Predictions that were wrong

ICTChris

12 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The wider British public accepted austerity because it mainly hit the bottom 20%. Fundamental changes to the NHS would be met with resistance from a far bigger section of the electorate and as long as Labour are offering a left wing manifesto the Tories will never go there. It would require a US style one party corporate take over.

The City of London already has the kind of powers you are talking about. To me semi autonomous means having fiscal power and that break will never happen.

Austerity was initially a reasonably easy sell because we expect our leaders to be competent. Events since have shown with plenty of proof that not only was it a scandalous redirection of public funds, but that it ws affecting a damn sight more than 20% of the least fortunate. Illness and disability strike irrespective of wealth. Many of us have children whose schools have no resources. I am a PS worker, currently above the average wage by a matter of hundreds of pounds. I can tell you Austerity affected me and mine from Day One, and continues to do so.

More and more people are coming to use the services they believed were still there only to find they've been stripped bare. These people are starting to question what they hear and read. Young people don't respect "that's how it's always been" when presented with the disgraceful diribution of resources, and, frankly, more of them are becoming enfranchised as more of those who believe the establishment line are dying.

Labour will win the next Election. The Tories are reduced to filling their pockets before they finally get fucked off.

Austerity was only accepted by the public because it was backed nearly unanimously across the apparent political divide. The Scottish Independence campaign getting to 45%, the SNP sweeping the board in 2015 and Labour making the breakthrough in 2017 owed something to them challenging the consensus that gutting public services and dismantling the rest of the welfare state was the necessary response to the financial crash.

It's worth remembering that austerity was initially accompanied by the bullshit about Cameron's Big Society and an endless stream of right wing economists and think tanks promoting Crowding Out theory with claims that private capital would step in to replace public spending. Those arguments have been abandoned and erased from history like a Lost Prophets fan binning their tour t shirts but circa 2009-2012 the media were holding this up as sensible economic orthodoxy.

The Tories are at an economic dead end. They can't bribe voters with more privatisations, house prices can't jump up again and private debt is maxed out. They have nothing to offer.

Edited by Detournement

3 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Austerity was initially a reasonably easy sell because we expect our leaders to be competent. Events since have shown with plenty of proof that not only was it a scandalous redirection of public funds, but that it ws affecting a damn sight more than 20% of the least fortunate. Illness and disability strike irrespective of wealth. Many of us have children whose schools have no resources. I am a PS worker, currently above the average wage by a matter of hundreds of pounds. I can tell you Austerity affected me and mine from Day One, and continues to do so.

More and more people are coming to use the services they believed were still there only to find they've been stripped bare. These people are starting to question what they hear and read. Young people don't respect "that's how it's always been" when presented with the disgraceful diribution of resources, and, frankly, more of them are becoming enfranchised as more of those who believe the establishment line are dying.

Labour will win the next Election. The Tories are reduced to filling their pockets before they finally get fucked off.

Labour have no chance of winning the election. Not a hope in hell.

The Tories have always milked this country of the proceeds of working class labour. A shit situation to be sure, but sustainable, as a cow will continue to give milk if you keep milking it. What happened when the Snatcher arrived signalled the start of something new - the wholesale theft of national assets, like cutting the cow to pieces bit by bit every time you fancied a barbecue. Forty years later - no cow. Unfortunately, the narrative continued to blame everything negative on Europe, so the referendum result, in hindsight, was closer than we should have expected. Now there's no-one left to blame, there's no social contract or sense of community, and these cúnts don't care - their (i.e. our) money is waiting for them when we finally empty them.

Then we get the media and uneducated criticising Labour because they cannot take a 98 Skoda and turn it into a new Aston Martin using only duct tape and a lump hammer.

I'm so slumped in despair I can't even work out a decent metaphor anymore. I'm about done.

57 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's worth remembering that austerity was initially accompanied by the bullshit about Cameron's Big Society and an endless stream of right wing economists and think tanks promoting Crowding Out theory with claims that private capital would step in to replace public spending. Those arguments have been abandoned and erased from history like a Lost Prophets fan binning their tour t shirts but circa 2009-2012 the media were holding this up as sensible economic orthodoxy.

The Tories are at an economic dead end. They can't bribe voters with more privatisations, house prices can't jump up again and private debt is maxed out. They have nothing to offer.

2 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Labour have no chance of winning the election. Not a hope in hell.

HM, Detournement outlines exactly why they will. Although it could well be more a case of the Tories losing it.

3 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

HM, Detournement outlines exactly why they will. Although it could well be more a case of the Tories losing it.

Unfortunately with the first past the post system the seats that matter are natural forelock tugging Tories and will have a permanent raging hard on with Johnson's right wing jingoism and lap it up and sweep him back with a majority. I'm done with Britain. Time for independence for Scotland and work to a left wing government and a more caring society. 

Edited by Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier

10 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Unfortunately with the first past the post system the seats that matter are natural forelock tugging Tories and will have a permanent raging hard on with Johnson's right wing jingoism and lap it up and sweep him back with a majority. I'm done with Britain. Time for independence for Scotland and work to a left wing government and a more caring society. 

I honestly think that the working class Tory is a dying species. Johnson will end them, as the realisation sinks in that "Boris being Boris" means everybody, and I mean everybody, who has to go to work to survive is going to be fúcked. It may take a while and some soul-searching, but there's a lot of people going to admit that a mortgage and a PCP Audi doesn't get you into the club, and never,ever will. Don't worry, though, all you aspirational optimists, the Labour Party will still be here and will welcome you. Because it's what we do.