The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

The way that Bercow allowed de pfeffelllllll to deny the accusation of him lighting £50 notes in front of homeless people when he was a student, and emphasised that he had done so within the House at the despatch box, suggests that Bercow wanted to give him more rope.  If there is a God or equivalent out there, i hope someone somewhere can provide tangible proof of a photo to show this privileged bellend up for what he is.

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Boris just said the best way to honour Jo Cox was to get Brexit done....he is going full trump

And like Republicans with Trump, the Tories are abandoning logic and objectivity to support him even when it’s obvious that he’s wrong.

I’ve taken an interest in politics since the early 70s and I cannot remember being so disquieted by political polarisation in the UK.  I am not being melodramatic when I say there can be some dark days ahead.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Just had a wee look at the accounts of Hacker House UK, the company run by Boris Johnson’s “good friend” Jennifer Arcuri.

From July 2017 to July 2018 it went from being £36k in the red to £715k in the red!

Some going for a company in only its second year of trading and which was started with £1 of share capital.

Rangers would kill for that kind of prudence

12 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

The Thoughts of Joris Bonson.....from inaugural UN speech.

“In the future, voice connectivity will be in every room and almost every object: your mattress will monitor your nightmares; your fridge will beep for more cheese.”

“A future Alexa will pretend to take orders. But this Alexa will be watching you, clucking her tongue and stamping her foot.”

“You may keep secrets from your friends, from your parents, your children, your doctor – even your personal trainer – but it takes real effort to conceal your thoughts from Google.”

“AI – what will it mean? Helpful robots washing and caring for an ageing population? Or pink-eyed terminators sent back from the future to cull the human race?”

“What will synthetic biology stand for – restoring our livers and our eyes with miracle regeneration of the tissues, like some fantastic hangover cure? Or will it bring terrifying limbless chickens to our tables?”

“When Prometheus brought fire to mankind. In a tube of fennel, as you may remember, that Zeus punished him by chaining him to a Tartarean crag while his liver was pecked out by an eagle. And every time his liver regrew the eagle came back and pecked it again. And this went on forever – a bit like the experience of Brexit in the UK, if some of our parliamentarians had their way.”

That all seems fair enough to me. Although I prefer him challenging Corbyn to " C'moan then"! across the floor of the house.

Edited by Pet Jeden

Several weeks ago, not long after he’d taken office, I scribbled down a few thoughts on Boris Johnson. I didn’t post them at the time, as they were likely to succumb to instant obsolescence: even the most negative assessment of current political events invariably looks like incurable optimism a few days later. After watching his belligerent performance in Parliament last night (and that of his Attorney General earlier), I’m  lost for words, so I’ll post what I wrote then....

Watching Boris Johnson in action as PM is an utterly depressing experience. A hollow man promoted several orders of magnitude beyond the level of his own competence. Fuelled by a potent mix of entitlement, ambition, hubris and privilege, he resembles a joke candidate auditioning for a role patently unsuited to his meagre talents. If this was a reality TV show, we’d assume he was a fame-hungry stooge, drunk on self-delusion, set up by the producers for a fall.

Us Brits are addicted to schadenfreude: half the fun of rooting for the plucky underdog lies in the expectation of the inevitable crash and burn. But this isn’t the X Factor. This smirking fool, high on hubris and devoid of all talent, is actually our PM. The scary bit isn’t that this charlatan has been selected to appeal to our basest instincts; it’s that some people (the confederacy of dunces that comprise the Conservative membership) have actually voted for him, and the expectation is that many more will do so in a general election. Unfitness for office isn’t a drawback here, it’s a selling point. 

But as we stand on the edge of a precipice, BoJo doesn’t strike me as a talentless X Factor wannabe so much as something much more sinister. He is the personification of The Man Without Qualities. An amoral opportunist, he thrives in chaos. His lack of moral compass allows him to bend whichever way the wind is blowing. His racism isn’t for real - it’s an affectation designed to appeal to the xenophobes, a strategy considered a vote-winner by Cummings and the Vote Leave cabal that have taken the government hostage. 

Compared to Johnson, Trump looks like a conviction politician, a man with an investment in his own prejudices. Trump takes his venality seriously. Johnson wears it lightly, smirking as he spins his web of deceit. Populism as a postmodern conceit, perpetrated by Old Etonians purporting to be men of the people pitted against ‘the elite.’ The culling of the moderates within the Conservative Party, the dismantling of parliamentary democracy, the trashing of the Union, the wanton vandalism of the economy - all playing out as a prank, a wheeze, a joke. 

Who knows where it could go next? Unfettered by anything so cumbersome as principles, driven by greed, right-wing opportunists forging a faux alliance with the disaffected, united by a desire to watch Britain burn.”

