The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

6 hours ago, coprolite said:

Fucking hell. 

How much would be raised? Which part of the income and wealth distribution will be working past retirement age? 

Tax some of our poorest people more, for working longer? Great idea. 

My plan would involve higher taxes on unearned income and capital gains. I think the planned rise of the CT rate to 25% is a good start as well. Investors in companies benefit from the state providing the protection of limited liability. They should be and in my view are willing to pay a bit more than the current fuckall for that privilege. 

My wife and I are retiring at the end of the year.  We could take a joint income from our pensions and investments of over £50k without paying any form of tax.

Great news for us but not exactly fair on society.

12 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

No one gives a f**k what Boris does. They’ll still vote for him.

Yip. Working with an older lad from down south this week. He thinks Boris has done as good a job as possible in the circumstances. 

42 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Yip. Working with an older lad from down south this week. He thinks Boris has done as good a job as possible in the circumstances. 

I'd contend that a character such as Johnson would find it impossible to exist as a serious public figure in an independent Scotland. That he is, as things are presented to us, is unceasingly puzzling 

20 minutes ago, sophia said:

I'd contend that a character such as Johnson would find it impossible to exist as a serious public figure in an independent Scotland. That he is, as things are presented to us, is unceasingly puzzling 

I agree. One of the main reasons I want an indy Scotland is that I think politics will be done to a much higher standard. Joke figures wouldn't make it to the top job. 

35 minutes ago, sophia said:

John Swinney manages just fine.  He might be a trier but he has been an absolute joke whichever job he has had.

13 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

I agree. One of the main reasons I want an indy Scotland is that I think politics will be done to a much higher standard. Joke figures wouldn't make it to the top job. 

Cue the “WEE NIPPY SWEETIE KRANKY AND HER GOVANHILL FULLA IMMGRABTS SNP SEPERATIST SHEEP CULT 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧” posts.

44 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

What makes you think that? We've got loads of them at present. 

3 hours ago, strichener said:

John Swinney manages just fine.  He might be a trier but he has been an absolute joke whichever job he has had.

You really should get yourself elected.  I’m sure you’d do a far better job.

6 hours ago, strichener said:

Your whataboutery based reply completely misunderstands or wilfully ignores the easy to comprehend point I was making.

Given your track record on here, I know which my money is on.

Just to be clear though, I am not referring to so many dozens of generic politicians of marginally differing ability and popularity, rather a carefully constructed caricature based upon class and privilege with a whistle to the dogs. If that isn't staggering enough, there are the multiple dreaming spires of immortality that follow his every adult step.

I cannot begin to imagine such an embarrassing charlatan getting any traction in a modern northern European country.

Perhaps I'm being overly harsh and is there a constituency in Scotland that would return him?

Edited by sophia
"there is" changed to "is there" per original intent

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

My wife and I are retiring at the end of the year.  We could take a joint income from our pensions and investments of over £50k without paying any form of tax.

Great news for us but not exactly fair on society.

Find that hard to believe as your joint tax free allowances are approx. £25000. This means that the balance is taxable.

Hope you’re not imagining that your state pensions are tax free?

30 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Find that hard to believe as your joint tax free allowances are approx. £25000. This means that the balance is taxable.

Hope you’re not imagining that your state pensions are tax free?

What GD suggests is both legitimate and perfectly achievable.

In addition to individual allowances, any income from ISAs is non-taxable.

Edited by Barney Rubble

18 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Obviously, we are only guessing but their capital in ISA’s would need to be very high to achieve £25k per annum.

Good for GD. Capitalism has paid off.

21 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

There’s also a GCT allowance of £12,300 per person per annum that can be utilised.  It is easy to invest in funds that give small ‘dividends’ but have significant growth.  If you have, say £200k invested you can get £2k per annum tax free ‘dividends’ due to the investment allowance but then sell off a further £8k and still see the investment growth for the year.

26 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Obviously, we are only guessing but their capital in ISA’s would need to be very high to achieve £25k per annum.

Good for GD. Capitalism has paid off.

ISAs and their predecessors PEPS have been available for about 35 years now.

Anyone who invested wisely over that term with average levels of growth could quite easily achieve 25k per annum income - assuming they hadn't withdrawn capital prior to their retirement.

And as GD points out, there are other tax-free allowances available to legitimately protect wealth.

It's about having the financial discipline to plan long-term and save/invest according to your circumstances.

28 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

ISAs and their predecessors PEPS have been available for about 35 years now.

Anyone who invested wisely over that term with average levels of growth could quite easily achieve 25k per annum income - assuming they hadn't withdrawn capital prior to their retirement.

And as GD points out, there are other tax-free allowances available to legitimately protect wealth.

It's about having the financial discipline to plan long-term and save/invest according to your circumstances.

Absolutely.

what would you say is an average dividend return?

2 to 2.5% which would require about £1m capital.

As you say, you can sell some shares to increase revenue but you need to watch diminishing capital which in turn will reduce income.

However, anything over £25k by way of company pensions and state pensions and non-isa dividends will attract tax.

Thats probably enough discussing someone’s financial position.

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Absolutely.

what would you say is an average dividend return?

2 to 2.5% which would require about £1m capital.

As you say, you can sell some shares to increase revenue but you need to watch diminishing capital which in turn will reduce income.

However, anything over £25k by way of company pensions and state pensions and non-isa dividends will attract tax.

Thats probably enough discussing someone’s financial position.

To answer your question re average dividend return, 3.5 - 4% is the common metric applied by financial planners for an income portfolio.

For clarity, my contribution was intended to demonstrate that what GD alluded to is certainly possible, not to discuss his own personal circumstances.

True, this is off topic, so agree to leave it there.

23 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

To answer your question re average dividend return, 3.5 - 4% is the common metric applied by financial planners for an income portfolio.

For clarity, my contribution was intended to demonstrate that what GD alluded to is certainly possible, not to discuss his own personal circumstances.

True, this is off topic, so agree to leave it there.

The average annualised return for the S&P Index over the last 30 years is 8.3%.  That is adjusted for inflation.

I accept what you say about financial planners but they are obliged to err on the side of caution, particularly after the screw ups in years gone by.

I wasn’t aiming to talk about my personal circumstances, just making the point how much it is possible to ‘earn’ in retirement without contributing to the revenue.

14 hours ago, sophia said:

Your whataboutery based reply completely misunderstands or wilfully ignores the easy to comprehend point I was making.

Given your track record on here, I know which my money is on.

Just to be clear though, I am not referring to so many dozens of generic politicians of marginally differing ability and popularity, rather a carefully constructed caricature based upon class and privilege with a whistle to the dogs. If that isn't staggering enough, there are the multiple dreaming spires of immortality that follow his every adult step.

I cannot begin to imagine such an embarrassing charlatan getting any traction in a modern northern European country.

Perhaps I'm being overly harsh and is there a constituency in Scotland that would return him?

I don't think Scotland would elect exactly a Johnson style arsehole, but i think it's wishful thinking to believe that the Scottish electorate is less prone to poor judgement than the British /English electorate.  

I think that PR has been a big factor in keeping Scottish politics relatively sensible, not a superior moral character.