Buying a static...

We've been thinking about taking the plunge and buying a static caravan somewhere.

Quite like the parkdean places and thinking possibly Southerness or sundrum castle.

Any other p&b'ers have a wee holiday place somewhere they can recommend, within 1 hour 30 mins of the central belt preferably.

What's the site fee's like on these places etc?

Any help appreciated.

We’re also looking for a static and getting rid of the tourer. Think it all depends on the site, some though can take the piss. The one site we’re on now with a summer pitch is ideal 

Do people who own statics ever rent them out, like with Airbnb or directly with the campsites? Haven't found it happening when I've looked, not sure why. It would be handy especially in remote locations, and most must be vacant for much of the year.

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Do people who own statics ever rent them out, like with Airbnb or directly with the campsites? Haven't found it happening when I've looked, not sure why. It would be handy especially in remote locations, and most must be vacant for much of the year.

The sites I visit it isn’t allowed, but some do, usually the big sites which I avoid

Static hire in St Andrews is quite common where prices range from £360-£600+ (per week) in the high season. When the open is at St. Andrews you could probably double that.

My family had 2 statics for over 30 years in St Andrews and for some mental reason we never hired it out.

Relatives of mine have one at the Parkdean place in Nairn. Its nice, great for a holiday with the kids, and the park is right on the beach which is lovely.

The only thing I can't wrap my head round is the finances. Its insanely expensive. Works for my relatives because they're retired and they basically live there for six months of the year but I don't see how anyone could justify one if they were just going to use it on an occasional (or even semi-regular) basis. From what I can tell even the cheapest second hand static van is £40k+, then the site fees are another few £k a year on top. You could have a lot of really great holidays to more exotic locations for that kind of cash...

Daughter bought a second hand static near St Andrews a few years ago but were unaware or ignored the fact that when the van reached a certain age it had to be scrapped and replaced.  Reached the date and they walked away from it.  Sore lesson to learn.

Daughter bought a second hand static near St Andrews a few years ago but were unaware or ignored the fact that when the van reached a certain age it had to be scrapped and replaced.  Reached the date and they walked away from it.  Sore lesson to learn.

This was the main reason we got rid of ours.