The c*nted Thread

Bit annoying that you can't buy a couple of cans on the way home coming off a night shift.

Find a pub that has a license and see if you can buy unopened cans to take away?

I always drink in moderation so this isn’t a problem for me, you are using an argument that the 10-10 window of not being able to buy alcohol is a good idea so guys like you who have been up all night drinking will have to wait a few extra hours in the morning to buy booze, I think that argument is nonsense. You are the person who is responsible for your own health and to know when to stop drinking, it’s not down to the government to tell you that you can’t buy booze to a certain time for your own benefit.

Just because there are a few irresponsible people like you who are still pissed at 8 o clock on a Saturday morning and can’t make the informed adult decision to go to sleep for a few hours doesn’t mean that middle class, responsible drinkers like me and Granny Danger shouldn’t be able to purchase our £7 Rioja at that time of day in preparation for our Saturday afternoon swingers parties.

People should be sensible enough not to drive drunk but that laws in place without argument against?
It works perfectly well down here, I prefer to go to the supermarket early as it is quieter then. Not once have I felt the need to go home and tan a bottle of Vodka at 7:30am.

You’re not an alcoholic though, are you?
I think this law is there to try and help save (maybe a bit strong a word) from themselves...

This is meant to be the cunted thread, not the sanctimonious pious temperance p***k thread. 

I haven't been cunted for at least 6 months, when I got lost after the Christmas do, but it's nice to know the option's there. 

I don't live in Scotland so don't have draconian licencing for off sales, but I'm rarely incoherent before lunch. 

11 minutes ago, coprolite said:

This is meant to be the cunted thread, not the sanctimonious pious temperance p***k thread. 

I haven't been cunted for at least 6 months, when I got lost after the Christmas do, but it's nice to know the option's there. 

I don't live in Scotland so don't have draconian licencing for off sales, but I'm rarely incoherent before lunch. 

Got news for you, mate.

58 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Don’t see why not? There’s pubs open at 7, I know most pubs are sound with folk buying unopened bevy to take away so...

You'd have to find one first, don't even know if there is one in Inverness, and you'd presumably have to fight your way through the alkys to get served. I was meaning the local Scotmid. 

Guest Moomintroll

You’re not an alcoholic though, are you?
I think this law is there to try and help save (maybe a bit strong a word) from themselves...

The people who are desperate will always know where to go that will serve them outside licensing hours, all the law in Scotland does right now is penalise responsible people.

You'd have to find one first, don't even know if there is one in Inverness, and you'd presumably have to fight your way through the alkys to get served. I was meaning the local Scotmid. 

Can’t help you with Inverness I’m afraid but there’s at least one, two maybe, pubs in Aberdeen you can get a pint at 7. I never have so can’t comment on the clientele or how busy they are.

The people who are desperate will always know where to go that will serve them outside licensing hours, all the law in Scotland does right now is penalise responsible people.

It doesn’t though. I think it stops people from carrying on when they shouldn’t but aren’t in the mind frame to know what’s best for them. I’ve been frustrated by the licensing laws myself but I can also appreciate why they were brought in and that they will be a good thing for some people. The “folk desperate to will manage” is a weak argument imo.

It doesn’t though. I think it stops people from carrying on when they shouldn’t but aren’t in the mind frame to know what’s best for them. I’ve been frustrated by the licensing laws myself but I can also appreciate why they were brought in and that they will be a good thing for some people. The “folk desperate to will manage” is a weak argument imo.

10pm - 8am would work fine for me tbh.

13 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

It works perfectly well down here, I prefer to go to the supermarket early as it is quieter then. Not once have I felt the need to go home and tan a bottle of Vodka at 7:30am.

You haven't lived...

Guest Moomintroll

No argument from me around the first part where people should accept enough is enough & blackout for 10 hours or so.
When I lived in Scotland, I always knew a local shop that would serve out of hours in the morning & it would be naive to think that the local alcoholics were unaware of this.

The law isn’t to give drunk people a break from drinking of course it’s so people don’t spill out of clubs at 3 am then get more booze and cause trouble. It also stops shop keepers from having to deal with drunken arseholes at antisocial hours of the day. No one cares about drunks at 6 am abstaining from drinking for 4 hours for their own good. It’s sad that the law is in place but as always it’s a small minority of trouble makers that ruin it for the rest of us. Moving it to 8 am would make all the difference for people like myself as I wouldn’t venture to the shops before then, also it’s a time when people knock off the night shift.

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The Keg used to open at 7am, as did Monty's.  No idea about anywhere else.

The majority, 7am. The other ones I know, 6am.

8 am can still serve them pretty well then at that time and it gives the likes of you 2 hours time to re-evaluate your life when you’re steaming at 6 am and gives me time to stock up on booze on my Saturday morning weekly shop.