The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

4 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I've got a lot of faith in the young voters and the ones who will vote for the first time in the next general election and the one after in that and they will replace the Brexiteers, raging gammons and traditional proud to be British bigots who will die off.

The dinosaurs might rule now but inevitably they will become extinct.

Yeah, but that's still some time off. Also, for generations people have been having faith in the youngsters to go out and vote, only to be sadly disappointed. Pretty sure that, if young people did somehow look like voting in similar numbers to the auld farts, there'd be a sudden move to raise the voting age, considering how vital this truism is to the establishment.

Also, we keep thinking the fascists have died off. Then they gain appeal for a whole new generation. Every now and then it just becomes popular again to have a "strongman" who rides roughshod over convention, decency, and rule of law, and plenty of people are happy for it to happen so long as they agree with them.

The only answer, I'm afraid, is heavy, heavy drinking.

14 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I've got a lot of faith in the young voters and the ones who will vote for the first time in the next general election and the one after in that and they will replace the Brexiteers, raging gammons and traditional proud to be British bigots who will die off.

It’s a nice thought.  I hope you’re right, however I worry that you might not be.

Let's calm down a bit muckers.

The UK is not drifting to fascism  Anyone who thinks so obviously doesn't know what fascism is.

As for these supposed dinosaurs, the best way to beat them isn't to hope they die out but to tackle their arguments with logic and reason, a concept which seems alien to many.

We're aw' Jock Tamson's bairns!

9 hours ago, Snafu said:

Aye, but it is thought that it took a rare event millions of years ago to make them go extinct; the way that the electorate in England tend to act in general elections, it might be that another huge asteroid strike is as likely as the Tories losing power at the next election.

To me, Jacob Rees Mogg does share some of the characteristics of the movie portrayal of a velociraptor. Happy to be in the limelight while others in the pack sneak about in the background, makes a really annoying sound and can have a disastrous effect on its victims. 

42 minutes ago, Snafu said:

'Username Sparklingbrook has sent a picture rather than a question.'

On 29/05/2022 at 09:36, Donathan said:

If I was a rebel ringleader, I’d be asking potential letter writers to hold off for a few weeks. Boris will be desperate for the 54 letter to be hit in the next week or two so he wins the vote and gets a year’s immunity. If they can wait until after the 23rd June by-elections then I could potentially see them having the numbers to oust him because Tory MPs in both the red wall and blue wall will have a tangible example of their seat being in danger. 

This now seems to be happening - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/02/boris-johnson-tory-rebel-mps-no-confidence-letters-gray-report

18 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Let's calm down a bit muckers.

The UK is not drifting to fascism  Anyone who thinks so obviously doesn't know what fascism is.

As for these supposed dinosaurs, the best way to beat them isn't to hope they die out but to tackle their arguments with logic and reason, a concept which seems alien to many.

We're aw' Jock Tamson's bairns!

For many there is no logic and reason. Many voted on an issue like Brexit based on a dislike of 'foreigners' without really thinking through the consequences. The expat that voted for Brexit without thinking on how it might impinge on their ability to live in benidorm for 6 months, the fishermen who wanted to take back control of our waters without thinking, how the f**k am I going to sell my fish. The dinosaurs are long past logic and reason and seem to be, to twist an analogy, dinosaurs voting for an asteroid. 

5 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

For many there is no logic and reason. Many voted on an issue like Brexit based on a dislike of 'foreigners' without really thinking through the consequences. The expat that voted for Brexit without thinking on how it might impinge on their ability to live in benidorm for 6 months, the fishermen who wanted to take back control of our waters without thinking, how the f**k am I going to sell my fish. The dinosaurs are long past logic and reason and seem to be, to twist an analogy, dinosaurs voting for an asteroid. 

I've genuinely never heard of anyone voting on Brexit because of a dislike of foreigners.

Maybe it's the company you keep?

I've genuinely never heard of anyone voting on Brexit because of a dislike of foreigners.
Maybe it's the company you keep?

I will introduce you to my mother-in-law. Staunch Tory living in Sussex.
She always tells me how much she likes Gordon Brown though, because he gave them the free bus travel.

9 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I will introduce you to my mother-in-law. Staunch Tory living in Sussex.
She always tells me how much she likes Gordon Brown though, because he gave them the free bus travel.

But does she actually tell you she dislikes foreigners?  Seriously?

I just never seem to come across these people, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.  From my own experience, mother in laws can be awful people :D

2 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

But does she actually tell you she dislikes foreigners?  Seriously?

I just never seem to come across these people, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.  From my own experience, mother in laws can be awful people :D

They don’t dislike foreigners generally, just the ones who move here and use the jobs and resources they’re entitled to and want to express their culture on this island. 

I voted Remain but could've been tempted to vote for Brexit had the argument been better or made more sense. 

Something that made me 100% Remain was the deliberately misleading and borderline racist billboards by Nigel Farage showing refugees as some swarm. It was at that point I realised how many people would probably be voting from a purely anti immigration stand point rather than some wider issues with the EU's structure. 

44 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I voted Remain but could've been tempted to vote for Brexit had the argument been better or made more sense. 

Something that made me 100% Remain was the deliberately misleading and borderline racist billboards by Nigel Farage showing refugees as some swarm. It was at that point I realised how many people would probably be voting from a purely anti immigration stand point rather than some wider issues with the EU's structure. 

So lying billboards made you vote Remain? Not the arguments for the obvious fallout from social and economic reasons? Some political vacuum you live in.

8 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

So lying billboards made you vote Remain? Not the arguments for the obvious fallout from social and economic reasons? Some political vacuum you live in.

Just say you've got poor reading comprehension rather than dragging me down with you.