Arthurlie 19/20

1874_MTL

Just wondering what your opinions are on our best line up so far ? I think craig needs to be givin a 90mins in a bigger game to see how good he really is when tested. Apart from that i would go with:

RB - Hall
CB - Mushet
CB - Mcdade
LB - Gummy
RM - Josh
CM - Lee
CM - Tiger
LM - Div (need more options)
ST - Dan
ST - Tam

Thats just my opinion i think the cm is hard but if you watch tiger/ross tiger has to do alot more work making him alot more tired quickly ross/lee the two of them get foward too much and leave a gap between them and the defence which good teams will exploit. Tiger/lee seems like the best fit lee does alot of getting up and down the park picking the ball up off defence and controlling the game getting foward to back up the strikers he has a great engine. tiger can sit infront of the defence and break up play make those last ditch takles before they get to the defence. We definetly need another wide player or two our wide players can be frustrating to watch at times knowing they have the ability to go by players and not using it. All in all i think the team is looking strong so far lets keep it going all season hopefully win the leauge or atleast get promotion.

Would have PY staring over Mushett but apart from that would be my team too. I heard the young boy O’Neill is a winger who can play on the left so that would give some depth.

Last season we played use at ur home park and use had a young player with glasses on aka edgar davids type but the wee guy was brilliant that night. Is he still with use or was he just helping out? Whats his name? Also hows del mcnab with use? Good clydebank boy

Mon the papers

Last season we played use at ur home park and use had a young player with glasses on aka edgar davids type but the wee guy was brilliant that night. Is he still with use or was he just helping out? Whats his name? Also hows del mcnab with use? Good clydebank boy

Mon the papers

Lee Roulston has the glasses on that night, I think it’s the only time he wore them, doesn’t anymore, he’s still with us and an excellent young player. NcNab was top scorer and really impressive last year, but has moved on to Rossvale.

To be fair i haven't seen enough of all the players to make a decision on our best line up.  Gummy is a shoe in for me but Nicol is a good player also ,could he be utilised in another position?  How about CB ?  Im just not confident with Liam in there although the recent games he has been quite solid. When i look at the team you have listed its more about who isn't in it that shows me we have improved . I would like to see a bit more height up front as we have players who can stick in pin point crosses.
 We seem to have players on the bench who can come on and make an impact. Urquart for me is an exceptional young player. I wouldn't be surprised if he started v Kilsyth.   Doc and Slick can both win a game for you. We relied heavily on these 2 players last season , that shouldn't be the case this season.  I'd hate to be a tired defender and those two coming on fresh.  
It will be interesting to see Dunky's starting 11 against Kilsyth. 

Disagree with you on Nicol. He has been poor. He constantly makes mistakes and always blames other people. He cost us a goal against Pollok and another one last night when he switched off. Not a fan of him and so far this preseason and for me hasn’t improved.

Lee Roulston has the glasses on that night, I think it’s the only time he wore them, doesn’t anymore, he’s still with us and an excellent young player. NcNab was top scorer and really impressive last year, but has moved on to Rossvale.
[emoji106]

Mon the papers

Would have PY staring over Mushett but apart from that would be my team too. I heard the young boy O’Neill is a winger who can play on the left so that would give some depth.

Yeah i thought that about cammy aswell no sure have to wait and see and as for py i heard hees a great cb but dosent show for training

Disagree with you on Nicol. He has been poor. He constantly makes mistakes and always blames other people. He cost us a goal against Pollok and another one last night when he switched off. Not a fan of him and so far this preseason and for me hasn’t improved.

I partially agree with you but i think its because hees unfit and his attacking decision making lets him down against neilston they had a 2v1 he made an excellent takle to stop them scoring so i think fitter he could play a part in the coming season

I partially agree with you but i think its because hees unfit and his attacking decision making lets him down against neilston they had a 2v1 he made an excellent takle to stop them scoring so i think fitter he could play a part in the coming season

Maybe and I hope your right but I think Gummy is far better at defending and getting forward. I just hate players who don’t take responsibility for their own mistakes. Mushett is a bad culprit for it too.

Maybe and I hope your right but I think Gummy is far better at defending and getting forward. I just hate players who don’t take responsibility for their own mistakes. Mushett is a bad culprit for it too.

