The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

I'm starting to think it's win-win for Boris. If it all goes pear shaped he can resign, blame everyone else and go back to after dinner speaking/journalism but with his rates bumped up for being an ex-PM and if by some miracle he gets a slightly better offer from the EU he will be SuperBoris and swan around as PM for a few years before he gets his snout seriously into the trough.

3 hours ago, RockMusic said:

All I know is he's a painter/decorator. Decent bloke until he started talking politics. The table fell very quiet at that point.

Well, to be fair, he'll be doing well out of four decades of right wing fuckery from Westminster.

Oh, hang on..

25 minutes ago, btb said:

I'm starting to think it's win-win for Boris. If it all goes pear shaped he can resign, blame everyone else and go back to after dinner speaking/journalism but with his rates bumped up for being an ex-PM and if by some miracle he gets a slightly better offer from the EU he will be SuperBoris and swan around as PM for a few years before he gets his snout seriously into the trough.

Surely we all get it by now? Johnson, Mogg, Javid, Hammond, May - hell, pick a Tory - will not be affected in the fucking slightest  by whatever is the end result of this nightmare.  They don't care about anyone but themselves and those like them. Worst case scenario for them is that they are at risk of being deservedly killed by the citizenry of this country and have to move elsewhere to spend more time with their our money.

On 29/07/2019 at 13:05, Mastermind said:

There’s a counter-argument there that the minority Nationalists are a gullible bunch - just because the SNP promise everything will be a shortbread-tin tartan paradise after independence the desperate, gullible Nats will follow on.

Luckily the sensible majority saw there was no evidence of this and got them telt.

Shut up and eat your cereal.

39 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
6 hours ago, RockMusic said:
All I know is he's a painter/decorator. Decent bloke until he started talking politics. The table fell very quiet at that point.

Pretty sure I know who you mean.... if it happens again fling the acronym HMRC into the conversation and gauge the reaction.

I'll get his name soon enough. It was my pal that knew him so I'll drop him a line and find out who this masked marauder really is.

15 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

This might be a stupid question but how do you get to watch John Oliver's show? Every time I try to click on his clips on YouTube it says it's blocked in my country.

Could you not watch that one? No problem in Inverness without using a VPN.

Sinn Fein advising that Boris is getting into very dangerous territory here by promising to take N.Ireland out of the EU.

I'm inclined to agree with them. He's certainly not thought this through. Has he ever thought anything through?

Guest Bob Mahelp
53 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Sinn Fein advising that Boris is getting into very dangerous territory here by promising to take N.Ireland out of the EU.

I'm inclined to agree with them. He's certainly not thought this through. Has he ever thought anything through?

I'm realising that to understand what's happening in the UK at the moment, you have to look at American politics from a few years back. 

When Trump was elected on a wave of populist lies and dog whistle policies, we all stood back and waited for the penny to drop......that sooner rather than later, decent people will rebel against blatant populism, and that mainstream American politicians of both parties would refuse to allow Trump's ignorance and divisive policies tear the USA apart.

It hasn't happened. Moderate Republicans have fallen into line with Trump, and there are a huge amount of voters who have embraced his message and who want more of it. The USA is more divided now than at any point since the Vietnam war.

And where America leads, the UK will follow. We're all waiting for Johnson and his idiotic brand of right-wing populism to fail.......because we all refuse to believe that it can possibly succeed.

But what happens when/if it doesn't fail ? What happens when moderate Tories fall into line and support Johnson ? He already has the majority of UK newspapers supporting him, and there are millions in the country who WANT a right-wing populist as PM. 

We all keep on waiting for common-sense to kick in....in regards to Brexit, to devolution in Scotland and Northern Ireland, in future social and economic policies.....but the direction of travel to me suggests that it will not necessarily happen.

We live in strange and troubled times.

Edited by Bob Mahelp

I'm realising that to understand what's happening in the UK at the moment, you have to look at American politics from a few years back. 

When Trump was elected on a wave of populist lies and dog whistle policies, we all stood back and waited for the penny to drop......that sooner rather than later, decent people will rebel against blatant populism, and that mainstream American politicians of both parties would refuse to allow Trump's ignorance and divisive policies tear the USA apart.

It hasn't happened. Moderate Republicans have fallen into line with Trump, and there are a huge amount of voters who have embraced his message and who want more of it. The USA is more divided now than at any point since the Vietnam war.

And where America leads, the UK will follow. We're all waiting for Johnson and his idiotic brand of right-wing populism to fail.......because we all refuse to believe that it can possibly succeed.

But what happens when/if it doesn't fail ? What happens when moderate Tories fall into line and support Johnson ? He already has the majority of UK newspapers supporting him, and there are millions in the country who WANT a right-wing populist as PM. 

We all keep on waiting for common-sense to kick in....in regards to Brexit, to devolution in Scotland and Northern Ireland, in future social and economic policies.....but the direction of travel to me suggests that it will not necessarily happen.

We live in strange and troubled times.

The EU will not concede.

So then we've got a no deal brexit and as far as I can tell, no-one can predict with any certainty what that entails (either for the Irish border or the mainland).

At that point, f**k knows - but at some stage he'll lose a vote of no confidence and then we've got a general election. That's when sturgeon can come into play, but again it's very difficult to predict what England would return in those circumstances. A lot of folk would vote for Boris out of a 'back to the wall' mentality.

That could work well for Scottish independence.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

When the UK leaves N.I. leaves too.

Or are SFIRA doing their usual threats of do what we want or our Military Wing might return to violence.