Any lingering doubts that Boris (referring to him as ‘BoJo’ seems unsuitable now - it’s the epithet of a clown, but no-one’s laughing any more) is just some hapless schmuck have evaporated.

He’s a disgrace. He’s deranged, and he’s dangerous.

1 hour ago, Frankie S said:

Several weeks ago, not long after he’d taken office, I scribbled down a few thoughts on Boris Johnson. I didn’t post them at the time, as they were likely to succumb to instant obsolescence: even the most negative assessment of current political events invariably looks like incurable optimism a few days later. After watching his belligerent performance in Parliament last night (and that of his Attorney General earlier), I’m  lost for words, so I’ll post what I wrote then....

Watching Boris Johnson in action as PM is an utterly depressing experience. A hollow man promoted several orders of magnitude beyond the level of his own competence. Fuelled by a potent mix of entitlement, ambition, hubris and privilege, he resembles a joke candidate auditioning for a role patently unsuited to his meagre talents. If this was a reality TV show, we’d assume he was a fame-hungry stooge, drunk on self-delusion, set up by the producers for a fall.

Us Brits are addicted to schadenfreude: half the fun of rooting for the plucky underdog lies in the expectation of the inevitable crash and burn. But this isn’t the X Factor. This smirking fool, high on hubris and devoid of all talent, is actually our PM. The scary bit isn’t that this charlatan has been selected to appeal to our basest instincts; it’s that some people (the confederacy of dunces that comprise the Conservative membership) have actually voted for him, and the expectation is that many more will do so in a general election. Unfitness for office isn’t a drawback here, it’s a selling point. 

But as we stand on the edge of a precipice, BoJo doesn’t strike me as a talentless X Factor wannabe so much as something much more sinister. He is the personification of The Man Without Qualities. An amoral opportunist, he thrives in chaos. His lack of moral compass allows him to bend whichever way the wind is blowing. His racism isn’t for real - it’s an affectation designed to appeal to the xenophobes, a strategy considered a vote-winner by Cummings and the Vote Leave cabal that have taken the government hostage. 

Compared to Johnson, Trump looks like a conviction politician, a man with an investment in his own prejudices. Trump takes his venality seriously. Johnson wears it lightly, smirking as he spins his web of deceit. Populism as a postmodern conceit, perpetrated by Old Etonians purporting to be men of the people pitted against ‘the elite.’ The culling of the moderates within the Conservative Party, the dismantling of parliamentary democracy, the trashing of the Union, the wanton vandalism of the economy - all playing out as a prank, a wheeze, a joke. 

Who knows where it could go next? Unfettered by anything so cumbersome as principles, driven by greed, right-wing opportunists forging a faux alliance with the disaffected, united by a desire to watch Britain burn.”

Any lingering doubts that Boris (referring to him as ‘BoJo’ seems unsuitable now - it’s the epithet of a clown, but no-one’s laughing any more) is just some hapless schmuck have evaporated.

He’s a disgrace. He’s deranged, and he’s dangerous.

You need to consult a thesaurus for an alternative to 'hubris'.

‘Who knows where it could go next? Unfettered by anything so cumbersome as principles, driven by greed, right-wing opportunists forging a faux alliance with the disaffected, united by a desire to watch Britain burn.’

Good post Frankie.

I feel they are getting the ground prepared for a full scale right wing coup with the military on the streets to ‘keep order’

Some of the language being used by our PM is deliberately inflammatory. He had shown a contempt for the mainstays of our democracy, the Parliament, The Courts and has even managed to drag the Monarchy into the whole shambles. But he had no shame and somehow a large segment of the country still back him.

I think that they are engineering a situation where they are deliberately trying to alienate the country into two opposing camps (it is easier to control them that way) and would be happy to see trouble breaking out on the streets.

These are very dark times to be living through and we must all be ready to stand up for what we believe in.

3 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Who knows where it could go next? Unfettered by anything so cumbersome as principles, driven by greed, right-wing opportunists forging a faux alliance with the disaffected, united by a desire to watch Britain burn.

I feel they are getting the ground prepared for a full scale right wing coup with the military on the streets to ‘keep order’

Some of the language being used by our PM is deliberately inflammatory. He had shown a contempt for the mainstays of our democracy, the Parliament, The Courts and has even managed to drag the Monarchy into the whole shambles. But he had no shame and somehow a large segment of the country still back him.

I think that they are engineering a situation where they are deliberately trying to alienate the country into two opposing camps (it is easier to control them that way) and would be happy to see trouble breaking out on the streets.

These are very dark times to be living through and we must all be ready to stand up for what we believe in.

