Alloa Athletic vs Partick Thistle

Not sure Alloa fans should be quite so cocky. They failed to beat a Thistle side in complete disarray. Sneddon never had a save to make and your only goal was a wickedly deflected shot. For all the pretty possession play and rampaging unchallenged runs through a non-existent Thistle midfield, it all came to nothing in the final third.

7 minutes ago, NotAFan said:

Not sure Alloa fans should be quite so cocky. They failed to beat a Thistle side in complete disarray. Sneddon never had a save to make and your only goal was a wickedly deflected shot. For all the pretty possession play and rampaging unchallenged runs through a non-existent Thistle midfield, it all came to nothing in the final third.

We have heard it all before mate , take a point first game back , we are a bit understrength just now waiting on 2 more players ..

your only goal was a wickedly deflected

yours wasn't so pretty either..

4 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

We have heard it all before mate , take a point first game back , we are a bit understrength just now waiting on 2 more players ..

your only goal was a wickedly deflected

yours wasn't so pretty either..

Cowdenbeath scored a goal yesterday?

Don’t disagree too much with your comments about Alloa. I am not cocky about anything in football followed Alloa to long for that. For me there was enough shown by us to prove we are fighting for every point for survival again and will give few more teams a run for their money if they take us for granted.

We really needed to get second goal before halftime. Trouten had a great chance just afore halftime. We also had enough coming from bench to give us back up which was pleasing as last year rode our luck at times with very few injuries.

Can see why Caldwell is bookies favourite for bullet in the championship devoid of any plan B or C.

I was above the Thistle dugout in the stand and their players looked noticeably mystified by Caldwells instructions throughout the game. None more so than Cardle who was being asked to charge around, then sit almost randomly and quite contradictory at times. Cardle isnt a wee boy, hes an experienced player and he was barracked all game. I actually thought he was one of the best players on the pitch when he was given the ball and actually shut his ears off to play his natural game. Was surprised how quiet Bannigan was given his influence on the team in the games I watched Thistle against Alloa last season. It seemed fairly apparent the strategy when Miller was introduced- for him to become a focal point in more of a front 3. Yet one good opportunity aside (with a great save from Parry) it quickly petered out with Miller dropping very deep to try and influence things. Our sub striker Robert Thomson was far more effective, holding up really well, causing problems and getting us up in the park in a stage of the game when Thistle were on top. 

I was pleased with how well we matched up in a game where I expected it would tough to get a result. The players seem to have quickly grasped some of the aspects Grant is trying to implement- everyone did their jobs and knew what was being asked of them. There were a few wee teething problems with the new midfield setup where we allowed Thistle a bit too much space to drive into final third. But despite some of the mystifying coaching Thistles quality was always going to show at some stage. Thankfully it was only a 15 minute spell really.

Hetherington was terrific in the middle. Took a wee while to get going but the game was tailor made for him and he looked like he was enjoying it. Thankfully Parry was fit for the game as he pulled off some fine saves when required. O'Hara flitted in and out but had some good touches and runs, while Trouten and Flannigan showed quality on the ball. A decent outing for us, with a result I would have taken before the game.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Just now, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I was above the Thistle dugout in the stand and their players looked noticeably mystified by Caldwells instructions throughout the game. None more so than Cardle who was being asked to charge around, then sit almost randomly and quite contradictory at times. Cardle isnt a wee boy, hes an experienced player and he was barracked all game. I actually thought he was one of the best players on the pitch. 

You are spot on. Even behind the goals all you could hear was Caldwell screaming “Hey Joe” “Joe” “Hey Joe” constantly for the 75 minutes he was on. Thought I was at a Jimi Hendrix fan convention!!! And yes, he was, by far, our best player!

Some performance from Neil Parry yesterday. We created enough chances to win most games in this division despite a performance that was lacking in the midfield area. This gave Alloa plenty of possession but they didn’t really create much looking back at the highlights. 

Saunders should’ve done better for Alloa’s goal. I’m still not sure if it was him or Trouten who deflected the ball past Sneddon. 

