The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Michie was from London I think, not Scottish as far as I can see.

I wonder what was suppose to be satirical about it? It’s neither funny, parody, or even having a laugh at supposed characteristics, it’s simply a racist rant trying to excuse itself by claiming to be satirical.

Couldn't agree more. 

Johnson has a Little Englander mentality in addition to his puerile sense of humour.

Add in his explosive temper ands combative approach to political opponents. 

The result could be a nuclear meltdown.

"Whooooooooooosssshhhhh!"
Satire.
It "offends" some people.
Including, somewhat worryingly, a massively disproportionate number of Scots.
It goes completely over the heads of some people.
If I were English (which I'm not) and if I believed that Enlightenment values are an essential keystone of any healthy society (which I do), I'd want the inhabitants of what used to be a Western, Enlightenment country - but which has now become obsessed with outlawing "offensive" singing, prosecuting "nazi" dugs and a delusional nationalism bent on representing the Act of Union (possibly the most generous Act granted by a major power to an impoverished and traditionally hostile sovereign state in the history of Europe) as a repressive and imperialist subjugation of a nation - placed under lock & key on a permanent basis. I'd certainly edge towards believing that Hadrian and Longshanks were on the right lines. Sealing-off Scotland and repatriating all Scots to the S.N.P. utopia, funded by oil-wealth, tourist dollars... ehhh.... fishing?.... ehhh... maybe some traditional mercenary activity, that sort of thing, could be seen as a sound policy - for both Scotland and the U.K.    
England's going down the same treacherously slippery path of outlawing heretical, blasphemous and seditious opinions that the threaten the current unthinking orthodoxy, but Scotland's descending it like Franz Klammer going down the Hahnenkamm. 
Anyone believing in Enlightenment values will justifiably have hugely negative opinions of Scotland. As with all negative opinions of all cultural, ideological, sociological, theological or political values, the negative opinions of groups espousing values are based on something approaching a thinking analysis and subsequent rejection of those values, not on some "gut-reaction hatred" (inevitably categorised as an "ism" or "phobia" by our orthodox "right-minded" overlords) unthinkingly founded on meaningless trivialities. Appallingly, "ists" and "phobes" are not Nasty Evil People Not At All Like Us, whose brains don't work. They have cognitive processes identical to our own... even if they're Scottish. 

IMG_2576.jpg

45 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Bojo is going around promising all sorts, I reckon he will be building the bridge to "Mrs Bunfieldland" when he visits the weege on Monday

HS2 will be cancelled - the costs are spiralling upwards and it's already under review. Javid's top adviser is Matthew Elliott, founder of the Taxpayer's Alliance. He  bitterly opposed HS2 when Cameron and Osborne proposed it. 

Johnson will spend the money on his own vanity projects instead. Remember the crazy "Boris Island" airport in Thames Estuary in Kent? That white elephant could be top of his list. ETA - It's surprising that the media are not talking about this.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

12 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

😂

Shouldnt he be lying down so the bulldozers cant start the 3rd runway at heathrow first

Start the 3rd runway?

IIRC "Boris Island" was a replacement for Heathrow and Gatwick, possibly Stansted too.

So need for HS2 to connect Heathrow to Brum.

6 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

The bits north of Birmingham may well be cancelled but the first phase won't be. HS2 was always about making it easier to commute to London and building HS2 to Brum will achieve that.

Really? The economic case, even for Brum, is very flawed. Even the first phase will now cost tens of £billions. Elliott will advise Javid to kill it off.

Just now, Bishop Briggs said:

Start the 3rd runway?

IIRC "Boris Island" was a replacement for Heathrow and Gatwick, possibly Stansted too.

So need for HS2 to connect Heathrow to Brum.

Really? The economic case, even for Brum, is very flawed. Even the first phase will now cost tens of £billions. Elliott will advise Javid to kill it off.

They won't. Don't forget that they've already spent billions on prep work and compulsory purchases. 

The controversial journalist Andrew Gilligan is Boris's transport adviser. Read his views on HS2 on his blog - https://andrewgilliganblog.wordpress.com/tag/hs2/

"HS2 could, in fact, substantially damage existing plans for the regeneration of Birmingham’s Eastside. The centrepiece of the scheme, a new £123 million university campus on which £30 million has already been spent, was scrapped after the Government said that HS2 needed the site. A new scheme, for a campus only just over half the size, has now been drawn up – and the university is still waiting for its £30 million back. The new, shrunken campus is to go on a site planned for a new “vertical theme park” – which has in turn also been scrapped.

"Inflated, too, has been the Government’s claim of the journey time saving of high-speed rail. The figure they quote for the fastest time on the existing line – 1 hour and 24 minutes – is wrong. The fastest train at present does it in 1 hour 12 minutes, so the saving is 23 minutes, not 35 – and even less once you factor in that HS2’s Brum terminus is further away from the city centre than New Street, the existing stop.

"It simply won’t do for the Transport Secretary, Philip Hammond, to go on claiming that all HS2’s opponents are “Nimbies.” The fact is that the case for HS2 is in deep intellectual trouble."

Edited by Bishop Briggs

HS2 was always about capacity rather than travel time, faster trains mean more of them, and greater capacity. But it's much more expensive to build a 400 kph line which has to be straight as an arrow than just an extra 200 kph wiggly track. I wouldn't bet against it being cancelled, or at least downgraded.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

HS2 was always about capacity rather than travel time, faster trains mean more of them, and greater capacity. But it's much more expensive to build a 400 kph line which has to be straight as an arrow than just an extra 200 kph wiggly track. I wouldn't bet against it being cancelled, or at least downgraded.

But there's no hard evidence that the HS2 capacity is needed.

My views are similar to those of the Campaign for Better Transport - increase capacity in other ways on lines to/from London..

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't think HS2 is that bad an idea tbh though if I had a bajillion quid to spend on railways I would've spent it on making the whole network wide gauge instead. European mainland trains are braw for that.

If you're going to sell a mega billions infrastructure project to the UK you don't make it between London and Birmingham just after Crossrail 1+2. Even if it's a 50/100 year plan you make a nice shiny video of trains bombing about between Inverness and Aberdeen, Lowestoft to Liverpool. If you can't even pretend you're planning for the whole country people just think you're taking taking them for granted.

8 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Johnson doesn't want to save money, he wants to spend it, especially on infrastructure/vanity projects. And don't forget that rail ticks a lot of green boxes.

Hence the promise to invest in north England's railways - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49132477.

Difficult to afford that and HS2 so cancel the latter.

7 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

But there's no hard evidence that the HS2 capacity is needed.

HS2 isn't just about current issues. It's about future-proofing for the next 50-100 years.

5 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Hence the promise to invest in north England's railways - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49132477.

Difficult to afford that and HS2 so cancel the latter.

Easy to afford both, especially if you have a mythical £39bn to wave about. Also they will feed into each other so doing both makes most sense.

Edited by Tibbermoresaint
Punctuation

2 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

HS2 isn't just about current issues. It's about future-proofing for the next 50-100 years.

Easy to afford both, especially if you have a mythical £39bn to wave about. Also they will feed into each other so doing both makes most sense.

HS2 - £56 billion and rising

Johnson's proposals, including HS3 - £39 billion.

Then there's the next stages of Crossrail.

Easy to afford with Government borrowing of over £1.5 trillion?

Was speaking to a mate after the County game today who told me "Boris was an intellectual who won't talk any crap and get things done".

I honestly shudder when I wonder how people interpret things sometimes.