William Hill Scottish Cup 2019/2020

20 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Aye and no.

Common sense prevails and the romance of the cup and aw that but should these amateur teams no at least have grounds up to a reasonable standard to start wi otherwise what's the point in having them in when they can chop and change venues at anytime especially wi the strict guidelines in place by the SFA. If WW were at home and given the weather every chance Ferguson Park is most likely unplayable as well today would they, or any other side at that be allowed to switch venue  ? 

Well Lothian thistle did so why not?

I have no problem with teams taking part not having an appropriate ground, as long as alternatives are arranged in advance. In Germany, non-league clubs that don't have grounds suitable for cup ties nominate a ground before the 1st round draw takes place. That ground will then be their home ground for the entire tournament, even if they happen to draw the club whose ground they nominated like what happened this season with Delmenhorst v Werder Bremen (Delmenhorst are a non-league club near Bremen and nominated Werder's ground so the game got played there.

If a club have a ground at which cup ties can be held unless it's against a big team, then they nominate a ground before the draw that they use if they draw a big team. That won't be needed in preliminary rounds for example, but imagine if the likes of Civil Service Strollers happen to reach the 4th round and draw Celtic, I think it's unlikely they will be able to play at their home ground.

Edit: LTHV's case can be seen as an emergency, these get treated on a case-by-case basis in Germany

Edited by Marten

8 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Fair point so is this a new ruling then  and can we expect it to happen a lot more in the future ?

Well given there's only three weeks between each PR round, if one Saturday has already been called off and there's a good chance the second Sunday will also be called off - might as well move it somewhere else before midweek games come into it.

Still don't know why they had to go across to the other side of Glasgow instead of using Alliance Park (only 500 capacity though) but hey ho.

11 minutes ago, Marten said:

If a club have a ground at which cup ties can be held unless it's against a big team, then they nominate a ground before the draw that they use if they draw a big team. That won't be needed in preliminary rounds for example, but imagine if the likes of Civil Service Strollers happen to reach the 4th round and draw Celtic, I think it's unlikely they will be able to play at their home ground.

Edit: LTHV's case can be seen as an emergency, these get treated on a case-by-case basis in Germany

Precedent been set now though thats why I asked the question  ? 

Precedent been set now though thats why I asked the question  ? 
It's already happened a number of times in the past EK played at Airdrie when drawn against Celtic and Albion Rovers have twice moved games in the Cup. Pretty sure there will be other examples too.

They're fair questions as 1) only last year the SFA top brass toured league meetings telling clubs that in future registered grounds would be held to no matter what, or something to similar effect; and 2) clubs have spent significant amounts reaching licence standard, and now again installing lights. As this weekend's cases show - it's easier to state a hard line than hold to it when real-life situations occur.

Edited by HibeeJibee

I'm not sure I see what the issue is here. Both sides have registered grounds which are perfectly fine for the Scottish Cup, but in both cases (for slightly different reasons) there was a risk of the pitch not being playable this weekend so they made a decision in plenty of time to move their game to another suitable ground.

In both cases, the move certainly wasn't for financial reasons - if anything the clubs will lose money from moving them. Instead, the move ensures that the ties are played before the next round starts, thus avoiding cluttering up what is already a ludicrously tight schedule.

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not sure I see what the issue is here. Both sides have registered grounds which are perfectly fine for the Scottish Cup, but in both cases (for slightly different reasons) there was a risk of the pitch not being playable this weekend so they made a decision in plenty of time to move their game to another suitable ground.

In both cases, the move certainly wasn't for financial reasons - if anything the clubs will lose money from moving them. Instead, the move ensures that the ties are played before the next round starts, thus avoiding cluttering up what is already a ludicrously tight schedule.

Theyd be most likely to lose even more money had they been forced to play a midweek afternoon  ? 

I think tomorrows tie will attract a bigger crowd. I just found it bizarre how a Lanarkshire club are suddenly playing in Glasgow a fair distance from their roots.

As HJ pointed out earlier clubs are spending money to keep up wi the standards that the SFA are setting and whilst it seems common sense to move the tie to an artificial surface I think its opening a whole new can o worms. The SFA stated there would be no more Bonnyrigg v Hibs scenarios at Tynecastle. This is just ammunition for a similar situation  ? 

2 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Is it perhaps time to limit Scottish Cup entry to Licenced clubs, and remove the Junior and Amatuer winners?  There's a clear pathway to enter the Pyramid if you want it.

No I disagree with that. If you do that you could get a bigger gap between clubs. If we get a good run in the Scottish it could give us a springboard. Had we remained junior and the big move across didnt happen we wouldn't have been in scottish cup

3 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

No I disagree with that. If you do that you could get a bigger gap between clubs. If we get a good run in the Scottish it could give us a springboard. Had we remained junior and the big move across didnt happen we wouldn't have been in scottish cup

Are you no working on getting a licence ? 

5 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I think admitting Junior and Amatuer clubs into the competition needs to cease, given there is a clear pathway to getting Licenced and entering the Scottish Cup if clubs want it.

Why should Banks O'Dee for example get to refuse pyramid entry, but use Scottish Cup cash every year to fund their team.

Admitting non-Licenced Senior clubs is a slightly different matter.

3 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I think admitting Junior and Amatuer clubs into the competition needs to cease, given there is a clear pathway to getting Licenced and entering the Scottish Cup if clubs want it.

Why should Banks O'Dee for example get to refuse pyramid entry, but use Scottish Cup cash every year to fund their team.

Admitting non-Licenced Senior clubs is a slightly different matter.

The SJFA situation where their league winners qualify should be reviewed since they exist outside the pyramid, but I still think the Junior Cup and Amateur Cup winners should be offered a qualifying route due to the number of clubs that compete at their respective levels.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The SJFA situation where their league winners qualify should be reviewed since they exist outside the pyramid, but I still think the Junior Cup and Amateur Cup winners should be offered a qualifying route due to the number of clubs that compete at their respective levels.

That probably is the fair thing to do

Been a while since I posted Burnieman but I have a question for you. Why have clubs who applied for their licence been knocked back because of a lack of floodlights but Jeanfield Swifts were granted a licence ? I saw the video clips of their goals from yesterday's game v Broxburn and it's clear there are no floodlights on the clubroom side of the ground and behind the goals. Now I remember there were lights on the opposite side facing on to a training pitch but surely this is not acceptable ? 

17 minutes ago, locheeboy said:

Been a while since I posted Burnieman but I have a question for you. Why have clubs who applied for their licence been knocked back because of a lack of floodlights but Jeanfield Swifts were granted a licence ? I saw the video clips of their goals from yesterday's game v Broxburn and it's clear there are no floodlights on the clubroom side of the ground and behind the goals. Now I remember there were lights on the opposite side facing on to a training pitch but surely this is not acceptable ? 

I think ud need to ask sfa

18 minutes ago, locheeboy said:

Sadly, I don't grant SFA licences otherwise I may have been able to help.