FA Cup 2019/20

Eednud

"Excessive force or brutality" is the definition of violent conduct in the laws of the game. It was clearly neither of those things.

Genuine question. If a player throws a punch, attempts to kick or head butt an opponent but doesn’t connect could that be a red card if judged that the intent was there?

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
"Excessive force or brutality" is the definition of violent conduct in the laws of the game. It was clearly neither of those things.

How can kicking someone off the ball be anything other than violent though?

Because it's not violent under the extremely clear definition of the word in the laws of the game. I don't really understand where the confusion lies. Presumably by your logic the Leeds player should have been off for it too, since any hand in the face must be violent since there's never any need to touch someone's face?

Edited by craigkillie

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Genuine question. If a player throws a punch, attempts to kick or head butt an opponent but doesn’t connect could that be a red card if judged that the intent was there?

Yes, if the force behind the attempt is considered excessive. If you take a big swing at someone then it's violent conduct whether you hit them or not.

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
For it to constitute "violent conduct" it has to actually be violent.

What constitutes violent? He kicked the guy when he was jogging away, I don't know how that's not a red.

Excessive force or brutality. We only saw it in slow motion though which makes it look worse.

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

"Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made."

Because it's not violent under the extremely clear definition of the word in the laws of the game. I don't really understand where the confusion lies. Presumably by your logic the Leeds player should have been off for it too, since any hand in the face must be violent since there's never any need to touch someone's face?
I see. I had no idea kicking folk off the ball was now allowed. I'm just surprised it's not a tactic deployed more often if it's not a red card offence. Dead legs could be handed out all around.

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

What is “clearly” excessive force or brutality then?

Excessive force = a challenge with a level of force in excess of what might normally be expected in a football match (ie not a wee daft flick).

Brutality = a challenge with an intention to hurt.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I see. I had no idea kicking folk off the ball was now allowed. I'm just surprised it's not a tactic deployed more often if it's not a red card offence. Dead legs could be handed out all around.

Kicking people hard enough to give them a dead leg would clearly be a red card. Flicking out at someone's boot isn't.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'd like to see an example of a dead leg being handed out without the kick involving excessive force or brutality.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yip he really is a moaning faced p***k.

Taylor has left his cards hasn't he? How Xhaka hasn't been booked is unreal. There's an argument he could have been off now.

Xhaka should have been off for his first two challenges as both were yellow cards how he got away with another two is beyond me.

If this had been a championship game and ref he would have been gone, Taylor bottled it, the three bookings he dished out were pale in comparison.