The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

16 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

It's encouraging that you are beginning to accept that new political parties will emerge under independence, even though you may not agree with their views.

Hopefully there's a lunatic "Rejoin the UK party" that you can vote for in the hope that thsy don't lose their deposit.

Would they be as “lunatic” as the “rejoin the EU” party?

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

And the cry from the red wall was "Please sir, can I have some more poverty?"

I made the mistake of looking at the comments on that tweet. Galaxy brains a'plenty all going "ayckshually its not a cut per se its just removing the temporary uplift".

didnt see anyone making any point to the effect of "er can we not just make it permanent if removing it is going to result in 730,000 children going into poverty" :( 

7 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

As if they cared.

This is an interesting take on a temporary measure introduced last year.  Have the Resolution Foundation found that the provision of this uplift in benefits pulled an equivalent number out of poverty?

You would assume that all the additional money being put into the economy for the low earners and those on benefits would have helped to raise some of then out of poverty.

7 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

Some people can't help being a c**t

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yup. An absolute piece of shite. 

The temporary uplift on UC has helped many folk who were binned out of work due to Covid, and let's not forget that income-related benefits have been effectively frozen since about 2015. 

The temporary uplift on UC has helped many folk who were binned out of work due to Covid, and let's not forget that income-related benefits have been effectively frozen since about 2015. 
Still.........being a c**t is so much fun

Just now, DublinMagyar said:
5 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Still.........being a c**t is so much fun

True. He might get a greenie from some loser like Glen Minter. Worth it. 

On 15/01/2021 at 17:09, Day of the Lords said:

I've had this conversation with my Dad (amended no2 as Labour are completely irrelevant in Scotland). It's pointless. He moans about his pension, but votes for the party that are responsible for it. Apparently he's been opposed to the SNP since he wrote to Andrew Welsh to complain about his pension and didn't get a reply. You can't reason with that sort of blinkered viewpoint. Mum just votes Tory because Dad does. He has at least since his illness softened a bit and seems to realise that BoJo is a fucking clown, and doesn't call the FM Herr Sturgeon now, so i suppose that's sort of progress. 

Herr Sturgeon? I follow her on Twitter, and am genuinely puzzled about the 'dictator' or 'power crazy' accusations thrown at her. What am I missing? 

1 minute ago, Day of the Lords said:

He reads the Daily Mail. 

There was a (thankfully short-lived) time when I'd start my day reading the Daily Mail, especially the comments. My reasoning was that the day could only improve if you started at the bottom. Little did I realise how low it was possible to sink. I've since gravitated to Piers on GMTV. 

8 hours ago, strichener said:

This is an interesting take on a temporary measure introduced last year.  Have the Resolution Foundation found that the provision of this uplift in benefits pulled an equivalent number out of poverty?

You would assume that all the additional money being put into the economy for the low earners and those on benefits would have helped to raise some of then out of poverty.

I watched a chap getting interviewed on Newsnight and he was saying that whereas before he was constantly playing catch up financially, the extra £20 pw had given him a little wiggle room that he previously didn't have. Our welfare provision is a disgrace for a country that takes pride in being the 6th richest economy in the world.

Edited by Baxter Parp

6 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

I watched a chap getting interviewed on Newsnight and he was saying that whereas before he was constantly playing catch up financially, the extra £20 pw had given him a little wiggle room that he didn't have. Our welfare provision is a disgrace for a country that takes pride in being the 6th richest economy in the world.

£20. Seriously?  Try and keep up. 6th richest economy doesn't mean the 6th most caring society. £20 is the price of a  big bottle of whisky, or a not so extravagant meal for two... The Tory philosophy is pretty simple. Don't be poor, or if you've lapsed .  .  .   Stop Being Poor. 

7 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

£20. Seriously?  Try and keep up. 6th richest economy doesn't mean the 6th most caring society. £20 is the price of a  big bottle of whisky, or a not so extravagant meal for two... The Tory philosophy is pretty simple. Don't be poor, or if you've lapsed .  .  .   Stop Being Poor. 

I know.  The general tone was "how on earth are we going to pay for this extravagance" which made me shout at the telly and frightened the cat.

6 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

I know.  The general tone was "how on earth are we going to pay for this extravagance" which made me shout at the telly and frightened the cat.

Shouting at the telly is generally good. Go for it, Let off steam, express yourself, avoid fighting with the family/neighbours etc.

Ok, my cats used to get frightened too, but they've somehow used their feline sixth sense to weigh up my body language while I'm watching the news and discretely remove themselves to another room. Nature's wonderful. 

8 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

I watched a chap getting interviewed on Newsnight and he was saying that whereas before he was constantly playing catch up financially, the extra £20 pw had given him a little wiggle room that he previously didn't have. Our welfare provision is a disgrace for a country that takes pride in being the 6th richest economy in the world.

The £20 is a start and I know that for those out of work that it does make a difference.  It is however the proverbial papering over the cracks.  Genuine benefit reform is required.  The top three that I think would make far more difference than £20 per week are:

1) Stop discriminating against the young  just because you are under 25 does not somehow make living expenses any less.  I understand that this may be the case when staying with parents but actual circumstances should be the basis of need not applying some random assumptions to everyone.

2) The LHA should be scrapped or revised to reflect societal norms.  The assumption that single people will live is "shared accommodation" is not the reality for most of the demographic.  The exemption for housing associations and Councils makes private renters considerably worse off.

3) The qualifying period for UC is an absolute joke.  That the government think that it is appropriate to make people wait for a period of time to access benefits is un-acceptable, even their own aims of making it more like those in work is a complete falacy as those in work actually get money for their lying time.  UC claimants aren't actually getting paid in arrears (which is what the government make out),  they are not receiving any benefits for the first 5 weeks and are required to take out loans to cover their expenses for this period.  It works against those that may be able to secure seasonal or temorary work as they can be removed from UC as soon as their earnings for a month exceed the threshold and then made to wait 5 weeks again.

If it were a toss up between the £20 and removing the above then I would, reluctantly, remove the £20 as these other elements would provide more benefit IMO.  Obviously the "temporary" extra £20 should be made permanent.