The Boys

King Kebab

Excellent first three episodes of series 3. The satire is very clever, but without being too on the nose. There's not enough Victoria Neumann though, but that's a small grumble. Homeland is an excellent character and thoroughly well played. 

Hughie is a whiny wee dick of a character though, but his type of character is ubiquitous in American TV these days, so I understand why he's there. I'm looking forward to seeing where it all goes though.

2 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I'm only 15 minutes into the first episode of the new series... holy f**k I don't know how they keep increasing the level of depravity in such a hilariously disgusting way. 

I was thinking the same thing. I'm no lover of gory violence but in this series it's so over the top that it's pretty funny. 

In a show where there are very, very few people with redeeming qualities and most of the characters are different variety of b*****d, is Homelander the worst villain ever to appear in any series, anywhere? I'm certainly struggling to think of a worse person in fiction.

He is completely and without doubt, irredeemable and fucking despicable. There's no hint of being tortured or conflicted in his actions or having a flicker of remorse or empathy. He's an utterly corrupted and unwavering psychopath. Anthony Starr plays him amazingly. I mean Jesus, he's even making folk feel a flicker of uneasy sympathy for Stormfront. :lol: 

23 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

In a show where there are very, very few people with redeeming qualities and most of the characters are different variety of b*****d, is Homelander the worst villain ever to appear in any series, anywhere? I'm certainly struggling to think of a worse person in fiction.

He is completely and without doubt, irredeemable and fucking despicable. There's no hint of being tortured or conflicted in his actions or having a flicker of remorse or empathy. He's an utterly corrupted and unwavering psychopath. Anthony Starr plays him amazingly. I mean Jesus, he's even making folk feel a flicker of uneasy sympathy for Stormfront. :lol: 

I agree. 

I've just finished episode 2 and Jesus christ....

Spoiler

His character really pushes boundaries. I think the show is overall very clever and careful but nowadays in 2022 having a character encourage someone to commit suicide is pretty god damn bold. I enjoyed the scene and thought it worked but you know there will be some insufferable people online that think it was abhorrent. Actually second to Vader at this point and if the series continues like it has he might even sneak above. The actor is utterly sublime. Surprised he's not more prominent after such a 10/10 display. 

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

In terms of bad guys, I think by the end Homelander and Butcher will be shown to be as bad as each other in different ways. The comic was quite clear with that. 

I think the vast majority of the characters will be shown to all be a bunch of selfish horrible c***s for the most part.

The TV series has been tremendous so far but its unfortunate that no matter how extreme it is I really doubt they'll be allowed to get anywhere near the comics. 

Tony Star is a brilliant Homelander though. I've not seen episode 4 but if he and Soldier Boys relationship is anything like the comic then Jesus fucking Christ it'll be nuts!

The writing and acting of Homelander is incredible. He's a panto villain in that he is obviously awful, but I love seeing him on screen. I know he's capable of absolutely anything and that scene he had with Maeve when he dared her to show the video ("I want to be loved, but if I can't, then I'll be geared") was spine tingling.

Aye the boy who plays him is obviously having a whale of a time doing it. 

The cast is perfect. Esposito is one of my favourites and I pure fancy Victoria Neumann.

Aye I can't wait to watch the next episode.

Erin Moriarty (Starlight) has looked a bit weird to me the whole season. Like something funny with the makeup or lights or whatever.

Finally looked it up and seems she's had some pretty drastic plastic surgery. Bit of a shame. I do not think it's worked as intended.

17 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Erin Moriarty (Starlight) has looked a bit weird to me the whole season. Like something funny with the makeup or lights or whatever.

Finally looked it up and seems she's had some pretty drastic plastic surgery. Bit of a shame. I do not think it's worked as intended.

Aye, hadn't really noticed until the last episode. But there was a scene where she was talking to Hughie and her lips looked weird, definitely looked like she'd had work done. Shame, as it didn't look like it was needed

3 minutes ago, alang1993 said:

Aye, hadn't really noticed until the last episode. But there was a scene where she was talking to Hughie and her lips looked weird, definitely looked like she'd had work done. Shame, as it didn't look like it was needed

It's her nose. Been really thinned and her nostrils are different sizes now or something. Dunno.

14 hours ago, GiGi said:

It looks like she's lost an unhealthy amount of weight. I hope she's well. 

Where is Black Noir? Assuming he's going to be significant as he's in the historical bits. 

Really enjoying this series so far. Every episode has bits that make me glad i deemed it unsuitable for the wife and told her she wouldn't like it.