Firewall / AV recommendations

Ive been using webroot for a few years but its just caused an issue with Mr X jnrs PC (which cost me £45 just to get it uninstalled :rolleyes: ) after a windows update. Its also subscription based so costs me money.

Its been a while since I looked for alternatives, so does anyone have any recommendations for firewall and AV software, preferably free?

Windows Defender is actually surprisingly good now-a-days although I still wouldn't use it as my only line of defence against the dark arts. I use Avast (free version is fine) and run a Malwarebytes scan once a month to ensure nothing has gotten past either windows defender or Avast.

Windows Defender is actually surprisingly good now-a-days although I still wouldn't use it as my only line of defence against the dark arts. I use Avast (free version is fine) and run a Malwarebytes scan once a month to ensure nothing has gotten past either windows defender or Avast.
Cheers. I've used avast in the past and it looks like its still really good. Think I'll switch to that and Defender

On 26/07/2019 at 13:34, Mr X said:

Avast seems ok so far. I like the fact that it has a "silent" mode so I dont get popups and notifications every two seconds.

It's great I can't fault it. As I've used it for years now I'm not sure if the same features are on what you previously used although the browser protection and outdated apps really helps me keep apps that sometimes I don't use daily up to date and secure.

I also like the fact it has 'Game mode' that temporarily while you're playing games will improve the performance of said game. I see a lot of gamers actually disabling AV software when playing which just isn't right.

Silent mode is fantastic - I remember the days you'd be aiming down site on battlefield then you'd get booted to windows desktop with a notification telling you everything is safe :)

I was always under the impression you shouldn't have 2 A/V things on the go at the same time. I turned off defender a while back and went with a free one then I got rid of that and just went back to defender. Never had any issues.

Stick with Defender. If you are paranoid run MalwareBytes once a month.
In Windows set your User Account Controls to maximum. Anything less is pointless.
Periodically make sure Windows Update is working to keep your system up to date.
I hate UAC, it's the first thing that gets switched off!

Windows updates is what caused the issue in the first place, it stopped my old av from working.

I was always under the impression you shouldn't have 2 A/V things on the go at the same time. I turned off defender a while back and went with a free one then I got rid of that and just went back to defender. Never had any issues.
That's true but different apps do different things. It's fine to have a firewall and av together, for instance. They used to always be very separate apps but often come bundled into one now.

I'm not actually sure exactly what Defender does, is it just a fire?

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

I hate UAC, it's the first thing that gets switched off!

Windows updates is what caused the issue in the first place, it stopped my old av from working.

If your AV didn't work with the latest version of Windows it was shite.

3rd party AV is more trouble than its worth. They do some really shady stuff to get their products to work. Better just letting Microsoft handle everything.

Set your UAC to full. Having to click a box once in a while is a small inconvenience for having a last line of resort that actually works to stop malicious programs from installing.

If your AV didn't work with the latest version of Windows it was shite.
3rd party AV is more trouble than its worth. They do some really shady stuff to get their products to work. Better just letting Microsoft handle everything.
Set your UAC to full. Having to click a box once in a while is a small inconvenience for having a last line of resort that actually works to stop malicious programs from installing.

Yeah, an os update breaking a program that had previously worked fine for years is definitely the programs fault [emoji849]

I don't trust Microsoft enough to let them handle everything or be my last line of defence... nobody should

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

Yeah, an os update breaking a program that had previously worked fine for years is definitely the programs fault emoji849.png

I don't trust Microsoft enough to let them handle everything or be my last line of defence... nobody should

If you don't trust Microsoft then you should switch to Linux or buy a Mac.

Here are some experts telling you AV is trash, stick to Defender.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/01/antivirus-is-bad/

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

If you don't trust Microsoft then you should switch to Linux or buy a Mac.

Macs are even worse and little of what I need, and want, to use runs on Linux. I dont have any issue using Windows, but that doesnt mean I have to completely trust everything to Microsoft. 

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Here are some experts telling you AV is trash, stick to Defender.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/01/antivirus-is-bad/

By "expert" you mean an ex Mozilla developer who had to work around AV? :lol:

• 1 year later...

I've just bought a lenovo laptop and so the anti virus question has crossed my mind.

My old laptop had a free one installed for a year and then i just forgot /couldn't be bothered updating it. I don't know whether the windows defender thing was protecting me or not.

I spoke to a pal of mine today who teaches computing and he pays for macafee every year (a new version every year rather than the expensive updates) - and that allows him to protect multiple devices including phones.

Is the consensus on here that he's doing more than is needed? Should i get anti virus for my phone? Or not bother and just rely on the windows defender that presumably came with the new laptop?

I'd also like to keep my old laptop for football manager but do i need to protect it? It needs to connect to the Internet to run the game so am i vulnerable? There are regular pop ups on the old machine shouting at me to get some protection.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I've just bought a lenovo laptop and so the anti virus question has crossed my mind.

My old laptop had a free one installed for a year and then i just forgot /couldn't be bothered updating it. I don't know whether the windows defender thing was protecting me or not.

I spoke to a pal of mine today who teaches computing and he pays for macafee every year (a new version every year rather than the expensive updates) - and that allows him to protect multiple devices including phones.

Is the consensus on here that he's doing more than is needed? Should i get anti virus for my phone? Or not bother and just rely on the windows defender that presumably came with the new laptop?

I'd also like to keep my old laptop for football manager but do i need to protect it? It needs to connect to the Internet to run the game so am i vulnerable? There are regular pop ups on the old machine shouting at me to get some protection.

I'm not a fan of microsoft for various reasons but microsoft defender is perfectly fine as an AV & isn't as bloated or resource heavy as the mcafee's & norton's of the world.

10 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:
11 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I'm not a fan of microsoft for various reasons but microsoft defender is perfectly fine as an AV & isn't as bloated or resource heavy as the mcafee's & norton's of the world.

A year on and I agree with this. Defender is fine, particularly for normal day to day use. I certainly wouldnt touch McAfee!