The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

Labour should be taking aim at the Met here. 

First they said they wouldn't investigate. Then the Justice Secretary said they wouldn't investigate. Repeatedly they have stonewalled. Their own officers were right outside. 

Now, at the 11th hour, they intervene with an investigation that means the Sue Gray report will be neutered. 

Starmer will not go after them of course, but someone (Rayner?) should. 

I detest the Tories, always have, always will. We are through the looking glass now though. I’m raging that the “old boys club” have (it appears) managed to squirm out of this whole mess. The police seem to be working in tandem with Downing St. It stinks to high heaven. The Gray report will have to be so watered down that it’ll be hardly worth issuing & the police investigation will last months, I’ve no doubt. 
The Met have had weeks of opportunity to investigate this & only now they decide to. Why?

Ffs! Let’s get independence as soon as possible! 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Labour should be taking aim at the Met here. 

First they said they wouldn't investigate. Then the Justice Secretary said they wouldn't investigate. Repeatedly they have stonewalled. Their own officers were right outside. 

Now, at the 11th hour, they intervene with an investigation that means the Sue Gray report will be neutered. 

Starmer will not go after them of course, but someone (Rayner?) should. 

Never mind Labour, the SNP should be going for Dick and the Met big time.  Accuse her of political complicity.

7 hours ago, Michael W said:

How is the investigation going to be prejudiced? These aren't offences that will see Johnson and his staff thrown in front of a jury, they're dealt with by fixed penalties, albeit potentially large ones. 

There is some suggestion that in reviewing the evidence, there has been other more serious offences uncovered. I would doubt they would be something as serious as massive financial fraud, but it could be something along the lines of drug offenses etc and while there may be charges relating to this, then the allegations and evidence cannot be in the public domain. Of course, it would need to be something as serious as to go before a jury for the 'prejudice' line to be added.

What may be more dissapointing is that given the higher portion of civil servant likely involved, it may well be one of them who has committed a more serious crime, which may be good in a way for Johnson in that 'look a mr/Ms x over there commiting crime and all I did was have a drink'. Equally angering will be if no actual charges are brought and the delay was unnecessary.

With each passing day/hour, the liklihood of BoJo wriggling out of this increases.

When the report does drop, I fear it may be a bit of a let down for all concerned and not be a smoking gun for those wanting him out, nor will it completely clear him. What may be the wildcard is who is charged and also does Cummings/the leaker have additional damaging material 🤔 

"Misconduct in Public Office" charges would be good but I suspect it is likelier to be an attempt to remove the juicy stuff from the report, before dawdling over an investigation that miraculously and surprisingly finds no evidence of criminality. Hence the juicy stuff is never released.

Think it might turn out to be today that the Tories won the next GE, and with Johnson as continuing PM.

May's local election won't matter a jot, as they have a traditionally really low turnout.

The partying and all the rest of the sleaze has now well and truly been swept under the carpet....expect him to start saying that we have drawn a line under it now, next week.

As said, by the time the Met report surfaces, probably saying that a couple of civil servants maybe weren't socially distancing properly in the Downing St garden, and er...thats about it...most folk wont care.

Roll onto the next GE, and you will find those interviewed in Red Wall seats etc saying things like...'it was only a bit of cake after all, and he did get Brexit done....that Starmer doesn't have the experience to be PM for me;...

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

As predicted MI6 agent Tom Tugendhat has announced he is interested in being the next Tory leader. 

An MI6 PM and a former DPP leader of the opposition would be a great advert for democracy. 

A bit more serious now, he'll be a stalking horse allowing the more serious candidates to go a bit further in their "non campaigns" for party laedership.

Edited by btb

17 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Not to go all Paddy Ashdown*, but I will eat my hat if there's anything damning in there after the Met's intervention. 

*Like Paddy, I will not be eating my hat if I am wrong. 

Agreed. It will be a total whitewash. And you can see Sue Gray being the scapegoat in this. A corrupt police force run by a corrupt commissioner who's job is in the hands of a corrupt government. What could be better?

42 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Agreed. It will be a total whitewash. And you can see Sue Gray being the scapegoat in this. A corrupt police force run by a corrupt commissioner who's job is in the hands of a corrupt government. What could be better?

I really feel for Gray. She doesn't have the power to decide if the PM stays in office or not and can only really state the facts as she finds them. She has had her legs cut off by the Met and when the report unsurprisingly doesn't contain the damning details, she is going to cop a lot of flak. In the meantime, the Government will work as best as it can to bury the bad staff and a few No.10 lackies will be fired over it. 

Absolutely none of this is Gray's fault. She was landed in a crap position.