I completly agree gummy all day long back there hees excellent so calm on the ball in any situation great at tackleing aswell hees also alot fitter. Mushet is great at winning the balls in the air and on the ground its his pace lets him down alot and causeing him to make mistakes

Looking forward to season ahead. Competition all over park. Seen tonight that tam is option wide aswell did really well. I think once dan is properly fit he’ll bang goals in brings others into play really well. He’s slimmed down since last season aswell. Winning section with squad rotation is a delight for me. Shows the progress. Looking forward to seeing more of the new signings also. Big Kieran has been excellent and Tony aswell when played. A lot of local boys throughout the core of the team not had for a while now.  Mon eh lieeeeaaaa

Edited by Mike

On 30/07/2019 at 15:36, iaind said:

Lee wore them constantly until the play of against Meadow when they were twanging the elastic at the back so hes wearing lenses now.... seriously!

21 minutes ago, Mike said:

Looking forward to season ahead. Competition all over park. Seen tonight that tam is option wide aswell did really well. I think once dan is properly fit he’ll bang goals in brings others into play really well. He’s slimmed down since last season aswell. Winning section with squad rotation is a delight for me. Shows the progress. Looking forward to seeing more of the new signings also. Big Kieran has been excellent and Tony aswell when played. A lot of local boys throughout the core of the team not had for a while now.  Mon eh lieeeeaaaa

Agree, I thought Ross was the pick of the bunch tonight just shading Connor while Gordon made a few fantastic stops and will push Giro hard this year. Also thought given his injuries and lack of playing time that Young had a great game, IMO if his head is right hes as good a centre back as there is in the league, there will always be that fear though. Squad is obviously top heavy at the moment but once the league starts I would expect a few to drift away and additions made. Although we qualified from the group for the first time since 14/15 season its still pre-season for me so not getting carried away. Big test on Saturday against Kilsyth who were the only team to beat us home and away last season, also hearing big things about their new midfielder Tom Neil but we will see how he faces up against Tiger.

Also get yourself a programme at the weekend, a bumper 28 page full colour that will hopefully be the norm for the season.

What a horrible night for football but Arthurlie rose to the occasion.  I admit to going to New Tinto with a bit of trepidation as we struggled to get to grips with this surface in our league game last season but the boys were excellent.  A well deserved win against a good team.  We look very confident at the moment and hopefully we can carry that on to Saturday. 

Good performance last night. I thought Gummy, ross, craig and py were excellent. I was happy to see div on the bench and when he came on the only thing he done all night was score the first goal. Numerous times had the chance to clear the ball out the park and ended up putting us in dangerous positions if it wasnt for the keeper or bens poor shooting could have been 2-1 down at halftime. In the second half we have a break 6/7 on 3 to make it 3-0 and kill the game and he nearly kicks the ball out of play making a simple 10 yard pass to doc and lets their team get back. I dont like pointing out the negatives but he has let the team down too many times so far already not tracking back and playing long passes all the time to no one. I think he is the weakest link in our starting line up. I think in the second half they had a good 10/15 min spell where we switched off thinkin we had the game won. This happened too many times last season causeing us to drop points. We need to be ruthless for the full 90 if we want to go up this season other teams could punish us in these spells. Craig gordon was man of the match for me made some outstanding saves i was happy to see him getting his chance against a decent side i thought he took it and has givin dunky a really sore head picking a gk for the season. The boys are looking very good for the start of the season hopefully see them in their new strips on saterday aswell. Kilsyth will be a tough opening game but we are playing good football and on a good run of form so i can see us getting a good result. Mon the lieeeeee [emoji838][emoji836]️[emoji838][emoji836]️[emoji838][emoji836]️.

9 hours ago, Nugent4nil said:

Agree, I thought Ross was the pick of the bunch tonight just shading Connor while Gordon made a few fantastic stops and will push Giro hard this year. Also thought given his injuries and lack of playing time that Young had a great game, IMO if his head is right hes as good a centre back as there is in the league, there will always be that fear though. Squad is obviously top heavy at the moment but once the league starts I would expect a few to drift away and additions made. Although we qualified from the group for the first time since 14/15 season its still pre-season for me so not getting carried away. Big test on Saturday against Kilsyth who were the only team to beat us home and away last season, also hearing big things about their new midfielder Tom Neil but we will see how he faces up against Tiger.

