Hibs vs St Mirren

Long time lurker, first time poster! Go easy on me...

Really enjoyed yesterday's game, with the obvious exception of how it finished. 

Felt like we were a well-drilled team playing with genuine direction and purpose across the park - something that I take real pleasure in saying, as I feel we've lacked that in a while.

From the get go yesterday, it was obvious that each player and each unit of players knew exactly what they were tasked with doing: our full-backs on the overlap and hard in the tackle; midfielders disciplined in closing all and any space through the middle, disrupting the play and getting us quickly on the front foot; Durmus and Magennis racing to the flanks to give us width and real threat down each wing; and Mullen (then Obika) causing a nuisance with Andreau creating the chances from just off him.

We looked a team with strength and presence - we defended well, broke up play and moved forward confidently and creatively as a team, trusted ourselves in the tackle, wanted to attack, took players on one-on-one and were happy to shoot when even the half-opportunity was there. It was really good to see, and should only get better as the team gels and more bodies come in. 

All our new boys impressed. Durmus carries himself and plays like Riyad Mahrez. As long as he doesn't cycle like him then we could be onto something good. Sam Foley gave us some bite and backbone in the middle and played well alongside Flynn. McLoughlin solid (bringing good balance at centre-half by being left-footed), and Obika a real presence up front when he came on - should've scored with the volley! Last season it often looked like men against boys often times with us. That wasn't the case yesterday, and if these four are indicative of the playing staff JG wants, then we should be a fairly decent outfit come September 2 and the closing of the window.

Macpherson another positive from yesterday. The one issue though - and it's a nice enough issue to have - is over Stephen McGinn and where he now fits with us going forward. I personally wouldn't swap him in for any of the 4/5 midfielders we had yesterday, and worry he's holding us back when he does play: offering little going forward and often looking a bit off the pace. 

All in though, good start to the season. FWIW, Hibs I thought looked decent. Mallan, Allan and Horgan - when fully up to speed - will tear a few teams apart this season. 

Always enjoyed going to Easter Road. Good stadium and atmosphere. And absolutely loved that day three years ago when we all had something to celebrate. Generally think we play pretty well there. And Hammill's goal last season will not be forgotten in a hurry.

6 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Hibs were poor. They’ll struggle to make the top 6 IMO.

It must be tough being in Hearts’ shadow.

There’s trying too hard then there’s this. Pipe doon, Jeremiah.

9 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Hibs were poor. They’ll struggle to make the top 6 IMO.

It must be tough being in Hearts’ shadow.

Yeah, I can't get on board with using Hearts to wind up Hibs. Hearts are crybaby c***s who'll spend 30 years blaming others for their own obvious failings. Hibs are sound. IMO.

29 minutes ago, get-dargo-on said:

Long time lurker, first time poster! Go easy on me...

Really enjoyed yesterday's game, with the obvious exception of how it finished. 

Felt like we were a well-drilled team playing with genuine direction and purpose across the park - something that I take real pleasure in saying, as I feel we've lacked that in a while.

From the get go yesterday, it was obvious that each player and each unit of players knew exactly what they were tasked with doing: our full-backs on the overlap and hard in the tackle; midfielders disciplined in closing all and any space through the middle, disrupting the play and getting us quickly on the front foot; Durmus and Magennis racing to the flanks to give us width and real threat down each wing; and Mullen (then Obika) causing a nuisance with Andreau creating the chances from just off him.

We looked a team with strength and presence - we defended well, broke up play and moved forward confidently and creatively as a team, trusted ourselves in the tackle, wanted to attack, took players on one-on-one and were happy to shoot when even the half-opportunity was there. It was really good to see, and should only get better as the team gels and more bodies come in. 

All our new boys impressed. Durmus carries himself and plays like Riyad Mahrez. As long as he doesn't cycle like him then we could be onto something good. Sam Foley gave us some bite and backbone in the middle and played well alongside Flynn. McLoughlin solid (bringing good balance at centre-half by being left-footed), and Obika a real presence up front when he came on - should've scored with the volley! Last season it often looked like men against boys often times with us. That wasn't the case yesterday, and if these four are indicative of the playing staff JG wants, then we should be a fairly decent outfit come September 2 and the closing of the window.

