The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

Brady admitting there that some of the Tories had post dated their letters so that "it wouldn't affect the Jubilee Celebrations".

Initially, it was wrong to get rid of him while the war in Ukraine was going on. Seems that hurdle has been passed, but a party for the Queen is definitely not to be defiled.

I think he'll win the vote, but even if he does, he's been fatally damaged. 

Wonder what the trigger was for the last few letters. Maybe the booing from what ought to have been the most complaint audience in Britain at the Jubilee  service? 

Missed opportunity. They should have made this part of the #PlattyJoobs and had the vote it on the stage in front of the Royal Family. Cliff Richard could have compered, what an occasion it would’ve been.

Edited by ICTChris

Interesting timing. I find myself wondering what the difference in votes would have been if it took place after the by-elections.  We'll never know. 

The Tory loyal will gather round.  My prediction is that he will win the vote but is now damaged goods, the by-elections will hurt further and he'll be out by Christmas. (Health grounds, "more time with family", "new leadership needed for post-Ukraine world" caught shagging a secretary in a Downing Street cupboard or something like that.)

New leader in post to prepare for next election with a couple of budgets to steady the nerves... Bob's your uncle. 

8 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Anything over his 80 majority he's toast.

In any normal politicians world, I would agree with you............however this is Boris who has never done the honourable thing in his life (political, work, personal) so I wouldnt be too sure.

If he does decide to limp on, even with 80+ against, then they will be in disarray for months with back stabbing, infighting etc.

n.b. It is not written in stone that another vote cant take place later this year (despite what the news outlets will tell you). If enough MPs complain to Graham Brady, they can do it all over again before the year is up - hurrah !

Just now, Leith Green said:

In any normal politicians world, I would agree with you............however this is Boris who has never done the honourable thing in his life (political, work, personal) so I wouldnt be too sure.

If he does decide to limp on, even with 80+ against, then they will be in disarray for months with back stabbing, infighting etc.

n.b. It is not written in stone that another vote cant take place later this year (despite what the news outlets will tell you). If enough MPs complain to Graham Brady, they can do it all over again before the year is up - hurrah !

Is there maybe a loophole with it being a vote of confidence rather than a no confidence vote?

5 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Interesting timing. I find myself wondering what the difference in votes would have been if it took place after the by-elections.  We'll never know. 

There is a reasonable chance of holding the one in Devon, so I wonder if that figured into their thinking.

This is almost a no-lose situation for those of us who despise these venal Tory c***s. Johnson wins and we've got another year of him dragging the party further (yeah I know) into the gutter, he loses it will be humiliating and his cabinet of absolute cretins like Truss, Patel etc will be emptied by whoever replaces him.

Labour do infighting fairly well, but they don't hold a candle to the Tories when it comes to backstabbing.

22 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Predictions?

There are 359 Tory MPs.

I will say 239 for Johnson versus 120 against.

Winning it gives him some perceived security of not having to fight one for a while and it being a bit messy bringing the vote back, I think that could work against him today and a bit of a 'f**k it, this is our chance' attitude comes into play.

Tories are generally absolutely ruthless and love a leadership ballot. May only survived so long because it was a really bizarre situation where it was immensely difficult for any alternative candidate to emerge who could come up with something realistic to be passed that was near palatable to their base without ending their career.

There's little Boris can offer them right now that they can't get out of a bit of horse-trading in the leadership ballot. They can probably use Party Gate to hide a fair no of other scandals attached to the cabinet.