Lowland league Attendances 2019/20

Burnieclub78

End of December probably a bad time for LL and EOSL to see these figures released: with the derby program the next 2 weekends during the Premiership winter break the figures should jump somewhat.

Anyway here is an extract from a listing for the whole Scottish league system, showing clubs under 1,000 and over 50. I've highlighted LL clubs in red. Very encouraging for Bonnyrigg and Kelty - they stand above 6 and 5 SPFL clubs respectively. Less encouragingly 3 sides still under 100.

948     Clyde

920     East Fife

795     Cove

719     Peterhead

705     Dumbarton

672     Montrose

662     Forfar

625     Elgin

580     Stirling Albion

533     Queen’s Park

514     Stenhousemuir

463     Bonnyrigg

400     Formartine*

399     Brechin

394     Kelty

381     Inverurie

373     Cowdenbeath

371     Annan

352     Linlithgow

349     Stranraer

348     Wick

345     Edinburgh City

344     Fraserburgh

334     Berwick

328     Forres*

317     Bo’ness

292     Tranent

288     Musselburgh

284     Albion Rovers

270     Buckie*

267     Fort William*

237     Nairn

232     Penicuik

225     Turriff*

220     Huntly

219     Broxburn

206     Hill of Beath

205     East Stirlingshire

197     Deveronvale*

193     Camelon

191     Dunbar

190     Dundonald

185     Lossiemouth

180     East Kilbride

176     Newtongrange

175     Clachnacuddin*

171     Spartans

170     Brora*

154     Rothes

151     Cumbernauld

150     Strathspey*

149     Crossgates

144     Gala

136     Civil Service Strollers

135     Sauchie

133     Keith*

132     Threave

128     Jeanfield

122     Dalbeattie

121     Blackburn

120     Gretna

119     Edinburgh Uni

111     Glenrothes

110     Whitehill*

104     BSCG

96     Haddington

92     St Andrews

89     Caledonian Braves

89     Tweedmouth

88     Coldstream

86     Vale of Leithen

84     Newton Stewart

83     Dalkeith

75     Inverkeithing

72     Oakley

71     Arniston

70     Uni of Stirling

69     Lochmaben

66     Burntisland

65     Dunipace

63     Leith

63     Nithsdale

63     Stranraer SOS*

60     Tynecastle

59     Abbey Vale

59     Creetown

59     Easthouses

59     St Cuthbert

58     Mid Annandale

58     Peebles

57     Hawick

56     Preston*

54     LTHV

53     Kinnoull

50     Upper Annandale

16 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

End of December probably a bad time for LL and EOSL to see these figures released: with the derby program the next 2 weekends during the Premiership winter break the figures should jump somewhat.

It's quite positive considering it's only considering half the season. Still plenty of big games, title & relegation deciders to go. Not sure if there's any involvement in the GroundHop?

Other than the obvious Berwick drop from the SPFL, everyone should see an increase by the end of the year.

Just checked East Kilbride since they were the next highest loss and notice they've already played Berwick, Kelty and Bonnyrigg at home. So maybe they could end at a loss, but a poor season should take the blame for that. Last year's champions to a mid table side.

6 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's quite positive considering it's only considering half the season. Still plenty of big games, title & relegation deciders to go. Not sure if there's any involvement in the GroundHop?

Bonnyrigg v Berwick... Saturday at 2pm

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

484 - SPFL League Two
263* - West Region Premiership
206 - EoS Premier Division
181 - Lowland League

* The West Region Premiership stats are largely incomplete compared to the other leagues.

Unfortunately the North Caledonian and Junior stats are so incomplete as to render them almost useless... Pollok, Largs plus Rossvale are the only clubs in all those leagues and divisions which appear to have returns for most or all of their games. Out of 140+ clubs there are only 10 with returns for more than 4 games; there are 23 clubs which don't have a singe return and most only have a few. In contrast only 6 clubs in SPFL/LL/EOSL/SOSL seem to have missing returns (fewer than 7 games), and of those only Whitehill play outwith the bottom level. Where the chap only has a few returns it's possible they only came from bigger games which would noticeably skew averages.