Macpherson another positive from yesterday. The one issue though - and it's a nice enough issue to have - is over Stephen McGinn and where he now fits with us going forward. I personally wouldn't swap him in for any of the 4/5 midfielders we had yesterday, and worry he's holding us back when he does play: offering little going forward and often looking a bit off the pace. 

All in though, good start to the season. FWIW, Hibs I thought looked decent. Mallan, Allan and Horgan - when fully up to speed - will tear a few teams apart this season. 

Good post. Regarding S. McGinn he has been suffering niggling injuries for the past year. When fit he can pass the ball into places a lot of midfielders would not try. Jim Goodwin will not tolerate anyone holding us back so next time you see S McGinn I expect he will be fully fit. 

18 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, I can't get on board with using Hearts to wind up Hibs. Hearts are crybaby c***s who'll spend 30 years blaming others for their own obvious failings. Hibs are sound. IMO.

I second that. Hibs fans are a lot cooler than the maroon ones. 

I’ve never had a problem with Hibs or Hibs fans. Same with Aberdeen. Can’t think of any big controversies, or any reason for there to be bad feeling between Saints fans and Hibees or Dons fans. Some elements in the Hearts support still blame us for them shitting the bed in ‘86. Allied to the fact we keep beating them in assorted cup finals and semi finals, then they just don’t like us much. Having said that, on my way back to the car after the 2013 League Cup final, a passing Jambo shook my hand and said ‘best team won, well done’.

There’s good guys and wanks in all supports.

Good post. Regarding S. McGinn he has been suffering niggling injuries for the past year. When fit he can pass the ball into places a lot of midfielders would not try. Jim Goodwin will not tolerate anyone holding us back so next time you see S McGinn I expect he will be fully fit. 

I would argue that Flynn’s a better passer than McGinn anyway when they’re both at their best. Hope he’s ok but I don’t think him being out of the starting lineup will do us any harm.

Highlights are up, for anyone who's not seen them yet.

Hibs definitely edged it on chances, and that offside decision was an absolute farce (offside frame still in the spoiler box at the bottom of the post).

However, we already look like a vastly improved side. Andreu will be massive for us this season if we can get plenty of movement around/in front of him. For a hastily-assembled work-in-progress, we're not looking bad at all.

Spoiler

Fair to say the linesman has fucked that right up. I just don't think he's looking and your man at the back post catches our defence so flat-footed that he looks like he should have been offside, so the lino just fucking guesses. Ridiculous.

image.png.f8adbba3c0cda04c042b97ef2f587b01.png

Edited by Coventry Saint

20 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Highlights are up, for anyone who's not seen them yet.

Hibs definitely edged it on chances, and that offside decision was an absolute farce (offside frame still in the spoiler box at the bottom of the post).

However, we already look like a vastly improved side. Andreu will be massive for us this season if we can get plenty of movement around/in front of him. For a hastily-assembled work-in-progress, we're not looking bad at all.

Reveal hidden contents

Fair to say the linesman has fucked that right up. I just don't think he's looking and your man at the back post catches our defence so flat-footed that he looks like he should have been offside, so the lino just fucking guesses. Ridiculous.

image.png.f8adbba3c0cda04c042b97ef2f587b01.png

Certainly wasn't offside, but Kamberi clearly controls the ball with his arm before putting it into the net.

Not that it really matters.

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Certainly wasn't offside, but Kamberi clearly controls the ball with his arm before putting it into the net.

Interesting! Didn't spot that. Don't believe the linesman did either 😂

As you say, moot point anyway.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Interesting! Didn't spot that. Don't believe the linesman did either 😂

As you say, moot point anyway.

Scottish football official making correct decision shocker?

On the other hand, you're probably correct.😄

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Looks more like it hits his thigh to me, and it didn't look like handball from where I was sitting in the Famous Five, though I'll admit I was halfway out of my seat when it happened.

13 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Looks more like it hits his thigh to me, and it didn't look like handball from where I was sitting in the Famous Five, though I'll admit I was halfway out of my seat when it happened.

Looks like a handball from the highlights but not a great angle. Pretty sure the new rule regarding handball means even if it's accidental if it leads to a goal it's disallowed.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Looks like a handball from the highlights but not a great angle. Pretty sure the new rule regarding handball means even if it's accidental if it leads to a goal it's disallowed.

Here's another angle, again, not a great one, but still looks like it hits his body rather than his hand.

Edited by Aim Here