Tracing Ancestry

1 hour ago, PWL said:

Ancestry have updated their DNA reports this week. Mine remains remarkably boring. I've just dropped from 78 to 73% Scottish and they've put the 5% into Welsh. So it classes me as having DNA present in the four British Isles nations. All a bit rubbish really. 

£100 to find out you're, white British?!

My uncle did this years ago over a number of years. From what I recall I'm related to William Wallace but through his wife.

Other than that it was rather boring: we have been farmers in south west Scotland from generation to generation. No idea at what point the shit hit the fan as I'm nowhere near (farmer levels of) wealthy nor will I ever vote Tory.

Reasons to be cheerful thread for this pish, but my Alba voting, shortbread-tin-foil hat wearing Scottish nationalist da' got his results back recently which had him down as 65% English. 

He's absolutely beelin' about it and said he will seek a second opinion. My sister and I are goading him mercilessly about it though 😇.

12 minutes ago, Dolf said:

All bets are off once Irsh names are anglicized 

It's not uncommon for there to be 12 different versions of the same name

Also during the War of Independence the Customs house,which held every record in the country was burned to the ground by the I.R.A so as to make British governmental control impossible

It worked but as a result when push comes to shove its very hard for anyone to prove their backstop without consulting parish records

Thankfully a strong oral tradition made things easier

Sadly they'd also moved many of the rural records into the Customs House for safe keeping. Think it was more of propaganda thing than doing serious harm to British control.