Derangement Syndrome

ICTChris

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Anyone read this? It's probably the best analysis of the FBPE Jolyon mob I've read so far.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/13/brexit-remain-radicalisation-fbpe-peoples-vote

Aye I put in the Brexit thread. Joly's 28 day festival in Maidenhead could have been legendary.

Andrew Adonis is a complete prat.

As someone who isn't on Twitter, I struggle to understand what twitter users are talking about when they think they're talking about politics. 

By way of an example, the explanation of FBPE given a few pages ago meant nothing to me. I have no clue who Francis Barber may be, nor Dan Hodges. I would have assumed a "Galaxy Brain" is a good thing, as it implies a large and powerful intellect, but apparently not. 

The character limit obviously leads to simple ideas being selected for and encourages shorthand references. 

The format also attracts lazy people and imbeciles that are put off by the number of words in longer form media. 

A lot of public political discourse emanates from Twitter, in terms that are both over simplified and often difficult for people without knowledge of the in jokes to engage with but easy for tribal fuckwits to engage with. 

Obviously, it's a tool and can be put to good use in the right hands, but Twitter facilitates a large amount of hysteria. 

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

It's an extremely efficient filter on who to pay attention to. A lot of journalists on twitter in particular have accelerated the decline of dead tree press just by letting us see what they're really like.

I don't think that has caused the decline of people reading newspapers but you are absolutely right that Twitter gives a window into what these people are like and quite a few of them are genuinely awful people.