The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

Genuine criminality exposed by his own back bench. I'm sure the party whips have basically been doing the same thing for decades anyway to make sure people toe the line but interesting to see it bubble up so publicly.

Hope he stays as long as possible. The Tories are unelectable in this state even for the gammonate constituencies.

Anyone who's watched Yes Minister knows this has been standard behaviour forever, but if they were daft enough to do more than raise an eyebrow or complement the rebel backbencher on their bravery, and there's corroboration of specific threats, this could get interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/20/ministers-attempting-blackmail-colleagues-who-might-oppose-pm-alleges-tory-mp-william-wragg-boris-johnson

15 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I reckon Johnson is more egotistical than his recent predecessors.  He wanted the top job but never wanted to put in the effort.  That same egotism will be the driver in him not wanting to be forced out.

The problem he’s got is that however he leaves now be it through a “voluntary” resignation or losing a confidence vote the optics will be pretty much the same.

There are always two fairly recurring bits of reporting that come to my mind with Johnson. One is the letter to his dad from his Classics teacher slating his attitude, the other is the excerpt from that 'incident' with Carrie where she called him spoiled. Both are spot on - he's never had to work for anything and can't be bothered working for something her thinks he's entitled too. 

I can't think of a lazier PM or leader. Delegates absolutely everything and seems to be often posted missing. It should also be said that the fact things run smoothly (or as smooth as you'll get under the Johnson government) when he isn't visible tells you all you need to know about him. Despite being the leader of the country, he isn't actually needed. He has tried to redress his delegation culture by increasingly making the positive covid announcements himself, but he also screwed himself with this as Sunak announced a lot of the popular stuff in the beginning. 

That he himself will be the architect of his own downfall is brilliant. A very public humiliation. 

19 minutes ago, GiGi said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60068612

Boris hasn't 'seen any evidence of blackmailing' :lol:

I note that is very different to 'I/my cabinet have not been blackmailing MPs'.

He might be fucked this time.

Dont really understand why Johnson would be that bothered about facing a vote of confidence . He would win it probably comfortably. his payroll taking him most of the way to winning one. So that's why i just can't believe he would go to the bother of blackmailing anyone to avoid one. 

26 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Dont really understand why Johnson would be that bothered about facing a vote of confidence . He would win it probably comfortably. his payroll taking him most of the way to winning one. So that's why i just can't believe he would go to the bother of blackmailing anyone to avoid one. 

Depends whether someone else wants to take over and MPs think they've got a better chance of staying or getting on the payroll by voting against Boris.

The "blackmail" stuff is from a couple of 37 year olds who have clearly never seen Yes Minister. 

"i see you're building a school in your constituency. The Prime minister is very supportive at the moment. I trust we can count on your support." 

Millenial "wah, blackmail, i'm telling the police" 

23 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

This headline 😂

Even we Germans think Boris Johnson is a spiffing winner... if anyone is entitled to a lengthy stay in Downing Street, it's him, writes ALEXANDER VON SCHOENBURG

I'm guessing that Alexander von Schoenburk is to Kier Starmer what Art Vandelay was to George Costanza. 

Otherwise known as the Count of Schönburg-Glauchau. His kids would be in line to the British throne through his wife Princess Irina of Hesse if they weren't Catholic. 

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60068612

Boris hasn't 'seen any evidence of blackmailing' :lol:

I note that is very different to 'I/my cabinet have not been blackmailing MPs'.

He might be fucked this time.

Also from the BBC:

Downing Street party: Who is Sue Gray and what is she investigating?

Ah, Johnson's Good Old Days when one party was all there was. All of SIX days ago.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

The "blackmail" stuff is from a couple of 37 year olds who have clearly never seen Yes Minister. 

"i see you're building a school in your constituency. The Prime minister is very supportive at the moment. I trust we can count on your support." 

Millenial "wah, blackmail, i'm telling the police" 

Spunk Wragg is 34!image.png.b68787d1ffad8bcbac9112483477075b.png

Edited by Detournement

This feasibility studies for daft ideas business sounds like a good earner.

The Department for Transport (DfT) said the research into the feasibility of a fixed link to Northern Ireland cost £896,681.

Network Rail chair Sir Peter Hendy led the investigation, which found that a bridge would cost £335 billion, while a tunnel would require a budget of around £209 billion.

His report concluded that the project “would be impossible to justify” as “the benefits could not possibly outweigh the costs”. In addition to the huge expense, the inquiry also noted that the necessary work would be incredibly challenging.

Johnson previously talked up the creation of a fixed link but accepted the conclusion of the report.