Edinburgh Fringe 2019

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

There will be a contribution to the usual short term let issues central Edinburgh contends with, but sniffiness about the fringe is a central plank of a peculiar Edinburgh superiority complex that Bella Caledonia is particularly guilty of printing. Mainly because Mike Small has to fill the site up with his own stuff.

There's no denying that the festival has become more and more a corporate wankfest as the years pass.

The issues of air bnb, gentrification etc obviously tie into this.

16 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

The boy's made an effort to go viral on YT and tbh he does come across as a bit of a virus cutting about outside the Ferry Boat complaining about inequality/gentrification whilst wearing a Vivienne Westwood shirt with the top few buttons undone.  Think it's safe to say he doesn't nip in there for a pint very often.

There's some good points thought, it has become too commercial/corporate and overgrown over the past decade or so imo.  I don't mind that too much though but think a lot of the hate from locals for it is boosted by the general shitness of the city centre festivals/markets at Christmas time which creates hostility towards the Fringe when it comes around.  The two events go hand in hand for a lot of people.

I'll always love the Old Town but it'd never occur to me to go for a night out there anymore when me and mates used to do it regularly.  It has gone too far in the direction of being a place to fleece cash from tourists and not so much for residents anymore.

Got tickets to see Neil Delamere which I'm looking forward to, but that's all we've got so far.

Almost everyone in our group has had kids in the last 2 years, so it'll be a bit different this year. Fingers crossed we get decent weather for the days we've decided to head through for it though, can make such a difference to the whole experience.

1 hour ago, Boostin' Kev said:

The boy's made an effort to go viral on YT and tbh he does come across as a bit of a virus cutting about outside the Ferry Boat complaining about inequality/gentrification whilst wearing a Vivienne Westwood shirt with the top few buttons undone.  Think it's safe to say he doesn't nip in there for a pint very often.

There's some good points thought, it has become too commercial/corporate and overgrown over the past decade or so imo.  I don't mind that too much though but think a lot of the hate from locals for it is boosted by the general shitness of the city centre festivals/markets at Christmas time which creates hostility towards the Fringe when it comes around.  The two events go hand in hand for a lot of people.

I'll always love the Old Town but it'd never occur to me to go for a night out there anymore when me and mates used to do it regularly.  It has gone too far in the direction of being a place to fleece cash from tourists and not so much for residents anymore.

Aye, you can actually hear his accent change slightly when he's outside the boat next to those punters. I think he's from Leith/Granton though.

I can take or leave the festival now tbh. I usually just take the kids to see the street performers and a kids show. There's obviously some great stuff on, but equally there's plenty of unmitigated shite too. 

I do think that there's a feeling among a lot of residents that the city is run for the benefit of the tourists, business  and students, rather than the people who live and work here. That feeling is obviously magnified when the festival is in town.

10 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Aye, you can actually hear his accent change slightly when he's outside the boat next to those punters. I think he's from Leith/Granton though.

I can take or leave the festival now tbh. I usually just take the kids to see the street performers and a kids show. There's obviously some great stuff on, but equally there's plenty of unmitigated shite too. 

I do think that there's a feeling among a lot of residents that the city is run for the benefit of the tourists, business  and students, rather than the people who live and work here. That feeling is obviously magnified when the festival is in town.

Yeah, there's no doubt the city centre and surrounding areas are more organised for tourists and students now to cash in for big businesses based outside of the city.

Residents from places like Barcelona, Venice, Berlin are complaining about it too. 

You'll know the changes that are happening in Leith just now. It'll keep spreading further if it keeps going as it is I've been recommending Lochend as a good place to buy a property. Never thought I'd be saying that. 

1 hour ago, LeeVanTeeth said:

This sounds like fun at the Pleasance for super woke folk like myself ---

Titania McGrath is a radical intersectionalist poet committed to feminism, social justice and armed peaceful protest.

Titiania McGrath is a parody twitter account run by the arseholes at Spiked Online.

Going to go to some free comedy after work. Had a look online but it’s hard picking someone specific when you don’t know any of them so will probably just take a flyer and see what happens.
I went to see Adam Rowe and Scott Bennett last year, both "free" or pay £5 in advance to secure a seat.

The boy from earth 19:50 at the Voodoo Rooms was fucking dreadful, no funny jokes for an apparent comedy. He also said it was "great to be back in England" and "here in London" perhaps he was lost coming to think of it