Hong Kong Riots

BawWatchin

58 minutes ago, Detournement said:

US proxies in Hong Kong following the example of their Venezuelan colleagues by setting people on fire.

13 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I don't think the CIA would particularly want anyone set on fire but it's extremely likely they are involved with the protest leaders.

You are just regurgitating Chinese Communist Party talking points. 

There is something depressing about the Chinese government’s claim that foreign “black hands” are behind the protests in Hong Kong. For the claim is both nonsensical and, in mainland China, widely believed. It is a fresh lesson in the power of disinformation to see decent, patriotic Chinese sharing tales of the cia paying gullible Hong Kongers to join marches or smuggling in foreign rioters on late-night flights (a rumour sourced to a driver at Hong Kong airport, in the version that Chaguan heard).

https://www.economist.com/china/2019/08/15/why-chinese-officials-imagine-america-is-behind-unrest-in-hong-kong

It is as old as any trick in the book to try to blame public discontent on foreign agitators. Stalin and Mao murdered millions using this tactic, 

Claiming the protests are largely foreign controlled delegitimises them.

By swallowing this, rather than looking at the much more complex social conditions, long term trends and concerns of the people who have ended up taking this desperate action, dullards with no knowledge of the city and its people can blunder around websites pretending to be deeply knowledgeable and have near mystical insights int the machinations of the dark and sinister forces stirring up these otherwise humble citizens of the beneficent communist party. 

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd have thought a stable Hong Kong would be a CIA policy objective as a fairly safe place to be based for intelligence gathering on China.

Western companies are massively invested into Hong Kong. Its economy is bigger than Irelands. China has serious restrictions on inward investment so its a good place for both sides to be able to benefit from investment and a high tech, well legislated, stable place to do business. 

Destabilising it would be like the CIA trying to crash the Canadian economy just to show them who was boss. The CIA will likely have people information gathering. Something as important is this, the US will want to know what is likely to happen. The current problems are largely down to Xi Jinping's increasing nationalism and authoritarianism. Carrie Lam's extradition bill was an over reach that should have been quietly shelved rather quickly, but they dug their heels in with a "my way or the highway" attitude. There was a thought the protests would calm down when universities started up, but many Hong Kongers now see this as an existential crisis. This is the last line in the sand before the CPC can drag you off in the middle of the night for having the wrong opinion. 

Jinping has made it clear he values control over the money the territory generates, the one thing they thought would keep them safe no longer does. 

And instead we have the tin foil twats making up fairystories out of CPC bullshit to turn mainlanders against them. 

18 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

You are just regurgitating Chinese Communist Party talking points.

It's a matter of record that as well murdering a huge number of people the CIA has spent it's existence creating, directing and funding domestic groups to oppose governments that don't conform to US economic hegemony. The idea that they aren't playing any part in the current situation in Hong Kong or it's portrayal in western media is laughable.

I know you enjoy doing your sensible Times reader act but you are sticking up for an organisation with a horrific history which is currently led by a women who directly tortured people.

Just now, Detournement said:

It's a matter of record that as well murdering a huge number of people the CIA has

So you have zero evidence for your drivel. 

. The idea that they aren't playing any part i

You go from claiming the protests are "US proxies"  to suggesting they might be playing some vague and possibly minuscule role. All based on a total ignorance of the region. 

And its far from the only quackpot conspiracy you peddle. 

r an organisation with a horrific history 

The Great Leap Forward (over 10 million dead), Tianamen Square, Xinjiang etc etc.

Am I defending China?

We don't need to wait for Agee, Ellsberg, Church Committee, Assange, Snowden type revelations to speculate on what the CIA is up to. A second Cold War has begun and we know enough of what the CIA got up to opposing the USSR to have a strong idea of their actions now.

You are exactly the type of person who would have swallowed the Weapons of Mass Destruction line in 2003 and no doubt thought the No Fly Zone in Libya was a great idea. You obviously have a military fetish and a great affection for social hierarchies. We are not going to agree on this.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Am I defending China?

We don't need to wait for Agee, Ellsberg, Church Committee, Assange, Snowden type revelations to speculate on what the CIA is up to. A second Cold War has begun and we know enough of what the CIA got up to opposing the USSR to have a strong idea of their actions now.

You are exactly the type of person who would have swallowed the Weapons of Mass Destruction line in 2003 and no doubt thought the No Fly Zone in Libya was a great idea. You obviously have a military fetish and a great affection for social hierarchies. We are not going to agree on this.

I measured you up on here as a tin foil hat patient who is let out for the day as long as they promise to return later. I'm glad I did, as you quite clearly are.

I do however agree with you on this one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 23:52, BawWatchin said:

I measured you up on here as a tin foil hat patient who is let out for the day as long as they promise to return later. I'm glad I did, as you quite clearly are.

...and with that, my irony-o-meter spontaneously combusted.

33 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Major win for the pro democracy parties in Hong Kong yesterday. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-50541627

:wub:

Another graphic.

EKMedl9XsAAXwg_.jpg

Though the "Pro Democracy" label might be a bit subjective. Here's a list of parties included.

image.thumb.png.7263129fa8f68d0bc257305df06da65e.png

Edited by welshbairn