Hong Kong Riots

BawWatchin

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

China has said they have 'powerful evidence' that US have incited the riots. I wouldn't be surprised. 

Would you react differently in their situation. 

Do you know much about their situation?

The riots are getting worse. HK airport closed for a 2nd day.
China has said they have 'powerful evidence' that US have incited the riots. I wouldn't be surprised. 

Don’t think they have claimed the US has ‘incited’ any riots. They suggest they have evidence of the US encouraging the protesters (I’m sure the UK probably has as well). Which if true is ridiculous of the US or anyone else, kind of Hungary ‘56 style.

Was in Shenzhen and Hong Kong last week, left just before the airport was occupied. Spoke to some of the protesters and they are hoping the ‘world’ sees their dilemma. Hence the occupying the airport last week. They are on a hiding to nothing as I doubt anyone is going to truly stand up to Mainland China.

The only chance Hong Kong has is the northern/north western autonomous regions rise up in China, but that is not going to happen as Beijing’s iron fisted control of these regions stops anything before it starts.

The build up of troops in Shenzhen, although probably a threat at this point, is alarming.

Martial law in Hong Kong in the coming weeks would not be a surprise.

China really should be a concern for everyone these days.

China already has 5000 PLA troops garrisoned in Hong Kong along with 12,000 riot police over in Shenzhen. I suspect the well advertised military manouveurs are an attempt warn the protesters to cool it rather than evidence of an imminent attack. The protesters are seriously deluded if they think there will be any serious pressure on China from the West to stop them taking control if it comes to it. Trump's economic war has blown any leverage they might have had. If China moves in it will be business as normal for the wealthy so there will be nothing for the West to worry about.

China already has 5000 PLA troops garrisoned in Hong Kong along with 12,000 riot police over in Shenzhen. I suspect the well advertised military manouveurs are an attempt warn the protesters to cool it rather than evidence of an imminent attack. The protesters are seriously deluded if they think there will be any serious pressure on China from the West to stop them taking control if it comes to it. Trump's economic war has blown any leverage they might have had. If China moves in it will be business as normal for the wealthy so there will be nothing for the West to worry about.

There isn’t going to be any ‘attack’. The PLA have to be invited in, which, if things continue they will do as part of martial law to quell the protests. Either way, either by presence or intervention, China will get their way.

Agree on the protesters being deluded, but they haven’t much choice. They want to try and stop the inevitable.

The west should be concerned about China in general, nothing to do with Hong Kong; the belt and road initiatives, control of rare earth minerals. Claims on the South China Sea and the building of artificial islands and the investments of projects in developing countries, locally; mainly Philippines, Laos, Cambodia (and the general raping of the land there). Should be a concern.

11 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

China really should be a concern for everyone these days.

Why should China be a concern to anyone living in Scotland? There's nothing to suggest that they're aiming to be a global empire - what they quite clearly want is regional dominance in south and east Asia as a major global power; in the same way that Russia is striving to get its dominant sphere of influence in the former Soviet Union back and the same way that the US has emptied countless legitimate governments in its own backyard i.e. the entire Western Hemisphere of the planet. 

There's no European interest in this matter; the onus is on the other states of south-eastern Asia to look after their own interests through their own alliance building instead of looking for some global policemen to help them out. 

Why should China be a concern to anyone living in Scotland? There's nothing to suggest that they're aiming to be a global empire - what they quite clearly want is regional dominance in south and east Asia as a major global power; in the same way that Russia is striving to get its dominant sphere of influence in the former Soviet Union back and the same way that the US has emptied countless legitimate governments in its own backyard i.e. the entire Western Hemisphere of the planet. 
There's no European interest in this matter; the onus is on the other states of south-eastern Asia to look after their own interests through their own alliance building instead of looking for some global policemen to help them out. 

Who said anything about Scotland specifically?

The reach and investment of China goes far beyond Asia. Yes they want their regional dominance, but their investments and strategy into Africa, Europe and elsewhere would suggest they are aiming to be a global empire.

Just a quick snapshot for Europe:
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-china-business-in-europe/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/2131334/europes-security-concerns-over-chinese-investments-need-be

17 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Who said anything about Scotland specifically?

You said it should be a concern for 'everyone'; presumably the people of Scotland fall under that category. It isn't a concern for us though, because there is no fundamental conflict of interests whatsoever between Scotland and China. What with being halfway round the world and all. 

The reach and investment of China goes far beyond Asia. Yes they want their regional dominance, but their investments and strategy into Africa, Europe and elsewhere would suggest they are aiming to be a global empire.

Erm no, Chinese foreign investment as part of the most globalised economy ever seen is not a red flag (pun intended) for a global imperium: that is just tinfoil hat wearing nonsense. 

Hopefully you'll have learnt the error of your ways before the People's Liberation Army come calling to whatever corrupt shitehole you're living in now. Can't see duped American apologists faring too well tbh. 

Erm no, Chinese foreign investment as part of the most globalised economy ever seen is not a red flag (pun intended) for a global imperium: that is just tinfoil hat wearing nonsense. 
Hopefully you'll have learnt the error of your ways before the People's Liberation Army come calling to whatever corrupt shitehole you're living in now. Can't see duped American apologists faring too well tbh. 

Your a strange fella.

I'm not upset at all champ; to try and call someone else 'strange' given your own weirdo decisions to live in utter shiteholes like The Philippines is simply ridiculous.

And I'm certainly not buying you crying wolf about big, bad China just because they're encroaching on your beloved region of corrupt bin countries. 

I'm not upset at all champ; to try and call someone else 'strange' given your own weirdo decisions to live in utter shiteholes like The Philippines is simply ridiculous.
And I'm certainly not buying you crying wolf about big, bad China just because they're encroaching on your beloved region of corrupt bin countries. 

Okay then