This.  de pfeffell has been getting tutorials from his new bff over the water on how to stir up the "patriot" right and to quell the nasty moderates and left with his trump-esque invective.

Fortunately, after last night's performance, his tenure will be brief - one way or another.

This.  de pfeffell has been getting tutorials from his new bff over the water on how to stir up the "patriot" right and to quell the nasty moderates and left with his trump-esque invective.
Fortunately, after last night's performance, his tenure will be brief - one way or another.

I would like to think he will not last long. However there seems to be a portion of society and the media who think ‘the sun shines out of his ###’ and he is their man to ‘get it done!’
I have seen people I know on FB down south saying we should be ‘on the streets’ after the Supreme Court decision.

I have seen people I know on FB down south saying we should be ‘on the streets’ after the Supreme Court decision.

It's only a matter of time, and when it does it'll be on a par with the Sevco fans' hilarious protest outside of BBC Scotland at Pacific Quay and Farage's woeful march.
My prediction is that Brexit will fall through amid threats of the mass violence that you'd see in other countries, only to result in mass tutting at worst with people threatening "never to vote again", only to be the first at the polling station at the next election. It's the modern British way.

just a though, what if they get an extension until 31st december

hold an election and boris wins?  can he change the law on no deal?

for all the comments on this forum, the tories are still the most popular party in the country, plus Brexit party they're well ahead.  

Edited by tirso

Johnson has now gone completely for broke, but if there is one thing that history tells us it is that the Tories are ruthless, utterly ruthless in getting rid of any leader who risks the electability of their party.  The Mussolini schtick might fire up the already-batshit tendency on his back benches and the Freddy Ffficks of Sowffffend but for every swivel-eyed loon he impresses he will alienate two more 'normal' voters.

When this situation starts to manifest itself in poll ratings, coupled to a total implosion of his Brexit strategy, the fabled Men In Grey Suits won't hang about; I reckon we're only about 2-3 weeks away.

5 minutes ago, tirso said:

just a though, what if they get an extension until 31st december

hold an election and boris wins?  can he change the law on no deal?

for all the comments on this forum, the tories are still the most popular party in the country, plus Brexit party they're well ahead.  

The polls are all over the place but if they get an overall majority they could change any law they want. That's why the ideal for remainers and maybe soft brexiteers would be a caretaker unity government taking over and holding a referendum before a General Election. That would mean getting a 6 month extension from the EU unless the Electoral Commission can speed up their act a bit. 

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The polls are all over the place but if they get an overall majority they could change any law they want. That's why the ideal for remainers and maybe soft brexiteers would be a caretaker unity government taking over and holding a referendum before a General Election. That would mean getting a 6 month extension from the EU unless the Electoral Commission can speed up their act a bit. 

whatever way it goes I think there has to be a government with a majority.  The Opposition can't let this government stay in post any longer.  They need to get a national government together or call an election.  I'm not impressed with either side.

Now is the first time I've considered another referendum is needed.  I think it's terrible precedent they haven't managed to compromise to get Brexit done.  I don't agree with it but it's got to the point now that the government is deadlocked and a national government is only there for one issue.  

At the end of the day, if remain win a second referendum narrowly; the Tories/Brexit party may win the following election and propose another vote!

I basically believe Scottish independence will now never happen.  The precedents here will be used against any narrow Yes vote.  And I don't see Yes winning anything but narrowly.  

Edited by tirso

19 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Johnson has now gone completely for broke, but if there is one thing that history tells us it is that the Tories are ruthless, utterly ruthless in getting rid of any leader who risks the electability of their party.  Not sure about 'electability' aspect as they are now directly appealing to the most narrow-minded, xenophobic bottom feeders in their caucus who are lapping up the aggression like mothers milk and social media is turbo-charging the effect. If they think that the Johnson/Cummings double act are starting to soft-pedal at any point, that's when 'electability' might raise it's head, especially if The Daily Heil / Express / Sun start to question the strategy.  Until then we can expect BJ to go full-on Trump mentalist as he's already burned too many bridges with the SC and Parliament, as you say 'he's gone for broke'.

The Mussolini schtick might fire up the already-batshit tendency on his back benches and the Freddy Ffficks of Sowffffend but for every swivel-eyed loon he impresses he will alienate two more 'normal' voters. I would love to believe you are on the money but we are in totally uncharted waters.  I suspect there will be folk on the streets as previously mentioned.  

When this situation starts to manifest itself in poll ratings, coupled to a total implosion of his Brexit strategy, the fabled Men In Grey Suits won't hang about; I reckon we're only about 2-3 weeks away.  Let's hope so.  😬