The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

7 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Now seen an image of the DM front page. 

Who is going to be the PM after Boris is visited by the 'men in grey suits'? 

If the DM turns on him, his coat is on a shoogly, isn't it? 

They like to give the Tories' cage a good rattle every now and then, to remind them wha's in cherge and feign impartiality to the rest of us.

When it really matters - when there are votes at stake - there won't be a whisper of any of this.

13 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Now seen an image of the DM front page. 

Who is going to be the PM after Boris is visited by the 'men in grey suits'? 

If the DM turns on him, his coat is on a shoogly, isn't it? 

Some of the gammon right backbenchers have not been impressed by the tax and spend policies and are beginning to wonder if Boris is a bit too left for them.

A bit like Hitler thinking Mussolini was a bit too left granted but that is the feeling apparently.

The Patterson U turn shows you how sensitive the social media antennae are.

The Dorries vote was obviously planned weeks ago, the story hit the headlines yesterday afternoon and within 12 hours the feedback was so bad they hung him out to dry.

Blair style corruption, fine. Gideon Osborne style corruption, fine. DC style corruption, fine. Patterson naw. The British public has spoken.

REVEALED: Minister’s partner’s firm awarded lucrative Covid contracts

An investigation by Good Law Project can reveal that the partner of Michelle Donelan, the Minister of State for Universities, heads up the commercial unit at a PPE company that has been awarded numerous PPE contracts. Stronghold Global have landed deals to supply NHS hospitals, Government Covid testing sites and universities.

https://goodlawproject.org/news/michelle-donelan-partner-contracts/

Over £5.5bn of Covid support funds lost to fraud or error
HMRC says nearly 9% of furlough scheme was fraudulently claimed or otherwise wrongly paid out last year

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/04/over-55bn-of-covid-support-funds-lost-to-or-error?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1636059555

Surprise, surprise.

8 hours ago, Detournement said:

The Patterson U turn shows you how sensitive the social media antennae are.

The Dorries vote was obviously planned weeks ago, the story hit the headlines yesterday afternoon and within 12 hours the feedback was so bad they hung him out to dry.

Blair style corruption, fine. Gideon Osborne style corruption, fine. DC style corruption, fine. Patterson naw. The British public has spoken.

Yeah. To be fair though, this is your classic "politician openly trousers loads of money that people don't think he should get". It's the same as cash for questions, or even the expenses scandal and is easy to understand and get raging about. These ones never play well with the public.

18 hours ago, 101 said:

I'm sure we have all forgotten at one time or another that we own 520 acres of land.

Missed that with the round the clock coverage of some bloke's floating duck home on his pond. "Don't look there, look here!"

The sleaze allegations, and the clear evidence of impropriety is now starting to land. It will be interesting to see how much traction it has and whether the Govt and Johnson can ride it out.

Only a few years ago, just one of the current allegations or apparent Govt sleaze actions would have been enough but in today's post truth/largely Govt media compliant political age you need to see a succession of issues to resonate (and even then reluctantly) including Covid multi-million pound contract awards to party faithful; party friends financing decorations and holidays (undeclared) for favours or return of favours; donations for peerages; and cash for MP questions/MP lobbying...

To me all the above is standard Tory practices and they have the complete confidence to double down on this behaviour in recent years. Little blow-back following the covid contract awards, beyond the court battles of the Good Law Project, has given them carte blanche to milk as much for themselves and the party from the system as possible.

Add all this to their pursuit of Brexit solely to appease the party faithful and I would suggest that you would have difficulty in spotting a more self serving corrupt party in the history of democracy. It really is fuckin tragic. 

6 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

The sleaze allegations, and the clear evidence of impropriety is now starting to land. It will be interesting to see how much traction it has and whether the Govt and Johnson can ride it out.

Only a few years ago, just one of the current allegations or apparent Govt sleaze actions would have been enough but in today's post truth/largely Govt media compliant political age you need to see a succession of issues to resonate (and even then reluctantly) including Covid multi-million pound contract awards to party faithful; party friends financing decorations and holidays (undeclared) for favours or return of favours; donations for peerages; and cash for MP questions/MP lobbying...

To me all the above is standard Tory practices and they have the complete confidence to double down on this behaviour in recent years. Little blow-back following the covid contract awards, beyond the court battles of the Good Law Project, has given them carte blanche to milk as much for themselves and the party from the system as possible.

Add all this to their pursuit of Brexit solely to appease the party faithful and I would suggest that you would have difficulty in spotting a more self serving corrupt party in the history of democracy. It really is fuckin tragic. 

Spot on.

Con +4

I've always wanted to see the price list for the honours handed out. To be fair it's the same but on a smaller scale when Labour are in.

£3m seems a bit steep though. It would take a long time @ £300 a day to make that kind of money back.

Edited by Suspect Device

13 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I've always wanted to see the price list for the honours handed out. To be fair it's the same but on a smaller scale when Labour are in.

£3m seems a bit steep though. It would take a long time @ £300 a day to make that kind of money back.

Presumably the £3m comes with "access" and we've seen what that can bring when it comes to handing out contracts. 

6 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

The Govt will certainly ride it out thanks to their majority.

Not so sure about Johnson though, as so many in his party have now turned against him, and even most of their beloved right wing rags are going the same way. I'm pretty sure he'll stand down before the next election if he hasn't been kicked out by then.

My only worry with his likely demise, is what it might do for the Tory party in Scotland and the chances of damage to those parties in favour of Indyref2, and thus the potential for an independent Scotland anytime soon. 

3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The Govt will certainly ride it out thanks to their majority.

Not so sure about Johnson though, as so many in his party have now turned against him, and even most of their beloved right wing rags are going the same way. I'm pretty sure he'll stand down before the next election if he hasn't been kicked out by then.

My only worry with his likely demise, is what it might do for the Tory party in Scotland and the chances of damage to those parties in favour of Indyref2, and thus the potential for an independent Scotland anytime soon. 

Things seldom happen randomly in British politics, and I think we can view John Major's intervention as the opening salvo in a process of removing Johnson from office.  I expect further opinions to now be aired, as the more 'mainstream' elements of the Tory party try to wrest control from the Spartans of the right wing.  With COVID potentially receding, focus will turn to the unfolding disaster of Brexit and they will be looking to re-position themselves away from the Brexiteer image to cope with new realities.  Johnson's exit will be a prerequisite for that and I suspect the Men In Grey Suits are already scheduling it.