The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

12 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Rise in Union Jack flag-waving is a sign of deep anxiety in the UK

Nation building exercises like flag waving and anthem singing are associated with nascent, insecure countries. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/rise-in-union-jack-flag-waving-is-a-sign-of-deep-anxiety-in-the-uk-1.4525352

Does this only apply to Union Jacks or are Saltires and the Cross of St. George also anxiety driven?

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:
4 hours ago, strichener said:
Does this only apply to Union Jacks or are Saltires and the Cross of St. George also anxiety driven?

Has the government mandated that Saltires and St George crosses be on display every day on all government buildings?

Well according to the SG guidance the Saltire should be -  

The Saltire and European flag should be flown every day from Scottish Government buildings, except where indicated otherwise in the schedule.

Bit or a redder having official guidance to fly a flag of an organisation that you aren't even a member of.

Is that the most up-to-date guidance, Strichener, or is it one of your usual half-truths? I recall the recent kerfuffle when Nicola "insulted the queen" by replacing the Union Flag with the Scottish Royal Standard on Lizzzie's familiy birthdays.

Flagshaggers can find the full guidance relating to silly bits of cloth here

If there's only one flagpole at a SG building, the EU flag can only be flown one day a year (I can pick deliberately misleading examples too!)

Prime Minister promotes flying Union Flags all the time (2007 edition)

Possibly not news to many on here, but Gordon Brown was fond of the flags too.

He also proposed that all school children in England, Scotland and Wales should be required to pledge an oath of allegiance to Great Britain and her flag, in special ceremonies.

43 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Is that the most up-to-date guidance, Strichener, or is it one of your usual half-truths? I recall the recent kerfuffle when Nicola "insulted the queen" by replacing the Union Flag with the Scottish Royal Standard on Lizzzie's familiy birthdays.

Flagshaggers can find the full guidance relating to silly bits of cloth here

If there's only one flagpole at a SG building, the EU flag can only be flown one day a year (I can pick deliberately misleading examples too!)

Yes the quote that I provided is taken straight out of the document you linked to.  It does come from the SG so you are right that it may be a half truth, given their recent aversion to the actual truth.

Edited by strichener

4 minutes ago, strichener said:

Yes the quote that I provided is taken straight out of the document you linked to.  It does come from the SG so you are right that it may be a half truth, given their recent aversion to the actual truth.

Yeah, you quoted one line out of five and a half pages of stripey cloth rules. 

You admit that you are misleading by omission, and are now doubling down with some sort of weird allegation that your snippet means that the SG are averse to the truth?

Sterling work indeed!

36 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Yeah, you quoted one line out of five and a half pages of stripey cloth rules. 

You admit that you are misleading by omission, and are now doubling down with some sort of weird allegation that your snippet means that the SG are averse to the truth?

Sterling work indeed!

I was asked the question of whether there was a policy of flying the saltire from government buildings and quoted from the official flag flying guidance showing that it was.  No half truths, just a quote from an official government document.

You were the one alleging half truths and then linked to the very same document that I quoted.  I have no idea what you are trying to show here but unless you can show that the SG do not have a policy of flying the saltire and EU flag then pipe the f**k down.

22 minutes ago, strichener said:

I was asked the question of whether there was a policy of flying the saltire from government buildings and quoted from the official flag flying guidance showing that it was.  No half truths, just a quote from an official government document.

You were the one alleging half truths and then linked to the very same document that I quoted.  I have no idea what you are trying to show here but unless you can show that the SG do not have a policy of flying the saltire and EU flag then pipe the f**k down.

Stop your contrarian pish. 

If you are willing to answer questions honestly for a change, please tell me:

1) which specific flag or flags will be flown on SG buildings with one flagpole on 26th June 2021?

2) Will the saltire be flown from that building on 26th June 2021

3) How do you reconcile your answers to 1 & 2 above with your statement in bold in the quote above?

Edited by lichtgilphead
wrong date!

