Derangement Syndrome

ICTChris

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Frances Barber the actress is the best example I can think of. Scottish independence ref loosened a few cogs but brexit snapped the timing belt.

Frances Barber is a permanent galaxy brain tweeter. I despair when people try to dunk on her because her takes are too powerful.

The best example of UK liberal derangement (for lack of a better word) is the constant obsession with the queen sending coded messages in support of the EU.

6 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Frances Barber is a permanent galaxy brain tweeter. I despair when people try to dunk on her because her takes are too powerful.

The best example of UK liberal derangement (for lack of a better word) is the constant obsession with the queen sending coded messages in support of the EU.

Is this a widespread view?  Are you guilty of derangement in suggesting that, I assume, a few people tweeting about this is representative of millions of people in Britain?  It's like me suggesting that everyone that voted Yes buys the theory that postal votes were rigged in the independence referendum.

Perhaps this is the problem with the whole thing, you just end up accusing everyone of being deranged, which is kind of deranged in itself.  I need a lie down.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Is this a widespread view?  Are you guilty of derangement in suggesting that, I assume, a few people tweeting about this is representative of millions of people in Britain?  It's like me suggesting that everyone that voted Yes buys the theory that postal votes were rigged in the independence referendum.

Perhaps this is the problem with the whole thing, you just end up accusing everyone of being deranged, which is kind of deranged in itself.  I need a lie down.

I'm talking mainly about the alt-centre and, no, I don't think it's really a widespread view. It's really limited to the people who talk about the cult of Corbyn while "yas queening" the literal queen wearing a blue dress while meeting Farage or some shite.

I'm talking mainly about the alt-centre and, no, I don't think it's really a widespread view. It's really limited to the people who talk about the cult of Corbyn while "yas queening" the literal queen wearing a blue dress while meeting Farage or some shite.
I think you’re spending too much time on the demented fringes of Twitter, sure you said something about Qanon and Pizzagate being on the right track but misguided a few days ago.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:
10 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I think you’re spending too much time on the demented fringes of Twitter, sure you said something about Qanon and Pizzagate being on the right track but misguided a few days ago.

I think that it's understandable for people to think that billionaires and the dominant class in society are nonces and enablers but believing Donald Trump is the guy who will take them down is laughable given he's just as implicated as anyone else. 

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I think that it's understandable for people to think that billionaires and the dominant class in society are nonces and enablers but believing Donald Trump is the guy who will take them down is laughable given he's just as implicated as anyone else. 

Bit billionairist m8.

Can someone identify which side those kids are on so I know if I should say they are inspiring for their engagement at such a young age or a load of horrible sad b*****ds?

What about the "everything he says and does is great brigade"?

Trump/Boris can say one thing one day and they'll be a flock around them cheering on every word..... then they can say the exact opposite the next day and that very same flock are... eh... cheering on every word.

Just now, BawWatchin said:

Trump/Boris can say one thing one day and they'll be a flock around them cheering on every word..... then they can say the exact opposite the next day and that very same flock are... eh... cheering on every word.

Because they don't care about the content. It's just a culture war.

I think that’s a linked but different sort of thing. You see this across the political spectrum and has the effect of insulating leaders who might previously have been challenged or turfed out.

I think that on the left and the right content, intent or context doesn't really matter anymore. Defeating the other side is all that really matters. If Trump suddenly announced new legislation to deal with climate change and billions of dollars to support it, it  wouldn't be long before the Democrats found some reason to denounce environmentalism. They would probably frame it as Trump attacking the poor or minorities or something along those lines - "he was supposed to be bringing industrial jobs back to the rust belt" - kind of arguments would likely be made. Most Republicans were in favour of Government intervention in healthcare until Obama made it his priority, most Democrats were in favour of stricter immigration controls until Trump pledged to do something about it at the primaries, now they want next to no immigration control whatsoever. 

Personally I don't believe that any of our political parties in the UK have anything resembling a coherent, implementable plan for the future. Nor do I think that many of them can even be bothered to pretend that they do. Ridiculous soundbites about issues (or non-issues) that most folk don't really care about but appeal to a certain base, or token gestures - such as minimum pricing of alcohol - so as to be seen to be caring about a problem without actually caring about the problem -  is the MO for seemingly all politicians now. 

I think, as has already been mentioned, that social media plays a role in amplifying the views of people on the lunatic fringes of the left and right. People like Jesse Peterson, Alex Jones and AOC make David Icke's views seem reasonable. I think this amplification makes many people feel like there is a culture war but ultimately I don't personally think there really is one. It's just a lot of people using the left-right dichotomy to monetise their blogs/Youtube channels, gain cheap validation through retweets etc. 

I kind of feel sorry for our politicians to some extent though. There seems to be a correlation between material wealth and alienation within a lot of developed countries. The more the country develops material prosperity the more people appear to feel alienated. All our political parties are materialistic they just disagree with how the material wealth should be distributed and this line of thinking  just seems to further exacerbate the problem. 

In Scotland if you combine those that are clinically overweight, those who regularly drink alcohol above the recommended amount, those who abuse drugs (Illegal and Legal) and those who use tobacco products then almost everyone that lives in Scotland is an addict of some sort. Drug deaths and homeless junkies are just the extreme end of a self-harm problem that affects almost everyone in Scotland.  What is it that is causing people to knowingly inflict such harm on themselves, ultimately to the point of premature death for most? What is it that people are trying to escape from? If almost everyone is an addict then relative poverty/austerity can't be the main issue as claimed by so many, of course poverty can play a role but I don't believe it's the main problem. There's clearly a much deeper issue of social alienation underlying such behaviour. 

How do you deal with such a deep problem like that if you're a politician, political activist etc.? The answer is that they don't, they simply aim to distract people from reality by creating the notion that people are on opposing sides despite most people (if not all)  suffering from very similar problems - we're all far more alike than we are different. The pretence that everything will get better if only we could defeat our political opponents is the real derangement syndrome I guess. 

21 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think it's a general feeling of a lack of purpose which causes the problem in Scotland.

I think a lot of people up here see very little meaning to their lives and I think that this leads to poor decisions regarding alcohol, drugs and junk food as people try to "self-medicate". This seems to be especially prevalent in younger people. Maybe it's because in school kids are told to "reach for the stars" without being taught adequate tools to do so (how to be self-employed for example). There is also a lot of protection from failure which means that life kicks you hard on the arse when you enter the real world completely unprepared. Then add in the brutal Scottish poison of wanting to "put people in their place" and "you shouldn't get ideas above yer station" and I think you have your answer.

Being a Scot and trying to make a life for yourself which is meaningful to you can sometimes feel like wading through treacle trying to deal with all this cultural poison.

Probably why most Scots graduates move to England TBH.

22 hours ago, ICTChris said:

What does FBPE stand for?

22 hours ago, craigkillie said:

HASHTAG FOLLOW BACK PRO EUROPE.

22 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Frances Barber the actress is the best example I can think of. Scottish independence ref loosened a few cogs but brexit snapped the timing belt.

# Frances Barber Pro Europe, then.