The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

1 hour ago, btb said:

Theresa May was a dead (wo)man walking for about two years after the 2017 GE and there was a lot of hokey-cokey with letters to the 1922 committee (including a red-face moment for JRM* when he thought they had the numbers to force a ballot but didn't) before she finally faced a vote which she won - it didn't save her for long though as she resigned after a coupla bad elections results about 6 months later.

The same JRM who reckons DRoss should be loyal to his party leader. :whistle

She resigned for specific, undeniable reasons though. She wanted to get a soft Brexit through and putting a time limit on her role as PM was the only way to do it. She said either back me or get Boris's Brexit which was an intelligent move but Sturgeon, Swindon and the Change UK idiots didn't play along.

Partygate will be forgotten about by the majority of voters as quickly as prorouging parliament and Barnard Castle were. 

56 minutes ago, Detournement said:

She resigned for specific, undeniable reasons though. She wanted to get a soft Brexit through and putting a time limit on her role as PM was the only way to do it. She said either back me or get Boris's Brexit which was an intelligent move but Sturgeon, Swindon and the Change UK idiots didn't play along.

Partygate will be forgotten about by the majority of voters as quickly as prorouging parliament and Barnard Castle were. 

Good. Unlike you, some of us in Scotland weren’t “glad” to have Brexit forced on us either by the union or the Tories. MPs for Scottish seats voting for any form of Brexit would have been a betrayal of their electorate.

4 hours ago, Detournement said:

If they are struggling to get 54 letters in during this media storm it seems unlikely he would lose the vote.

There is a lot of talk about Red Wall MPs but how many of them want Sunak who is a deficit hawk? Other than the likes of Jeremy Hunt or that evil Kearns most of them will be thinking better the devil you know and probably that if they need to they can empty Boris later this year and pin the problems with the economy on him as well.

The problems with the economy are going to go on for a lot longer than the end of this year, and there will be loads of casualties, not just in the red wall constituencies, with inevitable rising interest rates and the full Brexit consequences yet to kick in. To have any chance of winning the next election they need someone who looks minimally competent, serious and trustworthy to govern the downturn. Switching to a new boy with an election incoming would way too late.

I reckon Johnson is more egotistical than his recent predecessors.  He wanted the top job but never wanted to put in the effort.  That same egotism will be the driver in him not wanting to be forced out.

The problem he’s got is that however he leaves now be it through a “voluntary” resignation or losing a confidence vote the optics will be pretty much the same.

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I reckon Johnson is more egotistical than his recent predecessors.  He wanted the top job but never wanted to put in the effort.  That same egotism will be the driver in him not wanting to be forced out.

The problem he’s got is that however he leaves now be it through a “voluntary” resignation or losing a confidence vote the optics will be pretty much the same.

He might look at the scrapping of Covid restrictions in England in March as a chance to walk away saying "Brexit completed, Covid defeated!", all the Tory ministers I've seen have been boostering "his magnificent handling of the pandemic above the trivialty of that party" over the last few days.

If he can get Sue Grey to avoid directly censuring him there might be a short window where he can walk away "a winner" with most of the Tory party saying what a great PM he has been and onto the after dinner speaking circuit, book deals and a coupla lucrative company directorships.

15 minutes ago, btb said:

He might look at the scrapping of Covid restrictions in England in March as a chance to walk away saying "Brexit completed, Covid defeated!", all the Tory ministers I've seen have been boostering "his magnificent handling of the pandemic above the trivialty of that party" over the last few days.

If he can get Sue Grey to avoid directly censuring him there might be a short window where he can walk away "a winner" with most of the Tory party saying what a great PM he has been and onto the after dinner speaking circuit, book deals and a coupla lucrative company directorships.

You may be right.

I’d be happy to see Covid diminishing to the point where most/all restrictions could be lifted, even if it has the side effect of letting Johnson off the hook.

Brexit is a different issue.  It is far from done and Johnson’s successor is going to be dealing with all the negative affects for years to come.

Aye the moment you had that laughable parliament session where parliament agreed on no resolution to Brexit was the minute Boris’s majority was guaranteed.

If Sturgeon manoeuvres a Brexit disaster into independence then she’ll be vindicated for it otherwise there’s a load of people who’ve led us down to the worst possible resolution for no good reason.

2 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Now the senior back bencher William Wagg accusing bojo and co with blackmailing of mps to not put letters with threats to cut funding etc in there constituency areas 🤣

That alone is grounds for him to be removed.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You may be right.

I’d be happy to see Covid diminishing to the point where most/all restrictions could be lifted, even if it has the side effect of letting Johnson off the hook.

Brexit is a different issue.  It is far from done and Johnson’s successor is going to be dealing with all the negative affects for years to come.

All the more reason to walk away from the situation ASAP....

Peston reporting that Sue Gray has identified an email to sent the PM's PS saying that the "party" should not go ahead which is exactly what Cummings has claimed in the last day or so.

Incredible that folk will defend this charlatan. Get him fired into the sun ASAP.  

33 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Now the senior back bencher William Wagg accusing bojo and co with blackmailing of mps to not put letters with threats to cut funding etc in there constituency areas 🤣

Pork barrell politix - refreshingly oldskool move by Boris.

Funny how it always comes down to pigs with these Eton oldboys...🐖

Genuine criminality exposed by his own back bench. I'm sure the party whips have basically been doing the same thing for decades anyway to make sure people toe the line but interesting to see it bubble up so publicly.

Hope he stays as long as possible. The Tories are unelectable in this state even for the gammonate constituencies.

Now the senior back bencher William Wagg accusing bojo and co with blackmailing of mps to not put letters with threats to cut funding etc in there constituency areas [emoji1787]
This could be what sinks not only the fat fűckwit, but the actual government.
Sorry,I can't put a wee laughing emoji here. This is fucking treasonous behaviour.