4 hours ago, strichener said:

Well according to the SG guidance the Saltire should be -  

Not in all the UK nations (except NI, of course) then like the UJ then.  Good-o.

Bit or a redder having official guidance to fly a flag of an organisation that you aren't even a member of.

https://www.gov.uk/world/organisations/uk-delegation-to-the-council-of-europe

Bit of a redder, indeed.  I wouldn't have the strength of will to show me face if I was you.

Edited by Baxter Parp

14 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Stop your contrarian pish. 

If you are willing to answer questions honestly for a change, please tell me:

1) which specific flag or flags will be flown on SG buildings with one flagpole on 26th June 2021?

2) Will the saltire be flown from that building on 26th June 2021

3) How do you reconcile your answers to 1 & 2 above with your statement in bold in the quote above?

This is really quite simple, my original quote was

The Saltire and European flag should be flown every day from Scottish Government buildings, except where indicated otherwise in the schedule.

I have highlighted the bit in bold just so you can actually read it this time.  The date that you have asked about is an exception that is on the schedule.  Although you are being rather contrarian in picking a specific set of circumstances where the Armed Forces Flag would be the sole (as a result of their only being a single flag pole) flag flown that day.  I will turn this round and ask you which flags will be flying outside the Scottish Parliament on 26th June 2021.

I think the SG having a policy where the Saltire is to be given prevelance on all but 14 days of the year is sufficient to show who is providing a skewed version of fleg protocol.

12 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Not in all the UK nations (except NI, of course) then like the UJ then.  Good-o.

https://www.gov.uk/world/organisations/uk-delegation-to-the-council-of-europe

Bit of a redder, indeed.  I wouldn't have the strength of will to show me face if I was you.

Yet, the Parliament originally decided to take it down once Brexit happened.  Here's what the SNP's Brexit minister had to say

The flag is not only a symbol of our solidarity with the #27 and all EU citizens in Scotland it also represents our wish as a nation to return to membership of a union we never voted to leave.

As I said, bit of a redder, the Scottish Government then forced a debate on the issue to overtunr the SPCB decision.  Here's what they had to say about it at the time -

The EU flag is flown to reflect the overwhelming vote of the people of Scotland to remain in Europe, and as a mark of solidarity with the hundreds of thousands of EU citizens who to call Scotland home despite Brexit.

No mention of the CoE eh?

Along with statues, can we just add flegs to the list of completely unimportant things that roasters upset themselves over?

Seriously, all of it in Beaufort's Dyke. Might help with building the amazing bridge that nobody cares about.

16 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Along with statues, can we just add flegs to the list of completely unimportant things that roasters upset themselves over?

Seriously, all of it in Beaufort's Dyke. Might help with building the amazing bridge that nobody cares about.

What is happening under Johnson in terms of accountability and transparency should be of concern to any right minded person in the U.K.  Except hardly anyone is bothered and irrelevant issues seem to be of increasing importance.

53 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

What is happening under Johnson in terms of accountability and transparency should be of concern to any right minded person in the U.K.  Except hardly anyone is bothered and irrelevant issues seem to be of increasing importance.

The cumulative effect of decades of turning a blind eye. The concern used to be that not enough people knew what the Tories were up to, but I don't think that can be used as an excuse anymore. I think people have just accepted that these people rule us, they'll take what they want, and that's just the way it is. And that's before you get to the folk who mystifyingly believe that's how it should be.

On the plus side, we'll be dead soon and won't have to worry about it anymore.

31 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The cumulative effect of decades of turning a blind eye. The concern used to be that not enough people knew what the Tories were up to, but I don't think that can be used as an excuse anymore. I think people have just accepted that these people rule us, they'll take what they want, and that's just the way it is. And that's before you get to the folk who mystifyingly believe that's how it should be.

Yeah, any time I’m trying to put a positive spin on things I console myself with my imminent demise.

Yeah, any time I’m trying to put a positive spin on things I console myself with my imminent demise.
Careful, lads - when I posted a similar sentiment some of the lads on here were all for sending in the SRRF*.

*Samaritans Rapid Response Force.