Sneddon did well overall and dealt with the other few shots Alloa could get near the goal.

We should have started with 4 at the back but I guess with the injuries in the midfield this maybe forced Caldwell’s hand. 

Loved Joe Cardle’s effort when scoring after hunting down the ball after it hit the bar. 

Still, two points dropped but the overall performance can only improve moving forward.

Alloa lacked bite up front but if they can add some quality up front through the loan system they have a good shout at staying up again.

Roll and pies were spot in 👍❤️💛

If Thistle don't do something to get a couple of half-decent, pacey fullbacks, the defensive record is going to be torrid this season: the whole defence is slow, and as for the midfield - Bannigan gave away almost as much as he recovered, Penrice was well behind play and Gordon took advantage of the absence of our normal unmissable red-and-yellow colours to hide somewhere.

Alloa Athletic's manager had done his homework: the Thistle defence was repeatedly at sixes and sevens on the wings, with little cover from a stretched midfield and central defenders drawn out of position. The home side had acres of space in midfield: nobody was closed down, and there was no pressing from Thistle. At one point, the panic among the Thistle players was palpable, with every single player in the Thistle half. Mansell wants to while away his time out on the wing, presumably because, despite his height, he can't head the ball: his big opportunity in the box came and the ball flew well past him. Pass marks for Sneddon, Cardle and Millar, although Cardle and Bannigan seem to have started a competition to see who is the most one-footed player in the team. (Cardle was repeatedly shepherded away from goals, but didn't have the wit to pass or the confidence to use his left foot.)

Unless the team is changed to some variant of a 4-man defence for the next outing, the pace of the next game will be dictated by the opposition, and Shankland will be gifted plenty of opportunities. 😰

If Thistle don't do something to get a couple of half-decent, pacey fullbacks, the defensive record is going to be torrid this season: the whole defence is slow, and as for the midfield - Bannigan gave away almost as much as he recovered, Penrice was well behind play and Gordon took advantage of the absence of our normal unmissable red-and-yellow colours to hide somewhere.

Alloa Athletic's manager had done his homework: the Thistle defence was repeatedly at sixes and sevens on the wings, with little cover from a stretched midfield and central defenders drawn out of position. The home side had acres of space in midfield: nobody was closed down, and there was no pressing from Thistle. At one point, the panic among the Thistle players was palpable, with every single player in the Thistle half. Mansell wants to while away his time out on the wing, presumably because, despite his height, he can't head the ball: his big opportunity in the box came and the ball flew well past him. Pass marks for Sneddon, Cardle and Millar, although Cardle and Bannigan seem to have started a competition to see who is the most one-footed player in the team. (Cardle was repeatedly shepherded away from goals, but didn't have the wit to pass or the confidence to use his left foot.)
Unless the team is changed to some variant of a 4-man defence for the next outing, the pace of the next game will be dictated by the opposition, and Shankland will be gifted plenty of opportunities. [emoji27]
6/4 Dundee utd get ur savings on it

Brilliant highlights package as usual Leo and reinforced what i remember from Saturday.We kept the ball really well and with a little more care with our final ball could easily have scored more.Thistle 2nd half had chances too and big Neil saved us on a couple of occasions.No game in this league is easy but if we continue playing this way we will win games.My MOM was Peter Grant,widened the pitch and sent us out to play our way rather than worry about our opponents.Totally positive in his outlook has got me on board right away.

The worst thing about Saturday was our attempts at goal kicks. It was as if we'd practiced them all summer without thinking that the opposition might press us up the pitch if we start passing between the 2 central defenders before just launching it up the park anyway.

The worst thing about Saturday was our attempts at goal kicks. It was as if we'd practiced them all summer without thinking that the opposition might press us up the pitch if we start passing between the 2 central defenders before just launching it up the park anyway.

I didn’t understand why Scott Fox, last seasons goalkeeper in the TOTY and champion of the league, is sitting on the bench. Does he have a knock?
The keeper in goal looked nervy every time he got the ball.