FA Cup 2019/20

Eednud

Correct. They only check "important" decisions - goals, penalties and red cards. So a player can dive and win a free kick and it wouldn't be checked even if his team then scored directly from that free kick. Or in your example if a goal was then scored from the resultant corner. After a "big" team get done by that, they will lobby to get every decision checked by VAR just in case a incorrectly awarded throw in on whatever leads to a goal. Those of us who have been against VAR from the start saw these issues coming but it gives me no real pleasure to be proved right.

If the ball had went out for a corner, for example, in the game and wolves then scored from the corner the goal would stand. Once play has restarted after the ball has gone out of play/or the ref has given a foul VAR can’t go back to change any decisions from before the game was restarted.

50 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Am I right in saying that if Romero has saved that and the ball then went for a corner, VAR wouldn’t have checked if it was a handball?

Correct but again, it is nothing to do with VAR. The handball rule itself only applies if it leads directly to a goal; no goal and that wouldn't have been considered handball. 

7 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Why VAR there. Clearly onside. 

22 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Am I right in saying that if Romero has saved that and the ball then went for a corner, VAR wouldn’t have checked if it was a handball?

They only check "important" decisions - goals, penalties and red cards. 

51 minutes ago, David W said:

Correct but again, it is nothing to do with VAR. The handball rule itself only applies if it leads directly to a goal; no goal and that wouldn't have been considered handball. 

It's a rule brought in specifically for VARball though - those handballs are never being spotted or awarded in normal football.

I think this is the first time I've come across this commentator, but I already really, really hate him.
I'm a bit surprised at BT actually in that they usually take the FA Cup (and any Man Utd game) very seriously but last night it's as if it was a chore. Paul Dempsey is more known as a presenter and boxing commentator than a football commentator, they had Paul Scholes and Paul Ince (groan) as pundits and they were pitch-side rather than in a studio, etc. Seemed a bit BBC Alba compared to the usual BT output.

11 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
13 hours ago, accies1874 said:
I think this is the first time I've come across this commentator, but I already really, really hate him.

I'm a bit surprised at BT actually in that they usually take the FA Cup (and any Man Utd game) very seriously but last night it's as if it was a chore. Paul Dempsey is more known as a presenter and boxing commentator than a football commentator, they had Paul Scholes and Paul Ince (groan) as pundits and they were pitch-side rather than in a studio, etc. Seemed a bit BBC Alba compared to the usual BT output.

Said this to a couple of my mates. Even if that was a brilliant game last night he would've made it sound boring.

On 14/01/2020 at 21:51, Mr. Brightside said:

IMG_6016.jpg
emoji848.png

On 14/01/2020 at 22:02, Mark Connolly said:

I really hope that was an accident...

On 14/01/2020 at 23:09, Miguel Sanchez said:

You'll have to explain this one to me

On 14/01/2020 at 23:11, Mark Connolly said:

Saville. Now then.

I’m still utterly baffled by this. Is it just that there’s a person named Saville?

9 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Ah right know about Jimmy’s catchphrase, before my time. Bit of a bizarre one for them to put that in the tweet then.

Don't worry. We were born in the 90s, so it wasn't obvious. Pretty sure the only reason I know he said that is because of Hugh Dennis in early Mock the Week episodes.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DAVIDB69

With Leicester reserves scoring early it doesn’t look the most appealing of remaining Saturday and Sunday TV games .

Southampton v Tottenham should have been a tv fixture, rather than Man City at home to lower league and the Liverpool youth team.