The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Eh?  Natterism is a 20th C innovation of the disaffected and the aggrieved.  We've gone over this so often.

It's funny because I don't disagree too much with this (mostly the played out tone tbh) at least in that the sheer inevitability of Scottish independence would maybe be less, eh, inevitable if it wasn't for Thatcher, the Feeble Fifty, Tonty Blair, Devolution and the lost decade of austerity. That doesn't dispute that the political force of Scottish independence is nearly unassailable and the needle's only moving one way. Tons of independence movements were successful despite being dormant or outwardly content for centuries only to watch the leading partner utterly f**k itself and rapidly secede when the opportunity presented itself. Maybe if unionists didn't want "Natterism" to separate their beautiful union they shouldn't have allowed such out of their depth aristocratic reactionary clowns to ensure most of Scotland ended up disaffected and aggrieved.

11 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Maybe if unionists didn't want "Natterism" to separate their beautiful union they shouldn't have allowed such out of their depth aristocratic reactionary clowns to ensure most of Scotland ended up disaffected and aggrieved.

Except the true history of Scotland in Union is of the Scotch tail wagging the English dog - and that  has been the case since 1707.  We saw this most clearly, as I have said, in 2003, when we Scotch took the UK in to a dreadful and unnecessary war against Iraq.

This has the square root of heehaw to do with, "aristocratic reactionary clowns" but all to do with Scotland punching above its weight in our delightful partnership for close to 500 years.

I have said various times that to be a Natter is to take all you know about Scotland and invert it.  You just confirmed my thesis.

Love to completely disregard the last 40 years of lived experience for literally thousands upon thousands of folk, when trying to explain the continuous rise in support for self determination in the last *checks notes* 40 years.

11 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Except the true history of Scotland in Union is of the Scotch tail wagging the English dog - and that  has been the case since 1707.  We saw this most clearly, as I have said, in 2003, when we Scotch took the UK in to a dreadful and unnecessary war against Iraq.

This has the square root of heehaw to do with, "aristocratic reactionary clowns" but all to do with Scotland punching above its weight in our delightful partnership for close to 500 years.

I have said various times that to be a Natter is to take all you know about Scotland and invert it.  You just confirmed my thesis.

Not certain that any credible Russell Group institution would sign off on any thesis which lazily lays the blame for a war that saw roughly 2/3rds of the House of Commons voting in favour at the floor of "we Scotch" despite the thousands that marched against it on the streets of Scotland but let me know how you get on! 

3 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

You do know that British bombing killed more in Hamburg during one raid than died from Luftwaffe bombing in the U.K. during the whole war.
But we were the ‘good guys’ so I suppose that was acceptable!

IIRC For every ton of bombs that were dropped on the UK, 315 tons of bombs were dropped on Germany.

The bombing of Coventry led to 451 deaths.  The bombing of Dresden was more than 22,000.

34 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Not certain that any credible Russell Group institution would sign off on any thesis 

Two of my three are at RG Yoonis but, unlike them, you're taking liberties with the word 'thesis'.  Hegel would be ashamed f you.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Some of our "aristocratic reactionary clowns" have indeed been accepted as leaders in England and have made some very bad decisions, but it doesn't mean that they represented the people of Scotland, who voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU as proud Europeans. You have chosen to hold close to your home counties neighbours with their backward, pre Enlightenment ideas, which you're quite entitled to, but like the aforementioned clowns you have no right to claim to represent 21st century Scotland. 

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Some of our "aristocratic reactionary clowns" have indeed been accepted as leaders in England and have made some very bad decisions, but it doesn't mean that they represented the people of Scotland, who voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU as proud Europeans. You have chosen to hold close to your home counties neighbours with their backward, pre Enlightenment ideas, which you're quite entitled to, but like the aforementioned clowns you have no right to claim to represent 21st century Scotland. 

As I said, "To be a Natter is to take all you know about Scotland and invert it"

3 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

You do know that British bombing killed more in Hamburg during one raid than died from Luftwaffe bombing in the U.K. during the whole war.
But we were the ‘good guys’ so I suppose that was acceptable!

Yes, we were the good guys.

The real baddies were the ones during the last century that were still raping and murdering innocent women and children.

You have no idea what the Japanese did to people in the Far East.

