FA Cup 2019/20

Eednud

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Wtf was he doing - no-one near him and side foots it for an og.

You should have read the previous post, now quoted below.

2 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:

Ooft someone check that man’s Bet365 account 😂

That was my immediate reaction and even my lesser half, a Liverpool fan, agreed. 

The BBC's replays showed that Love had his eyes focused on the ball from when it was crossed. 

He could/should have cleared it easily but it looked like a deliberate OG. \

ETA - Love did not even look upset or embarrassed afterwards.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

21 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I see Klopp has said it will be the Liverpool youth team for the replay and that he won't be in the dugout either.

I'll need to see the schedule for the proposed dates, but I do know he fully intends to have the winter break for him and the full first team squad. If it falls in those dates, fair play to him for making good his promises. It's probably throwing away a potential trophy, but that seems to high on his agenda, and his players seem to love him for it.

Edited by Musketeer Gripweed

2 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I'll need to see the schedule for the proposed dates, but I do know he fully intends to have the winter break for him and the full first team squad. If it falls in those dates, fair play to him for making good his promises. It's probably throwing away a potential trophy, but that seems to high on his agenda, and his players seem to love him for it.

It's probably a big part of why those players are playing as well as they are for him.

I see Klopp has said it will be the Liverpool youth team for the replay and that he won't be in the dugout either.

He really is a moaning faced c**t. Time for the FA to grow some balls and start heavily disciplining him and others like him who keep up with their B.S arguments. They keep going on about fatigue and player welfare but as far as I’m aware there hasn’t been any major increase in games for nearly 30 years, all the while sport science has come on along way and squad sizes have got bigger and bigger. The two competitions with comfortably the most games played are never questioned nor are the voluntary games they get involved with. It’s such crap.

He really is a moaning faced c**t. Time for the FA to grow some balls and start heavily disciplining him and others like him who keep up with their B.S arguments. They keep going on about fatigue and player welfare but as far as I’m aware there hasn’t been any major increase in games for nearly 30 years, all the while sport science has come on along way and squad sizes have got bigger and bigger. The two competitions with comfortably the most games played are never questioned nor are the voluntary games they get involved with. It’s such crap.

The epl told all the clubs to not schedule first team games during the break. The FA scheduled cup replays during the break. What are they supposed to do? From BBC:

In a letter sent to clubs from the Premier League in March, teams were told they were "expected to honour and respect the underlining rationale for the mid-season player break, namely to provide their players with a break from the physical and mental rigours of playing matches during the season".

"Clubs should not arrange competitive or friendly matches with other clubs during the mid-season player break," the letter continued.

50 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Replay is Tuesday Feb 4th, which is in amongst the half arsed split break dates. Liverpool's last league game before it is Sat Feb 1st and their next one after it is Sunday 15th.

If Klopp didn't want a replay he should have played a strong enough team to win the first game.

Replays should not be scrapped, they can be absolutely magic for the wee teams, for their fans and financially. Imagine being a Carlisle fan and getting Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea away. You can't make the 1st game but Carlisle somehow get a draw, would you prefer the risk of pens or a chance to see the big boys at home under the lights? Ok you might win the shootout, but then you might get another away tie against some pish like Peterborough or MK Dons - you're probably still going out, but with a whimper instead of a night to remember.

16 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

The epl told all the clubs to not schedule first team games during the break. The FA scheduled cup replays during the break. What are they supposed to do?

No so.

Break wasn't to give clubs minimum 14 days off. It was to give them minimum 10-11 days off.

Clubs receiving their break on weekend #2 have CL/EL games in the midweek following.

midweek             FA Cup R4 replays
Sat 8th Feb        winter break (12 clubs)
midweek             winter break (all clubs)
Sat 15th Feb     winter break (8 clubs)

midweek             CL/EL R1:1

For an entertainment industry which massively rewards men for playing or coaching football it is extraordinary to see Klopp, Guardiola, etc. constant attacks on FA cup replays, LC, Christmas, wanting EPL cut to 18, etc.

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Yep: it's decreased.

EPL cut from 22 to 20.

CL 2nd groupstage scrapped.

FA Cup replays scrapped from R5...  all '2nd replays' scrapped.

League Cup replays scrapped... 2nd legs R1 & R2 scrapped... CL/EL entrants byed to R3.

Full Members Cup scrapped.

Edited by HibeeJibee

All of the teams at the top have enough money that they should have squads big enough to manage. a large number of fixtures, they don’t need to play every star player in every game.

the team Liverpool put out yesterday should have had enough to beat Shrewsbury Town, they had a lot of decent players who have been in the first team this season out there. That they didn’t is nothing to do with playing the best players too much and everything to do with simply how they played on the night. 

It feels like classic deflection from Klopp. Nobody is really talking about how his team surrendered a two goal lead to a team in 16th place, two divisions below them - it's all about his lack of respect for the FA Cup.

As far as I can see, there's only two c***s complaining about domestic cup competitions - and it's the two with the biggest squads in the country. It's pathetic.

I would introduce a change to the domestic competitions in England - teams need to register a squad at the start of the season for each cup competition. If you want to win it, name a strong squad and shut the f**k up if you need a replay to get past lower league opposition. If you don't give a toss like you say, name a colt squad.

That said, that would almost inevitably be closely followed by calls to have an 'Elite FA Cup' which would no doubt be held in the middle of the desert. Bet they wouldn't be tired for those fixtures. And Neil fucking Critchley wouldn't be managing it either.

Klopp is wrong on replays (IMO) although this is coming from. The perspective of a fan of a lower league team for whom replays are often highly lucrative for the club. 

I can see his frustration as there are too many games in the calendar. 38 PL games, at least 6 Champions League games (now 8), the Club World Cup and whatever Carabao Cup games and FA Cup games the team lends up playing.  2020 is also a European Championship year where several of his players will also be. 

Add in all the travelling too and there is very little downtime. 

The apparent obsession with adding more games (changing the Champions League to increase games again), expanded World Cup and Euros and it is getting a bit annoying. 

Yes the players are all professional athletes, but the amount of games being asked of them is beginning to reach an unreasonable level. The physical demands of the game are increasing as well - they are humans, not robots. 

Additionally, I don't really think he's shown contempt for the cup per se; players need rested and if he'd fielded that line up in a league game the club would've been fined for fielding a weakened team and would have had a whole load of negative publicity levelled at it. 

Edited by Michael W