Also get yourself a programme at the weekend, a bumper 28 page full colour that will hopefully be the norm for the season.

Tom Neil not a new signing, he was with us last season, but played a different position, he is looking good in his more natural midfield position I must say, playing next to new signing McKenzie Cairns who has been a stand out for me in the middle of the park, Drew Wingate and Scott Upton in there too, so competition for places is fierce, should be a cracking game

6 hours ago, kilsyth ranger said:

looking forward to trip to Dunterlie on Saturday, u'l have to go some to beat Cumbernauld's programme last week but i'll certainly be buying one emoji16.png

You can let me know after the game..... they do have a trump card with George the main man owning a printers, that said its all about content.

yep, bought one , good effort, plenty in it for £1.50 too , as for the game , thoroughly enjoyed it although we got beat , thought a draw would have been fair , strange game thought we were better team in 1st half but went in 2-0 down to 2 penalties, 1st one , the guy rumps the ball at a 100 miles an hour off our man , what's he meant to do ? honestly? 2nd one was a stonewaller but we should have had one b4 that , c/half pulls back tom neil just as he"s about 2 lob your keeper , ref saw it an chose not to act ? We got back into game to make it 2-1 then Sawyers beats his man while getting fouled runs in2 box and get's brought down for a penalty, after giving advantage he pulls it back to outsde box for 1st foul ? work that one out ? Got bailed out cos we scored from free kick [emoji849]
2nd half was a great contest , end to end a few posts hit , goalline clearances and a 2 goal comeback by us , then an arthurlie winner , as i said thought draw would gave been fairer, but all in all a great advert for our league , good pies and hot dogs 2 [emoji16]

Great result from our worst performance so far. I thought the subs won us the game. Slick when he came on wasnt letting the defence bully him. Young ross made some excellent tackles winning the ball and breaking up play and big py was a boss leading the team from the back getting the goal to give us the victory. I thought kilsyth were the better of the 2 teams for around 65/70 mins of the match. We should have had it all rapped up after that hitting the post twice and having a ball cleared off the line a few times. We definetly need to improve if we want to win the leauge this season or evan be promoted performances like that on another day would punish us. I dont understand why we play long balls all the time when we have majority small players. When we keep the ball on the ground we play some excellent football and teams struggle to keep up. Onto vics away wednesday night hopefully alot better performance and another 3 points in the bag mon the lieeeeee [emoji838][emoji836]️[emoji838][emoji836]️[emoji838][emoji836]️!!!!

yep, bought one , good effort, plenty in it for £1.50 too , as for the game , thoroughly enjoyed it although we got beat , thought a draw would have been fair , strange game thought we were better team in 1st half but went in 2-0 down to 2 penalties, 1st one , the guy rumps the ball at a 100 miles an hour off our man , what's he meant to do ? honestly? 2nd one was a stonewaller but we should have had one b4 that , c/half pulls back tom neil just as he"s about 2 lob your keeper , ref saw it an chose not to act ? We got back into game to make it 2-1 then Sawyers beats his man while getting fouled runs in2 box and get's brought down for a penalty, after giving advantage he pulls it back to outsde box for 1st foul ? work that one out ? Got bailed out cos we scored from free kick [emoji849]
2nd half was a great contest , end to end a few posts hit , goalline clearances and a 2 goal comeback by us , then an arthurlie winner , as i said thought draw would gave been fairer, but all in all a great advert for our league , good pies and hot dogs 2 [emoji16]

Can’t disagree with much of what you have said other than Kieran got the ball when he tackled Swayers in the box so it wasn’t a penalty and that’s why he brought it back. Was at the other end and couldn’t see the one in the first half. On the first penalty I have sympathy for it but that’s the new rule in action. If the the hand is in an unnatural position it’s a penalty and that’s what happened. The ref actually missed your centre back handle the ball in the air just before the penalty was given.

Was a great advert for the league and IMO Kilsyth will play worse and win & we will play better and lose.

Credit to our manager who got his subs right and it changed the flow of the game. I was critical of him last season for it but credit where it’s due.