Themepark Accident

8 minutes ago, gannonball said:

My word. I was expecting a lot more screaming and shouting n the aftermath but fair play to all the randoms not panicking and just cracking on with helping.

Totally different culture over there. We'd never expect accidents of that nature to ever occur here. Their lack of shock is sad in a way.

Pretty much identical to one that happened only a few weeks ago. I can't recall where exactly, but think it was a former Soviet State.

Pretty much the exact same ride, same fault.

Thankfully any theme park I would visit has far more exciting rides than these, so I'm in no danger of falling into the #couldhavebeenme camp.

6 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Very very sad news, horrible to see. Hopefully it will crack down on theme parks health and safety round the world.

That would just take all the fun out of it.

I was at a fair/shows last year in Lopburi for the monkey festive. The big wheel, one of the little cages became loose. They just stopped the fucker and somebody climbed up with a spanner and got to work.  They then proceeded to start up and just go on as normal, nobody getting off or f**k all.  I was like.

giphy.gif 

Edited by SlipperyP

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

That would just take all the fun out of it.

I was at a fair/shows last year in Lopburi for the monkey festive. The big wheel, one of the little cages became loose. They just stopped the fucker and somebody climbed up with a spanner and got to work.  They then proceeded to start up and just go on as normal, nobody getting off or f**k all.  I was like.

giphy.gif 

What a mental way to keep on top of ride repair, did you go on the ride afterwards?

3 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

What a mental way to keep on top of ride repair, did you go on the ride afterwards?

No chance, the wife was with me....

Seriously, I would never go on any shows here, that could fall or crash. There is NO health & Safety. Dodgems  is the most dangerous I'll let the kids on.  My 17 yo was at the shows in town with her friends for the first time without her parents.  She went on everything. f**k that, I think half the stuff is put together with blu tack.

33 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

No chance, the wife was with me....

Seriously, I would never go on any shows here, that could fall or crash. There is NO health & Safety. Dodgems  is the most dangerous I'll let the kids on.  My 17 yo was at the shows in town with her friends for the first time without her parents.  She went on everything. f**k that, I think half the stuff is put together with blu tack.

I doubt it's much better anywhere and the lack of tragedy to prove it is just luck. Fortunately, my fool proof system of never going near the fucking things, never mind on them never fails.

51 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I doubt it's much better anywhere and the lack of tragedy to prove it is just luck. Fortunately, my fool proof system of never going near the fucking things, never mind on them never fails.

Not fancy this?

40 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Not fancy this?

Sorry to spoil it but it's a well done fake. Couldn't see how they could stop the riders hitting each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNWwclfwiEg

Also at 3.15 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kYT882v6SI

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I never go near these things.

Didn't do it as a child and won't do it now.

I did do it once when I was 18 but only because the girl I was trying to impress begged me to go with her. Absolutely shat myself. Mind you I did get a snog so it was just worth it and no more. At least back in those days I had ignorance to blame but in the internet age there's no excuse really for not knowing these things are unbelievably dangerous.

To let your kids on these things is simply insane.

Maybe someone can explain the thrill of going on something which you know pretty much for a fact probably hasn't been properly maintained and where there are endless youtube videos of them coming apart.

In hope you don't let your kids walk on a pavement, numerous videos of cars mounting them and hitting pedestrians.  See also incidents of traffic collisions, cycle accidents, sports injuries.  Best just leave them in the house (but keep them away from blinds and furniture for obvious reasons). :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, strichener said:

In hope you don't let your kids walk on a pavement, numerous videos of cars mounting them and hitting pedestrians.  See also incidents of traffic collisions, cycle accidents, sports injuries.  Best just leave them in the house (but keep them away from blinds and furniture for obvious reasons). :rolleyes:

There is a difference between the necessary risks we all take to fuction every day and the risk taken to do something completely unnecessary.

Unless you go to work on a roller coaster, of course.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

There is a difference between the necessary risks we all take to fuction every day and the risk taken to do something completely unnecessary.

Unless you go to work on a roller coaster, of course.

Yes only doing the first is for boring b*****ds.  I am sure the surge of adrenaline you get when someone gives you a greenie on P& B makes your life worth living.  Others prefer to take more risks with activities such as base jumping, free running etc.  In the grand scheme of things, deaths on theme park rides is currently less likely than flying  in a machine made by the world's largest aeroplane maker.