The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

34 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:
Thanks for all the info.
The poster BJK seems to know all about this stuff so I expect to hear from her quite soon.

Nothing else you can say until the actual scheme details are announced. Sounds to me like another bone being tossed to the party loyal to try to appease them which I suspect will never actually see the light of day. Rising interest rates would be a massive issue for a start. Repairs and maintenance would all become liable by the benefit recipient rather than a landlord. Nah it sounds like pie in the sky especially during a massive cost of living crisis.

I doubt the Tory Party loyal are baying for benefits recepients to get mortgages.

The Tories have no idea what they are doing.  Boris in particular has no clue about anything.  If you gave the guy a golf club he'd probably try to f**k it.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Unless things have changed in the past twenty years, Housing Benefit can be partially used towards a mortgage anyway. I was ill for a while and Housing Benefit paid the monthly interest on our mortgage, but nothing towards the capital amount.

I think Housing Benefit was one of the benefits rolled up into Universal Credit, so it might have changed since then.

You used to get Mortgage Interest Relief under the legacy benefit system. It was replaced with what was basically a loan, the terms of which made it virtually impossible or pointless to obtain.

15 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

You used to get Mortgage Interest Relief under the legacy benefit system. It was replaced with what was basically a loan, the terms of which made it virtually impossible or pointless to obtain.

Thanks, that makes sense.

It's such an odd thing for them to even think of, never mind float in public.

17 minutes ago, Detournement said:

This guy demolishes the whole policy. 

It's staggeringly stupid and can only be down to some Tory PR idiot saying "Play the Hits" after a disaster of a week. 

One of his points was

As I've said before: why not just use the money to provide more social housing, so people in expensive temporary accommodation and private rent can move in. This lowers the benefit bill and provides secure housing. It saves money both directly and intangibly

This to me is biggest point. The Tories have a pathological hate of social housing and are happy to spend taxpayers money in destroying it as much as they can.

1 minute ago, Soapy FFC said:

One of his points was

This to me is biggest point. The Tories have a pathological hate of social housing and are happy to spend taxpayers money in destroying it as much as they can.

Every improvement in the number and quality of social housing units is a direct threat to the potential and actual profits of the private landlords. Anyone who can't understand why the Tories want to do what they have suggested hasn't been paying attention. 

18 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

One of his points was

He mentions that people who take on shared equity will struggle to sell and will be stuck with service charges and repair bills that they don't have at the moment. 

If there is any real thought behind this it's probably to achieve that. 

14 minutes ago, Detournement said:

He mentions that people who take on shared equity will struggle to sell and will be stuck with service charges and repair bills that they don't have at the moment. 

If there is any real thought behind this it's probably to achieve that. 

I assume that if you take on shared equity and only have, say, 10% of the equity, that you are responsible for 100% of the service charges, repair bills etc?

Some c**t on the bbc just now explaining that he thinks the policy will include lifting the savings cap so that people on Universal credit can save for a mortgage without losing their benefits. 

He didn't say how long it might take for someone on UC to save enough. 

The Bodgers reaction to Chris Mason (BBC) ..." We're moving on!"....." benefits into bricks " ... etc.,

Some spad obviously digging-up one of Thatchers  allegedly popular policies (England) in an effort to get away from 211-148 confidence vote.

Another distraction.Nothing more .

Johnson has been warning of a "wage price spiral" if people demand more pay to help cope with increasing costs.

186526813_Johnson2.thumb.PNG.cf65772aa2708b15e2ec6e870a9d9e5b.PNG

In totally unrelated news, Johnson was, a mere 4 months ago, talking up the "high wage, high skill economy" he wanted to develop...

Johnson.thumb.PNG.d147b7132ab889b0e17f6fabb64a36be.PNG

Some c**t on the bbc just now explaining that he thinks the policy will include lifting the savings cap so that people on Universal credit can save for a mortgage without losing their benefits. 
He didn't say how long it might take for someone on UC to save enough. 
It appears to be this despite the headlines. From what the Scarecrow said today it appears to be nothing more than disregarding mortgage savings ISA schemes from the UC capital threshold. UC recipients are well known for their big help to buy ISA pots of course !!!

Total smoke and mirrors stuff.

25 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

It appears to be this despite the headlines. From what the Scarecrow said today it appears to be nothing more than disregarding mortgage savings ISA schemes from the UC capital threshold. UC recipients are well known for their big help to buy ISA pots of course !!!

Total smoke and mirrors stuff.

Actually sounds like it will be help to the top of the income range of working people that get UC as a top up who could realistically save that much.

But it sounds like it's only needed because of the way UC was designed. 

Child tax credits wouldn't have got cut off if you had savings. 

So they're looking for a pat on the head for partially fixing their own botch. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/09/boris-johnsons-blackpool-speech-illuminates-tories-policy-vacuum

"Boris Johnson is running on fumes. Monty Python’s Black Knight trying to convince himself and those around him that he’s only suffered mild flesh wounds when everyone can see he’s fatally damaged goods. So Thursday saw the Convict up at Blackpool and the Fylde College – the closest he gets to levelling up these days is the odd day out to the north-west – where he attempted to convince himself he had some kind of future. On today’s evidence, those 211 MPs who stood by him in Monday’s no-confidence vote will be wondering why they bothered.

It was dismal stuff. Grotesque even. The desperation to try to talk about anything but Partygate only laid bare the poverty of the prime minister’s ambition and achievements. It’s indicative that the only concrete proposals he’s got up and running – on refugees to Rwanda and changes to the Northern Ireland protocol – involve breaking the law.."

10 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
10 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:
We have a winner!

It's way worse, Some mental scheme to use Housing Benefit to pay a mortgage is beyond belief when people can't current afford to eat and heat in many cases is bat shit. Also extending RTB to those in Housing Association homes is peak Tory. It will all be lapped up by their uber c**t core though.

You'll pay your broo money to the mortgage for 20 years, one missed payment and your house will get repossessed, but we're not monsters you can revert to renting.

9 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Using Housing Benefit to pay a mortgage rather than rent. Can’t see any great philosophical difference other than the payer  might own the property some day and join the property owning classes.

45 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You'll pay your broo money to the mortgage for 20 years, one missed payment and your house will get repossessed, but we're not monsters you can revert to renting.

When ideology comes crashing into reality. Imagine thinking that a lying, duplicitous bumbling oaf digging into the Thatcher play-book after the most humiliating set of figures will be doing this as anything other than a stunt. If (aye) it happens the Sarge nails it. 

"The payer might own the property some day" 

house-hugh-laurie.gif.f84616a6b0d7fba61b1737193ae48cb0.gif

I’m astounded that so many MPs, including government ministers, still see Johnson as an electoral asset.  I can only assume that they’re as out of touch as he is.*

Apparently his announcement on imperial measures hardened and increased those MPs who voted against him and this latest proposal is a stunt that is going to buy him zero support and will damage his credibility even further if that’s humanly possible.

* I am sure that there are ministerial advisers who think they’re helping their bosses by protecting them from the truth.  It is an oft repeated failure which never seems to be learned from.