For example I was interested to see what crowds were like in North Juniors... but on average there are only 1.5 returns per club for Superleague, 1 per club for D1 North and 2 per club for D1 South (and those include some cup-ties) - with 7 of 32 clubs having no returns whatsoever - so cannot conclude anything.

It's not been embraced fully for HL either: about half seem to have full returns, some fewer than 7 games - but a few hardly any.

All those which seem to have missing returns are asterixed in my listing.

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Unfortunately the North Caledonian and Junior stats are so incomplete as to render them almost useless... Pollok, Largs plus Rossvale are the only clubs in all those leagues and divisions which appear to have returns for most or all of their games. Out of 140+ clubs there are only 10 with returns for more than 4 games; there are 23 clubs which don't have a singe return and most only have a few. In contrast only 6 clubs in SPFL/LL/EOSL/SOSL seem to have missing returns (fewer than 7 games), and of those only Whitehill play outwith the bottom level. Where the chap only has a few returns it's possible they only came from bigger games which would noticeably skew averages.

For example I was interested to see what crowds were like in North Juniors... but on average there are only 1.5 returns per club for Superleague, 1 per club for D1 North and 2 per club for D1 South (and those include some cup-ties) - with 7 of 32 clubs having no returns whatsoever - so cannot conclude anything.

It's not been embraced fully for HL either: about half seem to have full returns, some fewer than 7 games - but a few hardly any.

All those which seem to have missing returns are asterixed in my listing.

The North Caledonian and West, East and North Juniors I only started collating over last couple months.  For the 3 junior regions I am probably getting around 60/65% of games. I get quite a few after I put out weekly att / headcounts. This is a promising start but agree it could be better. I rely a lot on supporters headcounts from Juniors, more than I do in lowland,   EOS & SOS. Quite a few clubs are now getting behind it but a lot of work still required.  Regarding Highland league that's probably around the same in %, it's been a tough nut to crack but I'll keep working on them and Juniors.  

The figures I have for Pollok and Largs are almost all games but this is due to both recording headcounts. 

I believe we will only build a proper picture from all leagues and regions over a few years. I do believe the stats for all, even if only part complete are useful information for clubs and leagues to use. I'm still hopeful that in time I can get all on board. 

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Unfortunately the North Caledonian and Junior stats are so incomplete as to render them almost useless...

The main reason for looking at it is because a consider to be a high water mark due to the incomplete nature so far. For those clubs that have few attendances its probably coming from away supports doing a head count. Which means its probably coming from one of the well supported teams, who perhaps are rounding up to give a good impression of their level of support.

2 hours ago, gogsy said:

Last years Lowland league average (Excluding Selkirk)was 131?  170>181 isn't comparing Lowland league average season to season  just the averages of teams currently in Lowland league season to season.:unsure2:

I'm just comparing the teams league attendances from last season to upto December 2019 this season.

16 hours ago, Dead said:

Shire v University of Stirling today 167

You can add at least another 4 to that, which hasn't been recorded yet, as I took money at the famous lift! There were quite a number of others, who came downstairs from the Westfield Bar, that I have no idea if they paid or not. They have no reason to go through the gate as they would have to come back out again to get to the bar then simply walk down stairs from there into the stand. We need some kind of ticketing system. There's another lift you can come in by too! 

4 hours ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

You can add at least another 4 to that, which hasn't been recorded yet, as I took money at the famous lift! There were quite a number of others, who came downstairs from the Westfield Bar, that I have no idea if they paid or not. They have no reason to go through the gate as they would have to come back out again to get to the bar then simply walk down stairs from there into the stand. We need some kind of ticketing system. There's another lift you can come in by too! 

Will check with Mr F