William Hill Scottish Cup 2019/2020

21 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Daft thing is if everyone came on board under the same banner this would be an even bigger and better non league tourney. Doesn't look like it'll happen anytime soon though. 

I love trips in the Junior cup with Lochee, I went to Neilston on Saturday and had a great day out, I also really enjoyed my 2 trips to Ayrshire last season. But if it was an all-non league tournament it would massively improve it. Now the decent sides are mainly Ayrshire/Lanarkshire and a few on Tayside. I'd love some trips to other parts of the country as well, so I'm all for an all-non league cup.

17 minutes ago, Marten said:

I love trips in the Junior cup with Lochee, I went to Neilston on Saturday and had a great day out, I also really enjoyed my 2 trips to Ayrshire last season. But if it was an all-non league tournament it would massively improve it. Now the decent sides are mainly Ayrshire/Lanarkshire and a few on Tayside. I'd love some trips to other parts of the country as well, so I'm all for an all-non league cup.

The HL clubs don't appear to be interested (they couldn't even keep the North Challenge Cup going), and the North Juniors have always had a love/hate relationship with the Junior Cup given costs involved.  With more clubs getting Licenced and entering the Scottish Cup, the calendar will become squeezed even more.

Something probably could be done which would look totally different from the Junior Cup, but not until everyone is on board Pyramid wise. 

4 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

The HL clubs don't appear to be interested (they couldn't even keep the North Challenge Cup going), and the North Juniors have always had a love/hate relationship with the Junior Cup given costs involved.  With more clubs getting Licenced and entering the Scottish Cup, the calendar will become squeezed even more.

Something probably could be done which would look totally different from the Junior Cup, but not until everyone is on board Pyramid wise. 

Yes, I understand it's easier said than done and you're right that plenty of things still need to change. But just from my perspective through going to Junior Cup games I'd love the cup to become proper national one day.

Obviously, I understand that my look on it through a club that regularly does well in the Junior Cup is different from that of people following smaller clubs for who the cup is just a burden on their season and costs them a fair bit of money.

21 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

The HL clubs don't appear to be interested (they couldn't even keep the North Challenge Cup going), 

The North Challenge Cup was basically the Highland League Cup + Golspie Sutherland. 

Bit different to the South where it was the one competition between EoS & SoS clubs.

16 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The North Challenge Cup was basically the Highland League Cup + Golspie Sutherland. 

Bit different to the South where it was the one competition between EoS & SoS clubs.

It illustrates their indifference to new competitions, and HL members on here show very little enthusiasm for the concept of a national non-league cup. 

Perhaps the North Challenge Cup could eventually be revived if and when North Junior and Tayside come on board, and can act as "qualifiers" along with the South Challenge Cup for a last 16 or 32 national stage. 

Anyway, off topic and not something we need to worry about anytime soon.

22 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

It illustrates their indifference to new competitions, and HL members on here show very little enthusiasm for the concept of a national non-league cup. 

But it wasn't a new competition to them. It was a rebranded Qualifying Cup that would have filled the first half of the season. Now the first half of the season was filled with actual Scottish Cup games.

The year they ended it they also expanded from 15-18 teams. The spots in the calendar for a repeat competition dried up.

Shetland also played in the North Challenge Cup latterly. It was dropped after 2yrs when SFA subsidy stopped and HL expanded. There was also a senior Inter-League Cup introduced earlier in the decade involving HL, EOSL & SOSL clubs but it was dropped after its inaugural season... I recall several ties were scratched.

EDIT: Aye, it was sponsored - the "Soccer World Inter-League Cup". Basically:
* Dalbeattie and Threave declined to enter
* Tarff scratched to Cove and Whitehill scratched to Girvan in QFs
* Girvan scratched to Cove in SFs

Edited by HibeeJibee

32 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Shetland also played in the North Challenge Cup latterly. It was dropped after 2yrs when SFA subsidy stopped and HL expanded. There was also a senior Inter-League Cup introduced earlier in the decade involving HL, EOSL & SOSL clubs but it was dropped after its inaugural season... I recall several ties were scratched.

EDIT: Aye, it was sponsored - the "Soccer World Inter-League Cup". Basically:
* Dalbeattie and Threave declined to enter
* Tarff scratched to Cove and Whitehill scratched to Girvan in QFs
* Girvan scratched to Cove in SFs

Do you know who won it?

12 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Perhaps the North Challenge Cup could eventually be revived if and when North Junior and Tayside come on board, and can act as "qualifiers" along with the South Challenge Cup for a last 16 or 32 national stage. 

Anyway, off topic and not something we need to worry about anytime soon.

Agreed, this is off topic, but the North Region Challenge Cup was always doomed to failure, once "all in" Scottish Cup entry appeared. Unlike the South version, it didn't really create a new competition across leagues, but pretty much just replicated already existing ones in the North, like the Highland League Cup, North and Aberdeenshire Cups/Shield. Once the prize money went, so did the enthusiasm for something that just created fixture congestion.

I think for most North clubs (this is me speaking as a fan and a pragmatist), the Scottish Cup is the one and only national competition. Although, even I would like to see a national non-league competition like the Junior Cup or the English Trophy, I suspect that it would never gain particularly much support up here, unless there was a significant amount of funding behind it. I'm aware this is a bit like the Juniors "wha's like us" mentality, but it is realistic I think. Geography certainly matters up here.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Do you mean at the time of the draw or the cup's creation? Because 2001-02 was the first year in the EoSFL.

Seems it was open to SFA members who finished above certain place the previous season (this shut-out Crichton Royal and Dumfries). Dalbeattie did so in abandoned SOSL - and above St Cuthbert - but didn't enter... place went to Girvan (bypassing Creetown).

Threave ditto in EOSL - but didn't enter... place didn't go to Spartans, interestingly - or perhaps also declined.

• 2 weeks later...