Edinburgh Fringe 2019

The festival is nearly on us, the weirdo Edinburgers can use this thread to moan about how they can't move during day to day life in their wee city without being pestered by c***s with flyers. The gid c***s like Billy Dynamite can regale us with tales of hilarity at what he's seen and is going to see. While the rest of us can put up what shows we want to see, shows we have seen and anything else they care to divulge inbetween.

I've taken 7 days off to enjoy copious amounts of alcohol and the free fringe, not decided on buying tickets for shows as of yet.

There's a comedy forum called Cookd and Bombd that always has a lot of good recommendations, big thread on there about it and some posters there travel up from all over the UK to spend the whole of the Fringe here cramming in 6-7 shows a day, it's mental that people here don't appreciate living in the city at that time of the year.  Chortle usually has reliable reviews as well.

Planning on doing mainly freebies this year for a bit of fun and puting a fiver in a bucket at the end of the show, trouble with that though is that for the best freebies you have to pay for a ticket in advance to guarantee entry and if someone's getting a lot of hype you won't get in for free.   Will buy a few more expensive tickets for acts I'm sure I'll like or have seen before and know are good.

Looking forward to it as always.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Baby means no shows for me for the first time in forever. Shame as Daniel Kitson is back doing a couple of shows and has specifically required that there are some on the door tickets each day given he normally sells out in about an hour.

One of my mates is Daniel Kitson daft.  Never seen him myself and last I checked none of his stuff was available to view online, everything gets taken down quickly.  Very hard to get tickets for in previous years and you have to buy around 4 pints beforehand to keep you going throughout the whole show. 

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

This might be your chance then, I think he has one show at the Stand, not sure where the other is.

I'll speak to my mate about a ticket he'll be all over it.  Queues up well before sale time if a handful more tickets have been released and he hasn't got one already just to get a ticket for himself at some awkward time of day either early or late.

2 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Going to see Foil, Arms and Hog. Trying to keep an open mind, but judging by YouTube they look about as funny as a punch in the testicles, and tickets were £17.50. Friday night and there’s a crowd going though so should be a decent night, even if the show is shite. 

Im going to see them too. Saw them a while ago in Glasgow and was decent but they churn a video out every week so there will be plenty of shite ones. Show should be all the decent ones i imagine and ones yet to be put up online.

Edited by gannonball

11 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Im going to see them too. Saw them a while ago in Glasgow and was decent but they churn a video out every week so there will be plenty of shite ones.

Seeing them on Wednesday. Their weekly videos can be hit and miss. 

3 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

One of my mates is Daniel Kitson daft.  Never seen him myself and last I checked none of his stuff was available to view online, everything gets taken down quickly.  Very hard to get tickets for in previous years and you have to buy around 4 pints beforehand to keep you going throughout the whole show. 

He's probably funny but  if you have to drink 4 pints to find someone funny then it's not a clue to quality...

14 hours ago, tree house tam said:

The festival is nearly on us, the weirdo Edinburgers can use this thread to moan about how they can't move during day to day life in their wee city without being pestered by c***s with flyers. 

I suppose I'm a weirdo then, it's fucking infuriating

First time experiencing the Fringe whilst living here, intrigued to see if it’s as much of a pain in the arse as people make out. I doubt it will be that bad, and am really quite looking forward to going to plenty of stuff over the next month. Will probably take some recommendations from this thread.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

First time experiencing the Fringe whilst living here, intrigued to see if it’s as much of a pain in the arse as people make out. I doubt it will be that bad, and am really quite looking forward to going to plenty of stuff over the next month. Will probably take some recommendations from this thread.

I think it depends. Working in the centre of town means I find it utterly shit, I think if you live/work away from the centre then you can avoid it a bit.