Indyref2 -alternative

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I think most of the feeling to get independence is due to the imbalance to the south east. Just because we probably could make it on our own doesn’t mean we should. Creating more trade barriers and unknowns is exactly what we don’t need at the moment. I would be astonished if we went for another referendum within two years.

Independence will reduce trade barriers and unknowns.

3 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Independence will reduce trade barriers and unknowns.

With our biggest trading partner aye? So we would get to trade outside the EU freely and inside the EU freely?

England would use us as a backdoor and it wouldn’t be allowed imo. Is this not what the Ireland argument is about currently?

Edited by D.A.F.C

1 minute ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

With the biggest economic bloc on the planet. And with all with whom it has trade agreements.

And block off trading with our biggest trading partner and only land border?

Smart thinking m9

It’s our biggest trading partner. Conversely I could say let’s have some ambition and open trade deals with China, India and America. Which is what Brexit could bring.

I can’t see any way we would be allowed to leave the UK and join the EU and not be worse off for at least a few years. Shutting off trade links with the UK is completely stupid.

5 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

It’s our biggest trading partner. Conversely I could say let’s have some ambition and open trade deals with China, India and America. Which is what Brexit could bring.

I can’t see any way we would be allowed to leave the UK and join the EU and not be worse off for at least a few years. Shutting off trade links with the UK is completely stupid.

Shutting off trade links with the UK 😂

Why would the rUK do anything to jeopardise trade with its second-largest export market?

7 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Do you honestly think the UK can manage any more than a couple of years without some form if trade deal with the EU?

And as Scotland will be part of the EU by that time (even on pessimistic estimates), rUK would have to trade with us on the same basis as with the rest of the EU.

Is DAFC seriously suggesting that rUK will refuse to trade with the EU?

Edited by lichtgilphead

1 minute ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Shutting off trade links with the UK 😂

Why would the rUK do anything to jeopardise trade with its second-largest export market?

If Brexit has taught us anything it's that the Tory government have little regard for simple economics.

1 minute ago, lichtgilphead said:

And as Scotland will be part of the EU by that time (even on pessamistic estimates), rUK would have to trade with us on the same basis as with the rest of the EU.

Is DAFC seriously suggesting that rUK will refuse to trade with the EU?

And as EU members we'll have a very big say in the terms of any EU-RUK trade agreement.

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

If Brexit has taught us anything it's that the Tory government have little regard for simple economics.

True.

There is route that doesn't involve waiting too long - so long as the Greens are on board.   

Vote for a Section 40 order.

The Buffoon rejects it.

Sturgeon resigns as First Minister.

If after 28 days no successor is elected then the Presiding Officer would ask for Parliament to be dissolved under s3(1)a.

SNP and Greens campaign on an IndyRef2 manifesto - I genuinely believe they could get a majority, especially if Farage's mob split the Unionist vote in the Constituencies.

What's a section 40 order? Had a google but nothing obvious came up?

2 hours ago, Stinky Bone said:

In reply to your post, I must admit that I haven't got a clue.  Like someone mentioned, it would be wise to seek clarity in courts about where Scotland stands in the union legally, whether it is an equal partner and we can choose to leave the union if we decide to of our own sovereign right, or whether we are a colony, which I suspect we are. 

If we are an equal partner, as it is claimed, then it must surely mean that we can hold as many referendums, elections or any other democratic business as and when we choose to, regardless of westminster. 

If we are a colony, which we appear to be, then we have to continue seeking permissions.  Which is unfair if we are supposed to be a union of equals.  

Others have also asked the question if England would need a section 30 order to leave the UK.  Would Wales and Northern Ireland require the same?  

Wales would need a section 30, same as Scotland.

Northern Ireland is different as the exact terms of a border poll are legally binding in the Good Friday agreement. If a Stormont election returned a majority of Nationalist MLA's then twin referendums in NI and ROI would automatically be triggered, and if both votes showed a majority support for reunification then a united Ireland would happen.

England doesn't have a parliament to devolve power to so by definition a section 30 order is not possible (A section 30 order just means a temporary devolution of a power that is normally reserved to Westminster)

The only way for England to hold a referendum would be for the Westminster government to pass a bill through the house of commons mandating one. Interestingly, as the power to call constitutional referendums is reserved to WM, they could in theory vote for Scotland to hold an independence vote and bypass Holyrood altogether as an alternative to a section 30. This would be one way for the UK government to allow a referendum, but on their own terms.

Can we join the EU
what currency will we use
what magical funds will appear if we go independent 
how long will it take
will the value of savings go down 
borders, economic and real

just for starters
How many other countries rely on "magical funds" ?
How long will it take ? Really ? Which side has to gaze into their crystal ball and answer this question for you ?

On 29/07/2019 at 20:19, D.A.F.C said:

Can we join the EU

YES

what currency will we use

Whatever currency we damn well want. Just one of the many privledges of running our own economy.

what magical funds will appear if we go independent

We don't want "magical funds" or "magic money trees". They create deficit.

how long will it take

As long as it takes to get the best possible negotiation terms.

will the value of savings go down

The value of your savings has been plummeting non-stop for the past 5 years.

borders, economic and real

27 borders vs 1 border. Free stovies for all. I prefer Barcelona myself.

Edited by BawWatchin

Having unachievable "red lines" is something I somehow doubt is the path that would be followed by a Scottish Govt. in the event of a successful independence vote.

It's all really easy to leave as Brexit has proved.

It's all really easy to leave as Brexit has proved.

How many countries have successfully become independent from the UK? Dozens. How many of them have the UK stopped trading with? None. Why do you think Scotland is uniquely incapable of both? No other country has extricated themselves from the EU in the manner the UK are attempting. There's a huge difference. Lying and making false comparisons is all Brit Nats like yourself have left.