Fraser Fyvie)

Can’t see anything other than a Hibs win by a couple of goals. I expect us to be stuffy and hard to break down, but after Hibs huff and puff for a bit, will make the breakthrough and run out 2-0 or 3-1 winners. I take no pleasure in offering up a negative outcome, but St Mirren have shown me nothing during the League Cup games, nor (as yet) shown much in the way of GLS & Fitzy finding quality signings ahead of Saturday, that gives me any cause for optimism. Tomorrow is Tuesday, the game is on Saturday, and we need anywhere between four to eight signings to bolster a weak looking squad. Even if we dig up some signings, they’ll barely have time to learn their team-mates names, much less gel into a coherent team ready to win at Easter Road. FFS...as is our way.

New season, same ill-prepared SMFC, on, and off the pitch.

Edited by pozbaird

24 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Can’t see anything other than a Hibs win by a couple of goals. I expect us to be stuffy and hard to break down, but after Hibs huff and puff for a bit, will make the breakthrough and run out 2-0 or 3-1 winners. I take no pleasure in offering up a negative outcome, but St Mirren have shown me nothing during the League Cup games, nor (as yet) shown much in the way of GLS & Fitzy finding quality signings ahead of Saturday, that gives me any cause for optimism. Tomorrow is Tuesday, the game is on Saturday, and we need anywhere between four to eight signings to bolster a weak looking squad. Even if we dig up some signings, they’ll barely have time to learn their team-mates names, much less gel into a coherent team ready to win at Easter Road. FFS...as is our way.

New season, same ill-prepared SMFC, on, and off the pitch.

A bit of straw clutching by me.  My memory might be playing tricks on me but did St Mirren not sign Connor Newton, Paul Dummett and Isma just before the Semi Final of the League Cup in 2013? Each of those players made a bit of an impact that day. Maybe St Mirren can pull something similar out of the bag for this match - though like you I don't hold out much hope. 

Personally I think this will go a similar way to the Dunfermline match. Hibs will be home and hosed by half time and our fans will be left clutching at a "better second half" where we've managed a shot on goal to give us hope for the season ahead. This squad looks like St Mirren's worst in a long time. 

12 hours ago, Malky3 said:

This squad looks like St Mirren's worst in a long time. 

Anyone reading this who thinks this might be an exaggeration, it isn't. As of this morning:

Twelve first-team players. Actually more like 10.

Hibs currently 8/15 for the win on B365. Show me another investment opportunity with an instant 50% yield. I'll wait.

image.png.ebd022c18d878550b18e4474b70e978d.png

Edited by Coventry Saint

12 hours ago, Malky3 said:

A bit of straw clutching by me.  My memory might be playing tricks on me but did St Mirren not sign Connor Newton, Paul Dummett and Isma just before the Semi Final of the League Cup in 2013? Each of those players made a bit of an impact that day. Maybe St Mirren can pull something similar out of the bag for this match - though like you I don't hold out much hope. 

Personally I think this will go a similar way to the Dunfermline match. Hibs will be home and hosed by half time and our fans will be left clutching at a "better second half" where we've managed a shot on goal to give us hope for the season ahead. This squad looks like St Mirren's worst in a long time. 

Dummett had been there since the start of the season, but think Carey played left back that day?

Newton and Isma had their debuts, and I think McGinn only had 2 or 3 first team games. 

Personally, I’m quite glad that it’s St mirren we play on the opening day and not a proper team. We really should be looking to boost the goal difference early and get some of our fringe players like Oli Shaw etc up to speed.

Having said that I’m expecting a real “cup tie” atmosphere here my only hope is that the game is played in the right spirit. It would be really disappointing if the opposition players started going for our boys legs after the 3rd or 4th goes in.

That may seem harsh on the saints players as for all I know they may not be like that but in my experience, the team on the receiving end of a footballing lesson normally look to injure as many of the other teams players as they can, taking as many scalps as they can back to whichever backwater shanty town they came from.

Guest Moomintroll
30 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Anyone reading this who thinks this might be an exaggeration, it isn't. As of this morning:

Twelve first-team players. Actually more like 10.

Hibs currently 8/15 for the win on B365. Show me another investment opportunity with an instant 50% yield. I'll wait.

image.png.ebd022c18d878550b18e4474b70e978d.png

Wholesale Ching?

2 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Dummett had been there since the start of the season, but think Carey played left back that day?

Newton and Isma had their debuts, and I think McGinn only had 2 or 3 first team games. 

Dummett had been with us till January, went back to Newcastle, played for them via Brighton in the FA Cup and came back at the end of January. Newton made his debut the week before against County. McGinn had played regularly since November so had probably about 8-10 games by then.

I remember talking to a mate at Hampden about Isma before the game. Said "the new guy starting" and a Saints fan overheard us and said "I know one of the players and he says he's shite". Clearly another ITK expert in our support. :lol:

5 hours ago, Dominique Malonga said:

Personally, I’m quite glad that it’s St mirren we play on the opening day and not a proper team. We really should be looking to boost the goal difference early and get some of our fringe players like Oli Shaw etc up to speed.

Having said that I’m expecting a real “cup tie” atmosphere here my only hope is that the game is played in the right spirit. It would be really disappointing if the opposition players started going for our boys legs after the 3rd or 4th goes in.

That may seem harsh on the saints players as for all I know they may not be like that but in my experience, the team on the receiving end of a footballing lesson normally look to injure as many of the other teams players as they can, taking as many scalps as they can back to whichever backwater shanty town they came from.

I needed cheering up, and this actually made me smile. Decent patter, have a greeny.

Just had a mooch on Tickets for Troops.  I see that there are home tickets going for the Hibs fans on there.  

I know that 'Haters going to hate' and i don't care.  

Well played Hibs.  👍

I'll take some solace from this at 1700h on Saturday when they spank us by a cricket score.  

9 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Dummett had been with us till January, went back to Newcastle, played for them via Brighton in the FA Cup and came back at the end of January. Newton made his debut the week before against County. McGinn had played regularly since November so had probably about 8-10 games by then.

I remember talking to a mate at Hampden about Isma before the game. Said "the new guy starting" and a Saints fan overheard us and said "I know one of the players and he says he's shite". Clearly another ITK expert in our support. :lol:

Probably a fair reflection at that point - a few months later I was talking to someone I know who knows one of the players and he'd been told Isma was pretty hopeless in training, which probably isn't a surprise in hindsight.

Also remember arguing with my dad and brother on the way to Hampden as they felt it was unfair on the guys who'd got us that far that Isma had come straight into the team whereas I didn't see the point in leaving him on the bench as by the time he came on it could well be too late against Celtic. Even after he scored they still tried to claim they were right - typical Saints fans!

I seem to remember after how well that worked Danny was tempted to try the same trick with Sander fecking Puri 😂

With our new German/Turkish star signing, Hibs will crumble.... prepare Hibees to be pumped at home 3-1 by a team wearing black & white stripes twice in the space of four days.

Easy the Mirren*.

*Maybe. Terms and conditions apply.

Edited by pozbaird