Climate change protests

24 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

You realise that what you are doing is utterly pointless? 

The production of plastics is a by-product of the process of distilling hydro carbons. So regardless of whether we stop using plastics or not, whilst we still need oil, gas, bitumen, diesel, kerosene, sulphur ect plastics are still going to be produced. 

Obviously you've missed the fact that diesel cars are now regarded as toxic, are gradually being taxed off the road, every car manufacturer in the world is scrambling to

produce electric cars, all the 'smart money' in investments is going down the road of low carbon, climate change, SRI ( Socially Responsbile Investment ).

Basically , away from fossil fuels.

1 hour ago, Victor von Doom said:

"Oh dearie me! Oh scheidt! I'm supported by my parents, who are are stipendiary parasites, who've "worked" all their lives in the public sector or at a semi-state quango - creating no wealth and earning no money, but being paid a generous stipend to perform less-than-essential bureaucratic functions. I'm attending a university, to study a course I don't pay for, in preparation for a "career" doing exactly what my parents have done - and maybe starting down the road to a sideline in politics by being a local councillor on a £10k p.a. "allowance". And I'm doing all this in an evil imperialist society, whose wealth is dependent on the virtual enslavement of two-thirds of the planet's population. And there's a 9-y-o Pakistani girl, making my Primark clothes for 15 cents an hour, with her jugular being crushed by the jackboot I'm wearing on my right foot. And there's some African dude, harvesting the coffee I desperately need with my avocado toast for $10 per week, with his jugular under the heel of the jackboot I'm wearing on my left boot. And I wish poor people like them didn't have to work like that, for so little money, but I like buying cheap clothes and cheap food, because it allows me and my parents to pour a few more drinks down our throats when we go to the subsidised bar at our university or public sector workplace, before we call an Uber, driven by a "self-employed" immigrant earning sub-minimum-wage, to ferry us home. And I honestly feel terrible about the unjust system the evil, capitalist West operates on, and I'd like to change it - so long as changing it doesn't require any real effort or genuine sacrifice. But changing it's soooo difficult, so I'll just pretend the fact I'm black / Pakistani / homosexual / vegan / left-handed / a Leo / a St.Johnstone fan makes me a victim of the evil system that sustains me. And I'll delude myself that I care by taking part in pathetic protests that inconvenience working folk who are not "right-minded" like I am and which bring no pressure to bear on anyone who can do anything meaningful to change the situation. God! This is thirsty work! Where's the nearest place I can get a cappuccino or a non-refrigerated smoothie that wasn't mixed using electricity?"            

cut and paste job..nap

25 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Obviously you've missed the fact that diesel cars are now regarded as toxic, are gradually being taxed off the road, every car manufacturer in the world is scrambling to

produce electric cars, all the 'smart money' in investments is going down the road of low carbon, climate change, SRI ( Socially Responsbile Investment ).

Basically , away from fossil fuels.

So tell me then, how do we power all these electric cars? 

42 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

I didn't say we should chuck plastics in the sea. I simply pointed out that individuals refusing to use plastic products wasn't going to stop plastics from being produced. 

The answer to the waste problem is for industry to find a successful way to use the plastics that our consumption of hydro carbons creates. 

That's not true though. If enough individuals refuse to use a product it stops getting made as much. This is why there isn't a lead plumbing manufacturer left in the UK. 

Recycling also does help, at least by stopping the stuff going straight back into the wild and having another round of being used. 

I doubt that plastic is inevitable as a waste product of making petrol, but I have no knowledge on that so won't argue that dubious sounding point. 

That's not true though. If enough individuals refuse to use a product it stops getting made as much. This is why there isn't a lead plumbing manufacturer left in the UK. 
Recycling also does help, at least by stopping the stuff going straight back into the wild and having another round of being used. 
I doubt that plastic is inevitable as a waste product of making petrol, but I have no knowledge on that so won't argue that dubious sounding point. 
Some plastic may be that. If you take Grangemouth for example where ethylene production (used to make polyethylene) was once largely fed by the gas evolved from the North Sea crude being stabilised, making his point somewhat true, it is now fed chiefly by fracked ethane shipped over from the US. Plastic, and its entire supply chain is an industry in itself and would exist regardless of conventional crude oil production.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
11 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Some plastic may be that. If you take Grangemouth for example where ethylene production (used to make polyethylene) was once largely fed by the gas evolved from the North Sea crude being stabilised, making his point somewhat true, it is now fed chiefly by fracked ethane shipped over from the US. Plastic, and its entire supply chain is an industry in itself and would exist regardless of conventional crude oil production.

Fracking hasn't put an end to the needs of the world to use Crude Oil. Fracked gas won't make kerosene, diesel, petrol, or bitumen, or any of the lubricant oils we need in every day life. Whilst we need crude oil we will continue to produce ethylene as a by product regardless of whether people are paying 5p for plastic bags or using bamboo toothbrushes or not. 

Fracking hasn't put an end to the needs of the world to use Crude Oil. Fracked gas won't make kerosene, diesel, petrol, or bitumen, or any of the lubricant oils we need in every day life. Whilst we need crude oil we will continue to produce ethylene as a by product regardless of whether people are paying 5p for plastic bags or using bamboo toothbrushes or not. 

My point was, taking Scotlands ethylene production as a case in point, crude oil is not required, and yet ethylene production is booming. Far from a mere by product

17 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Have a wee read up on it then. You'll see I'm right. 

Zen Archer's joke on the last page about it being a "cracking answer" is a clue to what to search for. It's the process of cracking Hydro Carbons that I was referring to. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

My point was, taking Scotlands ethylene production as a case in point, crude oil is not required, and yet ethylene production is booming. Far from a mere by product

Ineos have already said that they reckon they are two years away from having a production process that will recycle 100% of plastics, converting them back into little plastic pellets that can be reused. They've said that it really doesn't matter to them whether they make their money using crude oil, fracked gas, or recycled plastic - so long as they are making money. Ironically refusing to use plastic products in the future may actually precipitate the waste problem that the world has with plastics. 

41 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Have a wee read up on it then. You'll see I'm right. 

Zen Archer's joke on the last page about it being a "cracking answer" is a clue to what to search for. It's the process of cracking Hydro Carbons that I was referring to. 

Do you mind if I don't, I don't care if you're right or not and have to ration my brain space for more interesting things. 

Just now, coprolite said:

Do you mind if I don't, I don't care if you're right or not and have to ration my brain space for more interesting things. 

Not at all. Being ignorant and uninformed on a football forum is everyone's right. 

31 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

I'm surprised that more old people aren't protesting climate change seeing as they're the ones absolutely fucked when a decent cold winter hits

They're hoping to pop their clogs before the rest of us drown.

33 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

I'm surprised that more old people aren't protesting climate change seeing as they're the ones absolutely fucked when a decent cold winter hits

If you can somehow manage to link climate change to the taking away of their free TV licenses they'll be on the streets like a shot

12 years until we hit climate disaster, I still maintain that private jets should be heavily taxed or banned all together also electric vehicles are no cleaner over their life time than petrol vehicles so they clearly aren't the answer, the answer to that and everything else is hydrogen power.

We should also have no dealings with the US whilst they continue to be the only country to ignore the Paris agreement and should be putting pressure on our allies to do the same.