Ross County VS Hamilton Academical 03/08/2019 FLAG DAY

For the first 10 minutes or so, I was happy with how things were going. Oakley and Ogkmpoe were getting in behind easily, although the latter broke down every attack he started, and Hunt and McMann put in some decent crosses.

Then the rest happened.

It was a shapeless mess in both attack and defence, and Alston, Gogic, Hunt, MacKinnon and McGowan were all atrocious. Almost everyone was really sloppy in possession and they all looked confused when trying to defend. Cunningham and Fjortoft looked OK.

His team selection was weird too. The return of McMann at CB was unwelcome - however he wasn't the worst - and a midfield of Alston, Cunningham and MacKinnon would get overrun by L1 teams. I know we're really limited in defensive numbers, but Hunt coming back out of nowhere was a surprise too. His performance justified why he's out since the QP game.

There were a lot of shouts for a CB and, yes, we obviously need one, but we're in desperate need for a creative midfielder as well. Alston doesn't look like the answer, and while Cunningham has done quite well, he won't be either.

I'm not sure County fans can even get that excited about beating that shambles.

OFW - meh
McGowan - awful
Fjortoft - ok
McMann - meh
Gogic - poor
Hunt - awful
Daz - awful
Alston - was he actually playing
Cunningham - ok
Oakley - poor
Oggy - poor.

Strange that in pre season McCann was our best left back, Breen our best centre mid and Smith our best attacker and none get picked yesterday despite Rice wanting to play our younger players

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I said a year ago that we were making a mistake in letting Ross Stewart leave for County and there's not a lot that's happened in the year since that's made me think otherwise. 

We replaced him with Nicolai Brock Madsen FFS. :lol:

16 in 37 for a guy who's played quite often at left wing is seriously impressive.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I said a year ago that we were making a mistake in letting Ross Stewart leave for County and there's not a lot that's happened in the year since that's made me think otherwise. 

We replaced him with Nicolai Brock Madsen FFS. :lol:

He’s been a great addition for us and imo has improved since he arrived through the door , having him mckay, graham and Erwin is good options imo

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

For the first 10 minutes or so, I was happy with how things were going. Oakley and Ogkmpoe were getting in behind easily, although the latter broke down every attack he started, and Hunt and McMann put in some decent crosses.

Then the rest happened.

It was a shapeless mess in both attack and defence, and Alston, Gogic, Hunt, MacKinnon and McGowan were all atrocious. Almost everyone was really sloppy in possession and they all looked confused when trying to defend. Cunningham and Fjortoft looked OK.

His team selection was weird too. The return of McMann at CB was unwelcome - however he wasn't the worst - and a midfield of Alston, Cunningham and MacKinnon would get overrun by L1 teams. I know we're really limited in defensive numbers, but Hunt coming back out of nowhere was a surprise too. His performance justified why he's out since the QP game.

There were a lot of shouts for a CB and, yes, we obviously need one, but we're in desperate need for a creative midfielder as well. Alston doesn't look like the answer, and while Cunningham has done quite well, he won't be either.

I'm not sure County fans can even get that excited about beating that shambles.

Yeah, but that's two Premiership teams we've beaten now with you and St Johnstone where we can't get excited because they are in shambles. So long as you both stay in a shambolic shape for the rest of the season I feel okay about our hopes of staying up and that's the first target for the season.

16 in 37 for a guy who's played quite often at left wing is seriously impressive.

I didn’t realise it was that many. Also considering he was a sub at best for the first month or so. He’s been far, far better than advertised - to the point that Brian Graham, who does a more than perfunctory job at this level, is pretty much surplus to requirements.

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I didn’t realise it was that many. Also considering he was a sub at best for the first month or so. He’s been far, far better than advertised - to the point that Brian Graham, who does a more than perfunctory job at this level, is pretty much surplus to requirements.

Graham still has a role to play- he's far better in tight spaces with the ball at his feet than Stewart but he's probably 4th choice when Erwin gets his clearance. There's honestly not much between Mckay and Stewart for me now, which is mental to think.

I know Brian's chip went just over the bar onto the top net v Hamilton yesterday, but Ross Stewart missed an easier chance when he headed straight into the goalie's arms. Keep both. Graham is very competitive & scores goals and Stewart is still improving. It's a long season and I expect the whole squad to be needed. 

I know Brian's chip went just over the bar onto the top net v Hamilton yesterday, but Ross Stewart missed an easier chance when he headed straight into the goalie's arms. Keep both. Graham is very competitive & scores goals and Stewart is still improving. It's a long season and I expect the whole squad to be needed. 

Absolutely. Especially if Erwin’s registration is still in Tehran.

1 hour ago, Les Westander of County said:

Stewart was offside which saved his blushes- that one was gilt-edged. 

11 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

OFW - meh
McGowan - awful
Fjortoft - ok
McMann - meh
Gogic - poor
Hunt - awful
Daz - awful
Alston - was he actually playing
Cunningham - ok
Oakley - poor
Oggy - poor.

Strange that in pre season McCann was our best left back, Breen our best centre mid and Smith our best attacker and none get picked yesterday despite Rice wanting to play our younger players

How has McKenna been playing saw him last year for Falkirk was surprised to see him end up at Premiership team

Looked pretty bad in the first few games of the Betfred but played well against Airdrie. I think we all expected him to be backup, however he's been the only CB to start every competitive game.
I don't think he looks great on the right of a three (not great defending wide) and is poor when pressed in possession. He's still young though and has some decent attributes such as being decent in the air and fairly quick. McGowan's defensive deficiencies won't help and he needs a partner who will talk him through the game.