A relative of mine hid in the jungle when the Japs invaded, burned down everything, and raped as they went.

Millions of Jews murdered by the Germans.

I guess you have selective memory from events during the World Wars, why? I really don’t have a clue.

Be under no illusions if the Japanese and German maniac HITLER were not stopped, in this part of the world you would all be blond and blue eyed.

Many years ago, as I was pumping up for the Scotland v England match, here we go here we go , we hate the English etc.

( I actually believed in the SNP then, but the current crop are a waste of space)

An old worker pulled me aside, listen, I am a proud Scot and you are obviously one also, but let me tell you , we have a lot to thank the English for, stopping Hitler and the Japs, turned out he was in Regiment with lots of English who helped save his life in battle.

5 minutes ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

Yes, we were the good guys.

The real baddies were the ones during the last century that were still raping and murdering innocent women and children.

You have no idea what the Japanese did to people in the Far East.

A relative of mine hid in the jungle when the Japs invaded, burned down everything, and raped as they went.

Millions of Jews murdered by the Germans.

I guess you have selective memory from events during the World Wars, why? I really don’t have a clue.

Be under no illusions if the Japanese and German maniac HITLER were not stopped, in this part of the world you would all be blond and blue eyed.

Many years ago, as I was pumping up for the Scotland v England match, here we go here we go , we hate the English etc.

( I actually believed in the SNP then, but the current crop are a waste of space)

An old worker pulled me aside, listen, I am a proud Scot and you are obviously one also, but let me tell you , we have a lot to thank the English for, stopping Hitler and the Japs, turned out he was in Regiment with lots of English who helped save his life in battle.

You probably would have had a sneaking admiration for the Germans or Japanese in WW2 if you can support both Clach and County from the Ferry.

17 minutes ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

Yeah, i think we can safely file this pish in the "Things that never happened" bin. 

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think Britain started swinging the tide against Rommel until the Americans came into the war and resupplied them. If we'd lost the Battle of Britain and it was followed up by an invasion the Americans would likely have stayed out of the war in Europe, as advised by their man in London, JFK's Dad, who thought we didn't have a chance. 

Total poppycock old chap.

Fact of the matter is, in both these battles the Germans were outwitted.

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You probably would have had a sneaking admiration for the Germans or Japanese in WW2 if you can support both Clach and County from the Ferry.

Nothing wrong with the Ferry.

But, NO admiration for either of them during WW2

A few memory lapses on the site regarding the German atrocities of WW1.

Seems to be blame it all on the English.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

IIRC For every ton of bombs that were dropped on the UK, 315 tons of bombs were dropped on Germany.

The bombing of Coventry led to 451 deaths.  The bombing of Dresden was more than 22,000.

"By the time of this air raid, some 1,236 people had been killed by air raids on Coventry"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coventry_Blitz

Hmmm.

8 hours ago, NotThePars said:

It's funny because I don't disagree too much with this (mostly the played out tone tbh) at least in that the sheer inevitability of Scottish independence would maybe be less, eh, inevitable if it wasn't for Thatcher, the Feeble Fifty, Tonty Blair, Devolution and the lost decade of austerity. That doesn't dispute that the political force of Scottish independence is nearly unassailable and the needle's only moving one way. Tons of independence movements were successful despite being dormant or outwardly content for centuries only to watch the leading partner utterly f**k itself and rapidly secede when the opportunity presented itself. Maybe if unionists didn't want "Natterism" to separate their beautiful union they shouldn't have allowed such out of their depth aristocratic reactionary clowns to ensure most of Scotland ended up disaffected and aggrieved.

Yeah, I mean for the over 300 years of the Union, we've only had the popular franchise for the last Century or so, and therefore no way of expressing a desire for indy before that really. It took a half century after that to get the first Nationalist MP, but only 40 years after that to get our own parliament back, 15 years after that to get a first independence referendum.... it's an accelerating trend.

Edited by renton

22 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

Just caught a bit of his speech slating "human rights lawyers and other do-gooders." When will the penny drop with the British public?

The current long-term aim is withdrawal from the European Convention on Human Rights. There's still work to be done on persuading the public to go along with it, but being able to 'properly' punish criminals will likely be the trump card.

Then the real work can begin.