Sign in to follow this  
BawWatchin

Hong Kong Riots

I'm not upset at all champ; to try and call someone else 'strange' given your own weirdo decisions to live in utter shiteholes like The Philippines is simply ridiculous.

And I'm certainly not buying you crying wolf about big, bad China just because they're encroaching on your beloved region of corrupt bin countries. 

I'm not upset at all champ; to try and call someone else 'strange' given your own weirdo decisions to live in utter shiteholes like The Philippines is simply ridiculous.
And I'm certainly not buying you crying wolf about big, bad China just because they're encroaching on your beloved region of corrupt bin countries. 

Okay then

This isn't like Tianamen Square in 1989 where everybody has been silenced, and no public discussion, or commemoration of it is allowed in Chine. .   Everything that Beijing does can be instantly uploaded to the internet. 
This is people fighting for their freedoms and deserve to be supported. 
Freedom from what exactly?

49 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Okay then

Be sure to let us know when the Chinese imperial flotilla for the conquest of Scotland sails around your decrepit bin of a country though!

Be sure to let us know when the Chinese imperial flotilla for the conquest of Scotland sails around your decrepit bin of a country though!

Okay

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 28/07/2019 at 19:57, beefybake said:
This isn't like Tianamen Square in 1989 where everybody has been silenced, and no public discussion, or commemoration of it is allowed in Chine. .   Everything that Beijing does can be instantly uploaded to the internet. 
This is people fighting for their freedoms and deserve to be supported. 

Freedom from what exactly?

Do your own work.

Can't claim any special insight on how this will play out, but I think the Hong Kong situation raises interesting questions for those who seem very confident of China's unstoppable rise.

The Communist Party in China came to power in violence and has maintained that power essentially through violence and bribery. Disagree and you go to prison, sit tight and we give you consumer goods and make you rich.

That works as long as you make people rich and manage to keep relatively quiet the extent to which you inflict violence on people. The problem, it seems to me, is that the technology that allows China to keep tabs on its population so successfully can now also be turned against it.

Hong Kong is a tech-savvy place full of young people who know how to communicate both with the west and with those in mainland China. The crucial difference between this and the Arab Spring, in my view, is that people from Hong Kong are not generally perceived as backwards people from a terrorist-infested violent shitehole. I think most Arabs are perceived that way in the west. It turns people off. This difference in perception is important.

Also, the Arab countries involved tended not to have a clear or unified vision of what they wanted once the dictators were gone. There was a mix of secular and Islamist groups, nationalists, communists etc. It was a mess.

I don't think these protests will ultimately change much, but this is going to keep happening. VPNs exist, online newspapers exist social media exists. A drip drip of discontent could very easily spread around China, especially if the economy stalls, which some claim is already happening a lot faster than the Chinese government is letting on. China has huge economic inequality between its coastal regions and the interior and this is clearly a threat to domestic stability.

The Chinese government cannot go in and kill people on a large scale in Hong Kong. It would be a PR disaster which would quickly spread around the mainland as well as having an impact in Taiwan, Tibet etc. It would be a massive loss of face and legitimacy for the Communist Party. But if they don't, this surely emboldens those in mainland China as their complaints grow.

Could China now conceivably deal with a Tiananmen-style event in the same way and get away with it domestically? I'm not sure it could.

As I said, I don't think this will change the world tomorrow. But I think what's happening in Hong Kong is an example of the massive problems China is going to have as the age of communication develops and they are left with a 20th century ideology trying to control a huge population with access to 21st century technology.

Long term, I think China may well regret taking Hong Kong back at all. It's one thing to smother expression and dissent in an era with little mass communication that can't easily be controlled. It's quite another to suddenly, in the age of easy global communication, remove rights that people have become used to having and it's hard to see how China does that.

Nothing lasts forever. Not even China.

Edited by JTS98

On 12/09/2019 at 11:52, Zawar Khan said:

yes! china is eventually started to control the protest by every passing day. even they using GFW features in HK for internet blockage

Interesting wee bit on Click ( BBC) on this kind of shit. 

The shooting of the protestor in Hong Kong and the CCP's defence of the action is more evidence that the Communist Party does not understand the nature of the problem it has in Hong Kong. It is trying to solve a problem through violence despite not being able (due to the global scrutiny of the situation) to use appropriate violence to solve the problem.

And there lies the Chinese state's problem. It has nothing except violence. When violence cannot be used, it cannot win.

This is becoming more interesting by the week. The rules China usually plays by don't work anymore.