Best Player of All Time

Kuro

Best Player Ever  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

I can. He's nowhere near Ronaldo and Messi in terms of goalscoring or trophies, and played in a significantly weaker era of chain smokers and functioning alcoholics

And as for what Messi says; and what? He can't exactly say himself, can he? Are Michele Akers and Mia Hamm two of the best 125 football players of all time? Pele says so(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_100). Just FYI. You never saw her so can't comment.

You don't know what you're talking about. Probably best leave this discussion for people who do, and only comment on things you've seen.  I suggest you to watch some Maradona, you'll enjoy it.

2 hours ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Horrific opinion.

Wasn't even the best Brazilian of the mid-late 2000s never mind the best player ever.

I mean, it's debatable, but hardly a horrific opinion. I would say that Ronaldinho was the best Brazilian player of the mid 2000's, having taken over from Ronaldo in around 2003-04 and then being overtaken by Kaka in around 2008. There are things that Ronaldinho could do with a ball that none of those named above could ever do.

8 minutes ago, Kuro said:

He's scored 65 goals and got to four finals.  It's a fallacy to suggest he hasn't done it at international level. And interestingly when They were both in that one league and at their peak, his record is much better than Ronaldo's. He's obviously the better of the two.

Just my opinion Kuro.

Just now, Salem Saberhagen said:

I mean, it's debatable, but hardly a horrific opinion. I would say that Ronaldinho was the best Brazilian player of the mid 2000's, having taken over from Ronaldo in around 2003-04 and then being overtaken by Kaka in around 2008. There are things that Ronaldinho could do with a ball that none of those named above could ever do.

This is true. In terms of talent only Maradona was in his league.

2 minutes ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Anyway, it takes a special kind of thick c**t to start a thread about discussing the GOAT then start getting seething when anyone disagrees with him.

We're discussing the topic of the thread.  Does it not give you pause for thought when there's people on here who have watched Messi and Ronaldo just as much as you have who.say Maradona was better?

15 minutes ago, Kuro said:

I'm just pointing out it's factually incorrect.

Why start a thread then be a dick when others don’t agree with you ya fuckin walloper.

Anyway, your choice of players is pish. To heavily weighted to attacking players. Could have done with the likes of Yashin, Maldini and Baresi in there to make it more balanced.

15 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Why start a thread then be a dick when others don’t agree with you ya fuckin walloper.

Anyway, your choice of players is pish. To heavily weighted to attacking players. Could have done with the likes of Yashin, Maldini and Baresi in there to make it more balanced.

You're factually incorrect.  Messi has done it at international level and outshone Ronaldo for years when they were playing the same teams week in week out. Those aren't opinions they're facts.

5 minutes ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Ronaldo actually had a better goal-per-game ratio than Messi did in the time they were both in La Liga.

#FactCheck

320 in 302 for Messi and 311 in 292 for Ronaldo.  With Messi more than doubling Ronaldo in assists.  

If I wanted one player in my team it would be Maradona.
Most influential player ever might be Cryuff though as he played a big part in helping develop the whole total football way of playing.

Maradona has had the biggest influence in a major tournament than any other player but didn’t win 86 single handed as many say. Valdano had 4 goals that tourney burachaga 3 they must be raging when people say that.

Also must be remembered Maradona never got past the 2nd round of the European cup pretty poor. Scott Nisbet of Rangers got further in the European cup than Maradona lol.

Lastly he took ephedrine to lower his body weight and enhance performance at the 94 World Cup. This also needs to be considered.

For me I would say Christiano Ronaldo and messi are the best ever. Performed consistently at the top level for such a long period and between them they have broken pretty much every record going.

22 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Maradona has had the biggest influence in a major tournament than any other player but didn’t win 86 single handed as many say. Valdano had 4 goals that tourney burachaga 3 they must be raging when people say that.

Also must be remembered Maradona never got past the 2nd round of the European cup pretty poor. Scott Nisbet of Rangers got further in the European cup than Maradona lol.

Lastly he took ephedrine to lower his body weight and enhance performance at the 94 World Cup. This also needs to be considered.

For me I would say Christiano Ronaldo and messi are the best ever. Performed consistently at the top level for such a long period and between them they have broken pretty much every record going.

Fair points well made. 

Why would it?
Anyone old enough to have watched Maradona, at an age old enough to be able to objectively him, and still state that Messi & Ronaldo are inferior is living off nostalgia. The standard of play in the sport today is significantly higher than 30-40 years ago. Anybody who is the best player of the modern era, is automatically the best player ever.

No doubt you got the same old geriatrics saying the same nonsense about Stanley Matthews and Puskas back in the 80s.

Football like most things has clearly evolved over the last 30/40 years but for me that doesn’t automatically that best player ever comes from the modern era. Yes players are clearly fitter, stronger and more professional than 30/40 years ago but great players are great players regardless of when they played.

Players like Messi and Ronaldinho are clearly right up there but so are the Maradona’s of this world and that doesn’t change as time passes. While Messi and Ronaldo might win the argument In terms of fitness/ consistency etc they didn’t have to contend with some of the things boys like Maradona did in terms of state of pitches and having the shite kicked out of them every week.

I would also argue that yes players might be fitter stronger etc but are there as many world class defenders now as there was 20/30 years ago. I don’t think there is.

Guest Moomintroll

Football like most things has clearly evolved over the last 30/40 years but for me that doesn’t automatically that best player ever comes from the modern era. Yes players are clearly fitter, stronger and more professional than 30/40 years ago but great players are great players regardless of when they played.

Players like Messi and Ronaldinho are clearly right up there but so are the Maradona’s of this world and that doesn’t change as time passes. While Messi and Ronaldo might win the argument In terms of fitness/ consistency etc they didn’t have to contend with some of the things boys like Maradona did in terms of state of pitches and having the shite kicked out of them every week.

I would also argue that yes players might be fitter stronger etc but are there as many world class defenders now as there was 20/30 years ago. I don’t think there is.
That is what makes me lean towards Maradona, the sort of foul that he had to contend with as an "introduction" would be an automatic red card nowadays so Messi & Ronaldo can play without fear of the sort of challenge that Andoni Goikoetxea inflicted, usually without retribution. A fit, drug free (which he would be in this era of increased testing) Maradona would run amok nowadays. It is all moot though as you cannot properly compare different eras for so many reasons, just enjoy the game.